[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will Windows EVER face actual competition? They've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

File: Windows-8.1.jpg (104KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Windows-8.1.jpg
104KB, 1920x1080px
Will Windows EVER face actual competition? They've been the monopoly for over 20 years. Is it impossible for anyone to ever compete (disregarding OSX)?
>>
They're dying and will be dead in five to ten years. Your children will be asking you "what's a Microsoft"?
>>
But the competition exists and is light-years ahead. Only it doesn't matter, because once a monopoly, always a monopoly.
>>
>>56307929
lol
>>
>>56307945
Better products may exist, but they aren't "competition" if they aren't a monetary threat.
>>
>>56307902

The day a team of developers provides an acceptable Linux alternative to Office and a distro, that's intuitive for normal people, in which to use it, Windows dies.

It's already losing market share anyway.
>>
>>56307945
kek, what competition?

For desktop or laptop OS there is no competition, unless you do back end stuff and need/want to use Linux
>>
>>56307996
>It's already losing market share anyway.
Only because the last releases were abortions. One more good Windows like XP or 7 and it can recover.
>>
>>56307902
they already lost, servers are linux, mobile is android and iOS.

They only have the dying breed that is desktop PCs.
>>
>>56307975
>better
>not a competition
OK.
Windows doesn't loose because it's not about who is better in this market.
>>56308002
GNU/Linux, FreeBSD and such.
Yes, those systems are objectively better.
But as I said, it doesn't matter. Windows is on top because:
a) It's on top and ergo has most support software from developers.
b) It comes pre-installed on almost every PC-compatible.
>>
>>56307945
you tell blockbuster that
>>
I wanted to get a Mac, just because I'm unfamiliar with them. I've used every version of Windows 95 and up even the weird ones, and I've been playing with Linux distros for the past two years.

Why are Mac's so damn expensive? I don't think any current product can be bought new for under $1000.
>>
>>56308070
Because premiums.
>>
>>56308024
>One more good Windows like XP or 7 and it can recover.

There will be no more numbered Windows releases. Windows 10 is the final one.

All further changes will be made via updates.
>>
>>56308024
Of course, but when the fuck is that gonna happen? Windows 10 is the new Windows they've already made their choice and there's no going back
>>
>>56308066
Those systems aren't compatible with the business/casual worlds though
>>
>>56308092
They've basically signed their own death warrant with their borrowing from Apple's NSA walled garden approach, someone will step in and take care of the end-user enterprise market but not until 2020 the earliest (when Windows 7 EOLs)
>>
>>56308125
I what way? How do you define compatible?
A lot of (proprietary) software is Windows-only, yes. This (and the fact it's pre-installed) is why Windows is on the top. It doesn't matter it's technically inferior.
>>
>Tried to run a business with Linux variant
>Almost goes bankrupt because of it.

Say what you want, at least my pirated Win7 doesn't make me and my family starved.

It was a LAN center type of business.
>>
Now that Microshit have started playing themselves out of the game by hiring more indians and making W10 progressively more terrible, I think we might actually see some competition from OS X and who knows, if Apple decides to let everyone run OS X it might mark the end of Windows.

As much as I hate to admit it, OS X is technically a much better OS than Windows, which is barely functional garbage programmed by thousands of indians. While Apple might employ homos and other degenerates, their CEO isn't an indian and their company isn't doing what other IT giants are doing, hiring more and more indians.

For an OS like Windows it should be a non-existing problem that updates break the system in some cases. It's made worse by forced updates, nobody wants it, they should just stop it. There is zero proof that an approach like that pleases users.

OS X doesn't come bundled with bloatware like candy crush saga and stupid bullshit like that. It has become better and better by the day, but it still retains the UNIX-like useablity which Windows never had.

I'm all in for Linux being the major OS but that isn't going to happen thanks to the copyleft mentality. While I support it, literally not a single company wants to support it. Companies need to have proprietary software and hardware and the sad fact is they depend on it unless they are forced to create FOSS content, and that's done only when some company creates something vastly superior and more popular and releasing it as FOSS.

OS X has what it takes to be the next big thing. It's an accomplished, acclaimed and functioning OS that can reach widespread use because it has everything going for it. Other than the fact it can be used only on Apple computers by design. But that could change and Apple could become the next big thing.
>>
>>56308183

Every Loonix distro is garbage though.

There's a reason no manufacturer includes any distro on their laptops/desktops.
>>
>>56308194
>making money of pirated software
You're worse than Hitler.
>>
>>56308246
I've been here a long time, and this is the most buzzword-filled, xenophobic and homophobic shitpost I've seen in a while.

>he fell for the Indian meme
>>
>>56308282

Don't blame me, my country retarded policy make Microsoft stopped their distribution of selling their OS fo small businesses.
So either I paid $120/machine, used linux(loss my customer and failed) or pirated.

