[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so who is still on xp? I just installed xp on my d630. what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: microsoft-xp.png (160KB, 1357x992px) Image search: [Google]
microsoft-xp.png
160KB, 1357x992px
so who is still on xp? I just installed xp on my d630.

what adjustments do you guys recommend for 2016?
>>
no one?
>>
>>56349179
>what adjustments do you guys recommend for 2016?
Install Gentoo
>>
File: vaioR-spec.png (35KB, 674x532px) Image search: [Google]
vaioR-spec.png
35KB, 674x532px
pretty much just used it as-is and it was fine
>>
get some cool UI mods lke windowblinds or stylexp / spherexp
>>
>>56349179
Donate it to the public library, they'll never go past xp anyway.
>>
My side PC that is currently not in use still runs XP, if I ever upgrade it I am going to go to 7 though, or maybe Windows Server.
>>
>>56349685
I actually changed the desktop icons to look like windows 98 and changed the theme to class as well as the start to classic.

I wanted that windows 2000 aesthetic
>>
I use XP at work.
>>
>>56349741
At the public library?
>>
what have you guys done with your xp builds brahs?

inb4 linux

I already have xubuntu running on a dell mini 9
>>
>>56349744
compatibility testing
>>
>>56349729
The 'adjust for best performance' makes it run a little better too.

I held out until last year on xp. Then I used it as a research center to build my current machine. Now the xp machine has been given shop computer duty as a calculator, camera, etc.etc. off of the web.

The limited web browsing is what inspired me to build a new machine. Like being on a tiny island of functionality that kept getting smaller and smaller.
>>
the look of classic windows is way to nice for me to give up. I'd consider win 7 since you can make it look like 98 but the forced upgrade shys me away from it
>>
>>56349820
just install enterprise
I don't understand why /g/ at large doesn't do this in the first place
>>
>>56349820
I can't seem to get it to look like 98.

I mean the colors are kinda similar but it can't nail the real look.
>>
>>56350091
why bother making it into something it will never be when it's just fine and professional looking enough with classic mode

that green looks like garbage anyway, when you've worked with enough shitboxes it almost needs a trigger warning attached to it
>>
>>56349179
I have an old Thinkpad T60 still running a Puppy Linux/Win XP SP3 dual boot. Puppy is used for internet, while XP is there for productivity, to be used with old programs and hardware that don't like to play ball with win7 for some reason.
>>
>>56350246
what software do you use on it?

firefox works on xp but I have been memed out with the vulnerabilities talk that I feel like I shouldnt go online with it
>>
>>56350270
>I have been memed out with the vulnerabilities talk that I feel like I shouldnt go online with it
for the most part it's FUD disseminated by the same kind of retard who thinks you can get AIDS with a handshake

firewall your shit and stick to trusted websites, you'll be alright
>>
>>56350270
I have an old Humax digital set-top box from 2006. The Thinkpad is used to download my recordings from the set-top box, I need Win XP for this because the required software is not compatible with 64-bit Win7.
>>
I use it on my workshop d610.

It works fine, and is connected to the net 24/7. What are the gonna do, steal my poor CAD drawings or sell someone info what workshop stuff do i buy online?
>>
does anyone code on xp?

anyone do any fun stuff strictly limited to xp?

I've heard people praise windows media center as the ultimate home center.

>>56350308
not bad
>>
>>56349179
install bonzi buddy
>>
>>56350333
I've been setting up an XP VM to run Visual Studio 6.0 on (with the October 2001 MSDN Library) to try some Win32 development. My understanding is that the MSDN Library pretty much went to shit for Win32 after .NET came out because they got rid of all the articles and code samples that actually explained the older technologies.
>>
>>56350299
thx generous chinese haxor.
good thing ur here for us!

burn this shit with fire. xp has soooo many unpatched open kernel vunerabilities... lol
>>
>>56350555
and through what vectors can they be exploited? never did I say it wasn't swiss cheese, simply that you aren't going to get insta-0wned just by connecting it to the internet, it doesn't fucking work that way

it sure as fuck would be dumb to open it up to the internet as say a web server when you can pop that shit in no time flat with some limp dick skiddo-tier shit, but for just surfing the web and watching shitty videos? please

those chinese hackers don't give a fuck about the extra effort of attacking ~5% of the global desktop OS marketshare on a good day with long-patched obscure exploits when they can devote those resources to taking over servers with insecure login credentials or more current systems that can actually be used to accomplish something profitable
>>
File: 1472268244402.png (824KB, 1476x1290px) Image search: [Google]
1472268244402.png
824KB, 1476x1290px
>>56349791
>>
>>56350668
o boi he said it xddd
>>
File: xp.png (20KB, 615x343px) Image search: [Google]
xp.png
20KB, 615x343px
>>56349179
I switched from a refurbished 2006 Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo (p5625) with a preinstalled Windows 7 to Windows XP and it's super fast now.
>>
>>56352852
oh and i forgot:

If you have problems with HTML5 Videos. I nearly uninstalled windows XP again, because i couldned watch "my animu".

Then read this http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175591-enable-mp4-h264-aac-html5-video-in-firefox-on-windows-xp-without-flash/

to make it work you have to configure and maybe add some about:config engtries.
>>
>>56349179
I recommend the adjustment of installing something from this decade you Luddite degenerate.
>>
>>56352884
But it feels nice how fast it is.
>>
>>56349179
I just installed Black Edition an hour ago.

it's doing well. only bad thing was that it didn't had the drivers of my laptop, I had to download them manually
>>
>>56352920
I agree completely. I've installed win 7, debian, Mint cinnamon, Lubuntu, xubuntu, Ubuntu, fedora 23, arch (lel), Manjaro (kek), and opensuse which has never worked in my d630.

Xubuntu has been the quickest most functional installation out of of all them but somehow XP blows it out of the water. It makes me question everything I know about leenux as I always considered it faster and lighter than any windows.

The speed plus the classic windows look is why I'm adamant of keeping XP and making it useful for something (3rd laptop. I have xubuntu on a Dell mini 9 for school and an Asus vivobook as my main machine running win 10 *Linux does not play nice with the x202e, win 7 and 8 are dead, and games*)
>>
>>56352879
I have the opposite problem with an XP netbook.
I BLOCK the HTML5 player and most of youtube scripts because it fucking blows 10 kinds of ass.

I might just install extension to pretend to be mobile, the mobile player is perfectly fine. (only on video though, the mobile subs page fucking blows)
Of course, youtube sometimes decides "oh, you can't play this video on mobile because reasons".
Fucking worst managed site in history.

Easy enough to just run it on Firefox and NoScript their entire site and manually enable only the video.
>>
>>56349179
im gel.

>buy surface pro 4
>pre-installed win 10
>6 hours work deleting all the bullshit inbuilt data-miners
>touchscreen freezes every now and then, fully unresponsive
>wifi breaks up constantly
>battery life still only 9 hours on minimum brightness
>back surface hot to touch from running photoshop
>pen keeps fucking up

every day i use it, i feel mr. gates pushing his cock harder up my tight virgin superuser ass.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.