[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://techblog.netflix.com/2016/08 /a-large-scale-compariso

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Vp9.png (77KB, 1280x581px) Image search: [Google]
Vp9.png
77KB, 1280x581px
http://techblog.netflix.com/2016/08/a-large-scale-comparison-of-x264-x265.html

>Here’s a snapshot: x265 and libvpx demonstrate superior compression performance compared to x264, with bitrate savings reaching up to 50% especially at the higher resolutions.

H.264 IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT
>>
Other chan sites support VP9 webm and even mp4
Why doesnt 4chan do it
>>
Netflix is part of AOMedia and they are producing the AV1 codec which will be finalized by Q1 2017.

I highly doubt netflix will use anything but AV1 once it's ready.
>>
>>56326404
Well that's not really new, AV1 is the next new thing.

It's already wprking well and compression is pretty impressive. Of course, it's still not optimized, so it's slow, really slow
>>
>>56326453

What Netflix uses and support has no impact in domestic encoding (suck anime autistics)
>>
>>56326453
>I highly doubt netflix will use anything but AV1 once it's ready.

and lose billions of potential users without AV1-hw-decoding devices? nah.
>>
>>56326694
Well considering AV1 hardware partners are Nvidia, AMD, Intel, and ARM, I dont think it will take very long for that to happen.

Not to mention they wont switch to 265 for the same reason, HEVC is only available on the very latest GPUs and wont be available until kaby lake for intel iGPUs.
>>
>>56326404
On the other hand, it takes 10x the time to compress the same video to H.265 or VP9 compared to H.264.
>>
>>56327353
But it's worth it, if you have the processing power to handle the encode. And, considering YouTube already handles it, it's pretty much a reality already.
>>
>>56327418
YouTube has the advantage of massive computing capacity of Google that sits unused during low demand hours and possibly even special FPGAs to speed up the encoding.

Normal encoders don't.
>>
>>56326421
hiroshima wants VP8 only because 8 is a lucky number for chinks
>>
>>56327353
But anime fucktard already have that with the 10bit meme
>>
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.