[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did they decide to build Android on Java? Literally why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Java-Android.jpg (54KB, 689x366px) Image search: [Google]
Java-Android.jpg
54KB, 689x366px
Why did they decide to build Android on Java?

Literally why does anybody do anything with Java? It's the slowest piece of shit to ever have been created, and 90% of Androids slowness issues boil down to fucking Java.

What were they thinking?
>>
>>56319484
I dont know shit the post
>>
>>56319507
>I learned a Pajeet language: the post
>>
>>56319484
They never used jvm and i think theyre doing native compilation now arent they ?
>>
http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/

Java is pretty fast. You're misinformed.
>>
>>56319565
They had their own Dalvik virtual machine with their own bytecode. I don't even know they they have right now. Most android code is written in C++ anyway, and Java, even on JVM, is pretty fast.
>>
>>56319507
of course you do, pajeet
you know how to shit anything
>>
>>56319507
>>56319642
You mad your job got stolen by a streetshiting pajeet
>>
>>56319484
Speed with Java hasn't been a problem for at least a decade
>>
>>56319484
>and 90% of Androids slowness issues boil down to fucking Java.
Nope.
>>
/g/ - Dunning-Kruger Effect Demonstrations
>>
>>56319484
SHART
>>
>>56319484
The startup wanted to have something fast before they ran out of money. So they worked with java.
Google bought android and we are stuck with this mess
>>
.You can write native applications with C and C++

but will you do that ? Well I should try it anyway.

>just tell me how many levels of abstraction java has ? and C ?
>>
>>56319484
because there was already Java ME mobile developers and google is using java and love it so they decide to use it probably idk
>>
>>56324071
ayy
>>
>>56319484
When apple made IOS, they didn't plan to let anyone else make applications for it. Third parties only got web"apps" you could add to your homescreen.
That's probably why they decided to go with their trusted Objective-C stack. Maximum perf and they could reuse parts of cocoa.

Android was always meant to have an app store with native, third party applications.
Now imagine the average android dev. How would pajeet react to having to do an application in C++? Especially without the smart pointers of today? It would be a disaster. Leaking memory, Access Violations, all sorts of crashes...
How does the pleb react to this? They don't say "Oh wow, this application sucks, it crashes all the time and is buggy, I better look for an alternative application".
The pleb goes "Oh wow, Android is so buggy, my apps crash all the time, like, O.M.G., like, I'm gonna get like this new iPhone, like, oh my god, because like, this Android is like, so buggy I mean".

That's why they need something to pajeetify development. Something that makes it difficult to fuck up. And Java seemed like the right choice for them.

Apple kept making it easier for their devs once they decided to introduce the app store to compete with Android with things like autoreleasepool. Eventually, they developed their own language (Swift) to make it hard for developers to fuck up.
>>
>>56319484
apps aren't slow because of java, it's because they use the most ridiculous shitty web scripting languages like javascript and python
>>
>>56326340
I want every company that uses Cordova to die.
You can IMMEDIATELY tell that it's web shit. Even the pleb can. Nobody likes web apps.

Cordova is just a tool for web dev shit companies to trick their customers into believing they could build native applications.

The stupidest shit I've even seen though is using unity 3d for app development. No I'm serious, a company I worked for actually wanted to do that. I told them about Xamarin which is now free, also C#, actually made for building applications, not games, but apparently, someone in the company knew someone who made some trivial app with unity3d before. And now, since this person has "experience building apps", we can consult him as a knowledge base.

I don't even need a second of experience to know that making an application with a fucking game engine that just happens to have rudimentary support for mobile devices and produces 40MB hello world packages and drains the customers battery instantly even if you lock the menu to 3 FPS is a horrible idea.

God damn it do I hate plebs.
>>
The problem is that most GUI applications is that they are slow in nature.
You click something and then you run an action once.
Slow operations are thus easy to forgive, as you don't click on buttons that often.
Slow languages are thus not a problem for the majority of situations.
Developing the application takes a lot of time, so a language that makes it faster and easier is very valuable.

Android is slow because the idiots who designed the language doesn't that certain things are more important than others.
Things like unlocking the phone, showing the keyboard and using the launcher should not be things that "surprises" to the OS.
It shouldn't take as long time to load as launching an application.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.