[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I want to really fucking learn computer science. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: artofcomputerprogramming.jpg (11KB, 300x259px) Image search: [Google]
artofcomputerprogramming.jpg
11KB, 300x259px
Hey guys, I want to really fucking learn computer science. I took comp sci classes in school, got good grades but all I got was a mediocre understanding of how to make slightly-more-elaborate-than-codingbat-tier java and ruby programs. All of my understanding of bash and linux(not much) came from just jumping into it and figuring shit out. I want to learn, and I think I learn best from books. I can read books quickly and for a long time, no matter how boring they are. For instance, I read calculus and biology textbooks over the summer to help myself learn before classes started. I was thinking about getting the boxed set of "The art of Computer Programming"(Knuth, I think, I am too lazy to tab out and look at the author again) and just fucking reading it all. Is this a good idea? Are there better books for me to read to get a good general understanding of comp sci/programming than these? Please help, and thanks in advance.
>>
>>56311495
Suck my butthole please.
>>
Go to school, OP. Don't be delusional. Don't be an idiot.
>>
>>56311495
>>
File: 1436915284998.webm (3MB, 800x336px) Image search: [Google]
1436915284998.webm
3MB, 800x336px
>>56311495
You need 2 things imho.
1. Detailed, concise and methodical to reach your goals.
2. Mentor / teacher

Both can be found in school/university.
Stop wasting your time and go to school or university or vocational school if possible.

I'm 31 and have never been in university, but to find a decent job a degree is a must these days where I live (Europoor here).
>>
>>56312036
From what movie is this?
>>
>>56312351
Elysium
>>
>>56311495
>going straight into Knuth
You won't understand anything and won't be able to implement anything properly.
Pick up a C programming book along with SICP (its going to take you a while), do both at the same time and do all of the exercises in both languages. If you're capable of going through that. Then you can think about getting the Knuth books, but they're largely going to be useless until you gain at least some background with programming.
Also, he hasn't finished the series yet so it'd be worth holding off until he's either dead or finished.

Assembly would be worth learning too but it isn't too important if you can't do it.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.