Win XP used to be $25/machine for my kind of business.
>>
>>56308069
/Thread
>>
>>56308268
Garbage in what way? Some distributions are pretty bad, but Windows is in many ways worse.
>There's a reason no manufacturer includes any distro on their laptops/desktops.
That's false, some laptops are sold with GNU/Linux. Windows comes pre-installed on most, because it's more familiar to users (baby duck syndrome).
>>
>>56308353
So why do you not pay those 120$? Are you a jew? And why you can't use GNU/Linux? Or any other OS anyway.
>>
>>56308364
I havn't used linux much at all, but most anything saying 'Loonixx a shit' ive seen has the look of some kind of parroted meme or some delusional rationalization. It reminds me alot of console gamers talking about PC gaming some years ago.
>>
>>56308389

Lets say with profit for less than $0.2/machine it will take a lot of time just to get return just on the OS it self.
Linux variant failed me because most of my customer need to run their programs via WINE and most of them crashed because WINE detected by anti-hack engine embedded by the said program.
>>
>>56308364
dell or someone tried to sell laptops with linux. that lasted like 2 months and then they stopped because no one fucking wanted it.
>>
>>56308487

Also each of my machines was build with budget around $180 each.
See how ridiculous is it? the OS it self almost cost the same just like my customer PC.
>>
>>56308487
You're selling computers with Windows? Why don't you get an OEM license?
I hope you know what you're doing is highly illegal.
>>56308510
Yes, because users are unfamiliar with anything besides Windows.
>>
>>56308282
Thanks for the laugh, anon
>>
>>56307945
IBM :^)
>>
>>56308070
Install Mac to your system them?
>>
>>56307902
Not been outside in the last decade?

Every Microsoft advert has been slander against iOS, open source and android for ages since they are losing ground to competitors.
>>
>>56308405
>It reminds me alot of console gamers talking about PC gaming some years ago

That still going on
>>
>>56307902
MS have little to worry about until somebody decides to make an OS that isn't a broken pile of garbage like Linux or is user intuitive which BSD isn't.
>>
>>56308553
>You're selling computers with Windows?
read again. >>56308194
Its my own machine.

> Why don't you get an OEM license?
I already said why I can't.
Before this I owned 22 copies of original XP, but now I can't anymore because of my stupid government.
Since this happen all LAN center in my country do the same, they pirated it and Microsoft pretty much doesn't give a fuck.
The reason is because they can't sell their product to my kind of business anymore, because the policy already gone.
>>
>>56308070
Because dumbfuck fanboys will line up to pay $1000+ for one.
>>
>>56308576
this, hackintosh is interesting in itself
>>
>>56308510
Because its different from windows, which is what they're used to. They buy it, get frightened and frustrated by anything thats even a little different, and return it.
It has nothing to do with how good the operating system is.
Wait, this is just an appeal to popularity. Fuckit.
>>
>>56308729

Funny how this doesn't became a problem for any Mobile devices for the last two decades.

>Most consumer used PC just for the internet
>Most mobile phone user used it for communicating,
>Mobile phone literally came with dozens of different operating system since forever.

Are all linux variant are too hard to used just for browsing the internet?
>>
File: png.png (78KB, 1881x870px) Image search: [Google]
png.png
78KB, 1881x870px
>>
>>56308729
>>56308729

Actually.

They buy it. Try it. Realize Linux shit. Return it.

Funny how Mac's don't seem to have this problem but Freetards continue their delusion.
>>
>>56307902
Ios and android
>>
>>56308946

>USA
>Alaska
>India

Alaska?
>>
File: 1443553675878.png (193KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1443553675878.png
193KB, 1440x900px
>>56308951
Theres nothing here, its empty. Just some assumption or implication pushed as hard as can be done with context and phrasing, with nothing behind it.
>>
>>56309000
they group alaska with the USA. It goes by country, not by states.
>>
>>56309000
Yes, winfaggotry is big with eskimos.
>>
>>56308510
>>56308951
Chromebook
>>
>>56308510
I actually bought the Dell with Linux, because it was cheaper. Then I installed Windows on it :^)
>>
>>56308024
>One more good Windows like XP or 7 and it can recover.

Pffffff this is a pipe dream. Telemetry, spying, etc are not fads they are business models.
>>
>>56308510
>i failed college cause hp sold me a laptop with something called unbuntu and microsoft word did not work
>>
>>56308268
Dell used to sell Developer Ed. computers back in the day with Linux. The reason Linux isn't included nowadays is because of the obligatory Microsoft tax.
>>
File: triggered.jpg (3KB, 107x125px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
3KB, 107x125px
>>56310046
>>
>>56308268
My cousin bought a laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled a year ago, it still has the Ubuntu sticker.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.