[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When was the last time you actually "surfed" the internet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

File: wrestlers using the internet.jpg (110KB, 709x538px) Image search: [Google]
wrestlers using the internet.jpg
110KB, 709x538px
When was the last time you actually "surfed" the internet?

It seems I just spend 90% of my time on a few websites.
>>
File: billhicksXSAO.png (110KB, 795x647px) Image search: [Google]
billhicksXSAO.png
110KB, 795x647px
Most days
>>
I pretty much only go on reddit and /g/
>>
File: FB_IMG_1472507046681.jpg (10KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1472507046681.jpg
10KB, 500x385px
>>56333175
>Linux troubleshooting for basics like "won't connect to internet"
>>
File: 1471007438949.jpg (62KB, 690x460px) Image search: [Google]
1471007438949.jpg
62KB, 690x460px
>>56333191
>I pretty much only go on reddit
>>
>>56332485
There is plenty of cool stuff. However, you are right: most people just log on to fb or yt and nothing else.
>>
>>56332485
You mean like using a search engine to find shit? An hour ago.
>>56333175
I've got like 3.5k bookmarks and my Firefox lags for a second or two when clicking it for the first time after startup.
>>
>>56333225
Why would RMS be opposed to reddit? It's open-source.
>>
>>56333834

>RMS be opposed to reddit
>it's open source

Not all of the users and developers of free software agreed with the goals of the free software movement. In 1998, a part of the free software community splintered off and began campaigning in the name of “open source.” The term was originally proposed to avoid a possible misunderstanding of the term “free software,” but it soon became associated with philosophical views quite different from those of the free software movement.

Some of the supporters of open source considered the term a “marketing campaign for free software,” which would appeal to business executives by highlighting the software's practical benefits, while not raising issues of right and wrong that they might not like to hear. Other supporters flatly rejected the free software movement's ethical and social values. Whichever their views, when campaigning for open source, they neither cited nor advocated those values. The term “open source” quickly became associated with ideas and arguments based only on practical values, such as making or having powerful, reliable software. Most of the supporters of open source have come to it since then, and they make the same association.

The two terms describe almost the same category of software, but they stand for views based on fundamentally different values. Open source is a development methodology; free software is a social movement. For the free software movement, free software is an ethical imperative, essential respect for the users' freedom. By contrast, the philosophy of open source considers issues in terms of how to make software “better”—in a practical sense only. It says that nonfree software is an inferior solution to the practical problem at hand. Most discussion of “open source” pays no attention to right and wrong, only to popularity and success
>>
>>56333834
Don't they shadow-ban people? He'd probably be opposed to that.
>>
>>56333175
>bookmarking Google searches
dude just search for it when you need it
>>
Calling it free software was a mistake, because it makes you sound like a beggar faggot who wants free stuff.
>>
>>56333834
It's open sourced, but not open governed.

I think RMS would like something like a 4Chan if it was FOSS and management was distributed (i.e, if everyone was a janitor)
>>
>>56334528
Shadow-ban?
>>
post the chart showing what sites now take up most traffic vs some in the past
>>
File: 1452695088423.jpg (46KB, 625x625px) Image search: [Google]
1452695088423.jpg
46KB, 625x625px
I only browse 4chan and sadpanda.
>>
i just watch youtube 90% of the time
>>
>surfing inernet
>get thrown into the sands of 4chan
>stuck ever since
>>
>>56335744

If I understand it right, "shadow bans" make it so that you can still post, but nobody but yourself can see it.
>>
>>56336125
I heard that they were doing that on /b/ at one point. Though I heard it one /b/, so...
>>
>>56336139

That, or that post was just being ignored.
>>
>>56336125
That's fucking stupid. Why not just remove their ability to post, or actually ban them? I can't see the logic.
>>
>>56336191
Because Reddit-tier shitposters thrive on attention and this is the best way to combat it. It won't do shit on 4chan though.
>>
>>56336208

I wonder what the longest someone has been shadow banned before realizing it; and in retrospect, how long were they were basically talking to only themselves.
>>
>>56336169
It was a thread a few months back where you were supposed to reply to every post to confirm that no one was shadow banned. Good fun.
>>
>>56336226
What a depressing thought.
>>
>>56333175
i like your interests anon
>>
>>56336139
No doubt a bunch of idiots were just getting their shitposts filtered.
>>
>>56336191
Because shadow bans have a way lower standard then full on bans, and they are often used to shape narratives instead of remove rule breakers. Full on banning someone actually requires the user to have actually broken the site rules, but you can shadow ban someone for posting content or having an opinion you didn't like. Basically it is another one of many reasons that website is trash fire.
>>
I don't even remember what it's like to surf the internet.
>>
>>56333175
>anime reviews
How much do you weigh?
>>
>>56336191
clic money
>>
>>56335873
i still get on digg, but otherwise this
>>
>>56339247
4chan+european news+sadpanda+youtube has been my only non work internet usage for at least 5 years
>>
>>56332485
Every time I plunge into Chinese internet and click around like a madman understanding maybe 10% max of what everything means. I end up going places. Chinese bureau for internet content has anime mascot. The more you know!
>>
File: 111.jpg (28KB, 1658x315px) Image search: [Google]
111.jpg
28KB, 1658x315px
>>56333191
>reddit
>>
>>56332485
>that pic.

Man I miss those times.
Everything was cooler somehow
>>
>>56332485
I have exactly this problem. It is hard to "surf" anymore, if you happen to find some website that interests you they often won't link to anything else within that interest and following those rabbit holes will lead you most of the time to weird ass sources.

I can't find forums that are of general interest anymore mostly because they're dead. 4chan is about the only hold out from that time.

And it seems more and more I come across regional blocks, can't view this shit because fuck you usa/europe.

So unless I'm looking up linux distros, I'm contained within 4chan.
>>
How do you even 'surf' the internet? Google something and then follow links randomly?
When I'm not on my normal sites, I always get stuck on wikipedia or specific wikis, or stackoverflow.
>>
>>56332485
>>
Only the darkweb is worth surfing. There's shit all going on up here. The Wild West was tamed as far as the clearnet is concerned.
>>
File: 1379123652095.jpg (39KB, 421x468px) Image search: [Google]
1379123652095.jpg
39KB, 421x468px
>>56339635
>Man I miss those times. Everything was cooler somehow
>>
>>56337567
Anyway you can verify this? I only use a few subreddits for tech/music and I've never hesrd of this happening.
>>
>>56340054

Yer it's on their own site https://www.reddit.com/r/ShadowBan/

reddit is cancer
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.