[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't laptop heatsinks soldered on? I can't think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: s5bbhwo1_500.jpg (96KB, 500x706px) Image search: [Google]
s5bbhwo1_500.jpg
96KB, 500x706px
Why aren't laptop heatsinks soldered on? I can't think of anything that would conduct the heat better than metal itself, so why isn't it used in laptops?

>inb4 can't be done
Lots of CPUs have the heatspreader soldered on.
>>
rip harambe
>>
>>56298700
It wouldn't help that much, maybe lower it by one degree. Thermal paste works pretty good that's why they use it.
>>
The heat required to melt the surface between the heatsink and the CPU would be hot enough to fry the CPU in the first place.
>>
>>56298700

The best reason I can think of is that the heatsink and fan assembly is custom engineered to each laptop chassis, whereas the CPU package is a part that's designed to work with any laptop. These two parts are currently made in different factories and engineered by different teams. You'd need a separate part number for each combination of heatsink and CPU (remember, each laptop might be available with multiple CPUs, and successive generations of laptops might use the same cooler with different CPU lineups.)

Here are some more minor reasons:

1. Ease of assembly and ease of disassembly.

2. You might not want the heatsink, which has a moving, vibrating fan, to be rigidly attached to the CPU package (could put too much vibration stress on the pins/socket.)

3. It's probably too difficult to get the heatsink, which after all is designed to dissipate heat, hot enough to bond to solder.

4. Thermal paste is probably good enough. The real heat dissipation bottleneck is cooling the heatsink.
>>
it would destroy the CPU both from vibration and the soldering.

it would be a much better idea to just make laptops thicker and put a real fan in there.
>>
>>56298700
>Lots of CPUs have the heatspreader soldered on.
You don't seem to know as much as you think you do.

Heatspreaders are not soldered onto the CPU die itself. That's how there are hardcore overclockers that delid their CPUs.

In fact, de-lidding a CPU doesn't even require heat.
>>
File: 1470036917708.jpg (877KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1470036917708.jpg
877KB, 2448x3264px
>>56298987
>>56298936
>>56298896
>>56298852
>>
>>56298700
Ikr, good paste made like an almost 10 degree difference in my old laptop, imagine metal instead...
>>
>drop laptop
>shock shifts the heatsink 0.05mm
>die is cracked
gee I wonder.
>>
>>56298987
AMD heat spreaders are, as well as the Intel core 5000 extreme series.
>>
>>56299797
>drop laptop
>screen breaks
>hinge breaks
>chassis cracks and breaks
>HDD gets damaged
>shock shifts heatsink 0.05mm, introduces a gap between heatsink and die, laptop constantly overheats and dies shortly
>>
>>56300211
>drop laptop
>nothing happens
>thank u chinkpad
>>
>>56300225
The fuck is a chinkpad?
>>
>>56298700
Because laptops need to be taken apart.
The heatsink, and therefore the fan, which are one integrated unit, are screwed into the chassis.
You make one CPU or motherboard replacement job into a "throw it in the trash and buy a new one."
>>
>>56298852
/thread
>>
>>56300532
CPUs are usually soldered in anyways, so why does this matter?
>>
>>56299029
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.