[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about pulling the trigger and getting a Chromebook purely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

Thinking about pulling the trigger and getting a Chromebook purely for my own amusement.

Are they worth it?

I've read you can install Linux on them. How easy it to restore the Chrome OS if I decide I want to switch back?
>>
>>56310556
They're good for a laff, but then the feeling wears off rather quickly. You could use crosh for linux, which would let you use a full de until you restarted or the battery died. If you want full linux on your chromebook, I would suggest backing up you bios firmware and such, because as soon as that gets removed, chrome os will refuse to install
>>
How's the build quality? The ones I've seen in stores seem pretty solid with good hinges and okay keyboards.
>>
>>56310556
Install gallium
>>
I was scrolling through a couple youtube videos when I found this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hq3qKeEcqg

I'm not trying to ask "HOW DO I BECOME A HACKRE?!!1"

I'm generally asking if I'm headed in the right direction. I've been learning HTML for about a month, intrigued in Python, and I'm on "Hack this site" for a couple hours a week browsing the general forums for more information.

For some reason, I feel like I've hit a gap. It's as if I'm almost about to understand a lot of the terminology and way things are handled.

I want to go deeper. If you have some websites or other tips on what I should do next, that'd be fantastic.
>>
>>56314039
Yeah. Didn't mean to post that on your board ._.
>>
>>56310556
no just buy an x220
>>
>>56310556
Frankly chromebooks are designed for online use, and even if you install Linux and force out chromeos you still don't have much space, though it is flash memory so it does have speed for that matter.

If you are doing what I would presume you are doing : mild software hacks and interesting programming that utilizes low memory and processing power as a source of challenge for efficient computing, then I would recommend you get something like a Raspberry Pi.

Personally, the chromebooks I've used haven't had good build quality. Their key layout feels awkward for someone like me who grew up with still very traditional keyboard layouts, and their overall chassis feels flimsy.

Just get a Raspberry Pi if you are going to do some enthusiast stuff or hacking.

Or get another type of laptop at similar price to make a Linux machine.

Just make sure the build, keyboard, screen and touch pad (which are the stuff you will notice the most during your usage) fit your preferences perfectly (i.e. see if you can try them out in a store in person).
>>
>>56312119
+1
>>
I run Arch on my Toshiba Chromebook 2 and it performs well enough I'd say. I've heard of driver issues because of missing modules in the linux kernel updates (after 4.4) among some of the chromebook models... but if you're just looking for something to shit post on or something with a decent amount of battery life you can browse on and manage a few small files throughout the day, a chromebook should do just fine with the right know-how.
>>
Have you read this yet?http://www.howtogeek.com/185039/4-things-to-keep-in-mind-when-buying-a-chromebook-for-linux/
>>
>>56314947
>Have you read this yet? http://www.howtogeek.com/185039/4-things-to-keep-in-mind-when-buying-a-chromebook-for-linux/

Stop breaking the damn formatting people
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.