[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>have external exfat drive >using it with linux box >learn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 71FPyNRmYVL._SL1500_.jpg (106KB, 1500x884px) Image search: [Google]
71FPyNRmYVL._SL1500_.jpg
106KB, 1500x884px
>have external exfat drive
>using it with linux box
>learn that it's not the best file system for linux
>mv all files to another ext4 drive so I can format this exfat to ext4
>shit goes wrong during the process (USB3 instability is my best gess)
>decide to rsync to fill in the gaps
>takes like a whole day to move a few TB
>realize that a lot of files that I was mv'ing on the exfat drive are visible, but 0B
>realize I rsync'd a bunch of 0B files that had previously been successfully mv'd

OK, but then

>hook up exfat drive to Windows
>can open all of the files that showed up as 0B in linux just fine
>but some of the other files are messed up for some reason
>use repair drive feature
>now all of the files that were 0B on linux are 0B on Windows too

Fuck.

I'm trying to recover with Recuva on windows but I'm getting corrupt shit even though it says the files are recoverable. I'm doing a deep scan to see if that helps. The data *has* to be there.

It's not crucial data, it's just going to be a pain to, uh, get again. Any ideas for what to do? Are there better tools for this?
>>
>>56341017
So basically you fucked up bigtime with not backuping while some files were corrupt instead of all of them. Active @ file recovery always works like a charm for recovering corrupt files.
>>
>>56341017
>mv files
You should have just copied them and formatted the disk once done.

Live and learn.
>>
>>56341017
Did you use rsync with --delete option? It's not going to overwrite a file if the size is different.
>>
>>56341199
Also, it sounds like your hard drive is dying or dead. Check its SMART status.
>>
>>56341070
>So basically you fucked up bigtime with not backuping
I've researched this and can't find a solution that makes sense for what I'm doing. Essentially it's a shit-ton of (legally of course) ripped movies. So there's a question of how much it makes sense to invest when I *can* theoretically get everything back, it's just a pain in the ass to do so. Every NAS I look at costs more than the drives I'm going to put in it. The most I want to spend on it is about $150, but most 4-drive bays are like $300. Building a box seems like a better investment, but I'm just not there yet. I'm open to suggestions.

>>56341199
My command was `rsync -aPv --append-verify /media/external1/Movies/ /media/external0/Movies`. Maybe I ran it with different args at some point. It's been a long couple of days trying to move this data around.

>>56341220
I chalked it up to the fact that I was dealing with exfat. What prompted me to switch were forum posts about people losing data with exfat. My enclosure also seems to have some issue with high-bandwidth transfers over USB3 for extended periods of time (hours), which I also observed on Windows.

This drive is from 2012, though. I'll check it out.

>>56341130
>copy
I guess the point was to know what had or hadn't been transfered. Blank drive would have meant I was done.

I basically should have just used rsync from the onset, but I didn't even know what it was.
>>
>>56341297
The way rsync works is it checksums files on both drives. If the checksums are different, it shouldn't overwrite anything unless you specifically tell it to delete. It sounds like something is fucked with hardware though. Your drive might be on its way out.
>>
>>56341377
I could see myself having tried to mv a second time. Maybe that's where everything got fucked. I honestly can't remember anymore. I'm out of my element working strictly from the command line, I got confused about mount points and shit, it was bad.

I'll check the drive now.
>>
>>56341377
Nawp all drives reading as Good in CrystalDiskInfo. I think there's a couple of factors in play here:

1. my "linux box" is an ODROID XU4 that I'm using for a Plex server, so we're not talking about the most mainstream of devices here, could be the hardware or the software, not 100% sure. this morning I couldn't even SSH in and had to reboot it and restart rsync for the 2nd-3rd time
2. my enclosure has a few bad reviews for stability issues over USB3, and is an older enclosure from 2012. Seems to be fine except for really long, sustained transfers, I've seen it take a shit. Can't even use a cable much longer than 3ft or transfers drop.
>>
>>56341596
So you're using an SD card on that Odroid? Have you done an fsck on it? Does your Odroid have a power switch or do you yank the cord to turn it off? That sounds like your main culprit right there my African friend.
>>
>>56341658
>So you're using an SD card on that Odroid?
Yes

>Have you done an fsck on it?
I don't even know. I don't think so.

>Does your Odroid have a power switch
Yes

>That sounds like your main culprit right there my African friend.
>>
>>56341850
I didn't even mean to quote that last part. How did you know I was from Africa though?
>>
I'm trying Active@ right now to see what happens. Like Recuva, it shows a recoverable file. Problem is Recuva just gave me a corrupted piece of shit. Maybe Active@ is smarter somehow.

Last attempt will be to try to recover the files from the drives I originally mv'd them to. It's a longshot but who knows.
>>
Active@ seems to be working. I got a viewable mkv at least. Let's see where this goes!

I need an intermediary drive to move recover to, but knowing it's all there waiting for me is comforting enough in the meantime.

Thanks for the suggestions.
>>
>>56341199
>>56341377
>It's not going to overwrite a file if the size is different.
Yes it will. --delete makes rsync delete files that no longer exist in the source directory, nothing else.

>The way rsync works is it checksums files on both drives
So that it can copy the files if they're different. It would be pointless to do any checksums if was not going to copy the files anyway.
>>
>>56341907
Not him, but that's literally a roundabout way to say "my nigga".
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.