[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did you know that all printers print microscopic dots containing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: yellow-dots-legend.jpg (49KB, 440x330px) Image search: [Google]
yellow-dots-legend.jpg
49KB, 440x330px
Did you know that all printers print microscopic dots containing your personal info on each and every page you print? This is why printers don't work when you run out of colored ink even when you're just trying to print with black ink.
>>
Thanks NSA
>>
>>56292655
Why do they do this?
>>
>>56292655
Honestly, only serves people who still use those shitty inkjets right.

And yes, I knew that, that's like ten years old news.
>>
wtf i hate printers now
>>
>>56292655
>This is why printers don't work when you run out of colored ink even when you're just trying to print with black ink.
Uh, no.
>>
>>56292655
>personal info
>date and serial number
k
>>
>>56292711
For favors with the government. I remember it first being reported as used with super high quality printers that could make believable counterfeit dollars before they did all the fancy hologram shit. I don't know if they're doing it with normal printers now. Who the fuck owns a printer anyway?
>>
>>56292655
my printer is black and white (there's only black toner), what now?
>>
https://www.eff.org/pages/list-printers-which-do-or-do-not-display-tracking-dots
>>
>>56292873
And the thing with the ones that could make believable counterfeits is a >$10000 printer is generally purchased in a way that generates a paper trail. So that serial number could be traced back to you.

You can just buy a $50 printer in cash and print your edgy anarchist shit and set it on fire afterwards. When the SS finds the dots on your counterfeits they have a starting place to look. $10k printers don't change hands very quietly.
>>
I bought my printer like 5 years ago with cash so at most they can track where it was bought because the store probably destroyed the surveillance footage already.
>>
>>56292655
how can the dots made visible?
>>
>>56292655
It's not personal info unless they actually gain access to your printer to compare all that shit. How would they know who has a printer with a specific serial number? They don't. Unless Microsoft sends them that data too.
>>
>>56292655
>using "nsa machines" aka printers in 2016

you sheepies will never learn
>>
>>56292735

scanners might do something similar by inserting pixels where they don't belong
>>
File: 1411810007349.jpg (87KB, 457x367px) Image search: [Google]
1411810007349.jpg
87KB, 457x367px
>>56292655
>tfw B&W printer
>>
>not flashing open source printer firmware and drivers
>not rooting your printer in 2k16
>>
>>56292655
>all printers
Nah, the FFS (I think) people have a page dedicated to finding printers that don't do this
>>
>>56294450
>FFS
you mean the EFF?
>>
i did actually

i think printers don't print out yellow highlighter on a copy for the same reason actually
>>
>>56294516
https://www.eff.org/pages/list-printers-which-do-or-do-not-display-tracking-dots
Yep, that's them. Forgot the acronym
>>
>>56292655

Interesting, did not know this.

Thank you, OP and >>56294550.
>>
>>56292873
>Who the fuck owns a printer anyway?
People who need to print things.
>>
>>56292655
Well I got shitty old printer so no problem for me.
>>
>>56292655

yes because I watch the EEVcuck
>>
File: nx1000.jpg (113KB, 1173x880px) Image search: [Google]
nx1000.jpg
113KB, 1173x880px
What about 9-pin dot matrix printers from the 90s?
>>
>>56294450
>the FFS
topkek
>>
>>56292655
gonna just cut out letters from the news paper as I always did.
>>
>>56293994
What if the govt scans every letter they receive for serials and just run the serial of 'suspect' letters through a database?
>>
>>56296501
>dot printers
they store your personal info using the rotational velocidensities of the dots, anon
>>
>>56296877
Also they know it's you when you're the only suspect still rocking a dot matrix printer.
>>
>>56292655
>print anyway
What now?
>>
Where do you find the dots? Do I have to go over the entire page with a microscope or is there a particular area to search in?
>>
>There are people on /g/ who don't use monochrome master race laser printers

They're like $150 on Amazon for a decent one with networking capabilities, what the fuck is wrong with you people

If you're paranoid, just blacklist the device's MAC so it can't send outbound traffic through your pfSense firewall, which I know you have because I still have some faith in you, /g/. You wouldn't use chink-grade consumershit, would you?
>>
File: what lad.jpg (71KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
what lad.jpg
71KB, 500x500px
>personal information
>4chan
>>
File: EURion.png (9KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
EURion.png
9KB, 550x550px
>his printer won't print this image
>>
>>56292873
>For favors with the government
If by favors you mean the government telling companies they can't sell their shit here unless they include this "feature".

As a copier tech this I can say that this bothers nobody and is invisible to the end user.

A bigger issue is that they print out black or blank pages when you try to make a copy of some things like checks. This is annoying as fuck for businesses because they often need to make copies of checks for their records. Normally you can get past this by reducing or enlarging it by more than 25% but I have seen some that are stubborn and you need to cover the hologram to get a copy.

Governments need to get their shit together, they can't tell some companies to prohibit people making copies of things at the same time they tell others then need to do this for their records.

>>56297734
Fuck that thing too, it often makes things refuse to copy.
>>
>>56297327
>You wouldn't use chinkgrade consumer shit would you?
Nah son of course not... So how do I hack on my Windows Vista pc? I'm asking for a bro..
>>
>>56292873
I guess you've never had to print a resume before. :^)
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.