[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does a adapter exist which converts multiple SATAs into a si

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: received_10157460253765457.jpg (2KB, 184x61px) Image search: [Google]
received_10157460253765457.jpg
2KB, 184x61px
Does a adapter exist which converts multiple SATAs into a single USB. the best I can find is something like

>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-in-1-USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-HD-HDD-Adapter-Converter-Cable-/152019717273

In combination with some sort of USB hub.

I'm looking to make an external hard drive containing about 4 HDDs, I'll be using a PSU so the power that a USB can draw shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>56352253
Sure, Orico for instance has quality backplanes and multi-slot HDD docks.

Note that even on USB3, you will bottleneck your HDD's speed if you run 4 of them off a single port... though I guess it's not worse than using a NAS on GB Ethernet.

Also, if this is storage for a shitty laptop, why don't you just set up a NAS box instead?
>>
>>56352298
Pic of one of these.
>>
>>56352298
The plan is to ultimately to attach an odroid xu4 and convert it to a NAS, for now just an external drive will work fine
>>
File: scishion_v88.jpg (116KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
scishion_v88.jpg
116KB, 700x700px
>>56352358
Sure. Well, I'll suggest you go browse Aliexpress for the Oricos or other docks and enclosures, prices are pretty low there.
>>
>>56352452
They seem to be around the $100 Mark, I could get 4 of the adapters that I previously linked and a USB hub for significantly less.
>>
Search for JBOD enclosures
>>
>>56352521
The Oricos are just the no trouble solution.

Avoids having like 10+ exposed cables together with exposed drives that still need to be laid out and possibly cooled. And it probably has a far more efficient/safer PSU and better USB3-SATA controller. And I've actually had various issues with 24/7 operation of drives on shitty USB controllers, they disconnect and what not - if you run 4+ drives because you do RAID that's then a major pain in the arse.

But if you want to save money, sure, use the other solution. I personally wouldn't bother, they're still fairly inexpensive, even if it's not THE most inexpensive solution.

There are also devices in between the Orico quality gear and the "bunch of loose cables on $2 controllers" approach to be found on Aliexpress.
>>
>>56352676
The one linked seems like a really nice option, on Amazon for £68. I'll do some digging and see what i can find. Would I be able to easily convert something like that into a NAS when the time called for it. I presume it should be pretty straight forward and similar to what i previously planned with the odroid xu4
>>
>>56352676
Don't these dramatically lower the life and speed of an average hard drive because they have no top frame to secure it from vibrations?
>>
>>56352999
No. Works fine. And they should be cool enough too with typical ambient air, they do have some distance between the slots.

The only danger is that if you place them on the floor, you could like, kick them and break a port on either the drive or the dock... though even that isn't too easy with this design.

>>56352799
>Would I be able to easily convert something like that into a NAS when the time called for it. I presume it should be pretty straight forward and similar to what i previously planned with the odroid xu4
This doesn't have a full computer inside anyhow, it's just a dock for HDD that provides power and "redirects" it all through that USB/eSATA port.
>>
>>56353735
Exactly, that's why I would need to hook up the odroid to it.
>>
>>56352676
>>56352313
>Orico
>Not icybox aka Raidsonic now

Good luck not getting full speeds senpai.
>>
>>56352676
Many routers have an USB port at the back now, for some basic network storage.
>>
>>56354888
Isn't Orico the OEM for Raidsonic...?

Either way, Orico stuff is usually ~as good as it reasonably can get.

>>56357337
Good point. That's something that you could use.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.