[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fell for the gaymen laptop meme and didn't regret it until

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: hp omen.jpg (62KB, 800x599px) Image search: [Google]
hp omen.jpg
62KB, 800x599px
Fell for the gaymen laptop meme and didn't regret it until I found myself working on the go more often. I have a 2014 HP Omen, and I can't figure out how to get the bootloader for most Linux distros to not simply boot to a GRUB console. The only ones that boot up OK are Ubuntu variants, and the battery life on Windows 10 is abysmal. Having to find an outlet halfway through the day is shit. Can somebody either recommend a good power pack(non-removable battery), or help me get Puppy booting? Running live from USB, I can get a good 6-8 hours on Puppy as opposed to only 4-5 on Lubuntu.
>>
>>56332052
disable the discrete graphics (you could do this via bios perhaps?) or kernel arguments or dsdt
just run with the integrated gpu
>>
>>56332052
>hp omen
I legit thought you meant omen as in a piece of shit, good god hp fucking sucks at naming shit.

>Since my Omen had only 256GB SSD I decided this partitions were taking too much space, and decided to delete them! However, there is one important fact: HP does not give you serial key for Windows, instead you have to restore them from recovery partition when you want to reinstall them. In order to be able to reinstall Windows in future, you either have to keep the recovery partition on disk, or you can save it to external media, like USB, using HP Recovery Manager, which is already installed on Windows. I used it to save recovery partition to USB (it took 13GB of space), and then I deleted all partitions except for Windows and UEFI.

Also I guess I'm confused by grub console because that's normal for linux, much like if you had a dual boot system where windows prompts for selection.

Do you mean it straight up boots to a cli? Then just startx and it should boot normally after that.
>>
>>56332052
Also I should ask why not try fedora 24? I always got better life out of my x220 compared to it running windows 10 now on it.
>>
>>56332085
Nvidia GPU disabled by default in Puppy, not sure how to kill kernel args and dsdt

>>56332108
Honestly didn't know about that /shame

>>56332132
I'll give it a whirl, thanks
>>
>>56332108
I get this
>>
>>56332220
b8
>>
>>56332233
Are you fucking with me, or am I being stupid? If it's the latter, please help me out here. I can't find shit on this because apparently HP did some noncompliant shit with the bootloader code.
>>
>>56332248
ok, you did not install grub correctly

follow the steps here
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB
>>
>>56332286
I have to get back to work, but I'll definitely try this tonight. Thanks, based anon.
>>
>>56332220
>>56332248
Dude RIP your fucking machine lmao
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.