[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is the point of Linux? why does /g/ use Linux? where does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 20.png (1MB, 1403x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20.png
1MB, 1403x1080px
what is the point of Linux?

why does /g/ use Linux?

where does a newcomer to Linux start out?
>>
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
Linux runs the world.
>>
>>56267357
If I didn't have any need to run and test php/nodejs then I wouldn't have linux on my laptop, windows just works™

Linux's only use is being able to run server code without having to fuck around with vm's.
>>
>>56267357
>what is the point of Linux?
Operate your system

>why does /g/ use Linux?
Can't speak for the rest of /g/ but I use it for work

>where does a newcomer to Linux start out?
Dual boot Ubuntu and whatever you're used
>>
>>56267357
>>56267546
>the point of linux
do run programs and do things

>why use linux
because you like the way the system works and is put together. The lack of spying is a plus but that is not the main reason to switch

>noob running linux?
start with something pre-packaged like Ubuntu. You will need to just try using it as you main OS. it will take time before you like it, but the try for dual booting so that in the transistion period you can use windows to do what you need untill you get it to work in linux

NOTICE!!!!!!!
you should try to spend all your time in linux and try to not use windows. Otherwise it is just a small toy and you will not really learn and will never switch.
>>
>>56267357
Install Gentoo
>>
>>56267653 is right
I had a dual boot with W7 and found myself going back to it when something minor irritated me and didn't really learn how to use Linux. So, I wiped and installed Ubuntu only and I was forced to deal with and solve problems that came up. Highly recommend doing that if you don't need Windows running right now for work/school.
>>
>>56267357
To be an OS that allows the end user complete control over their computer

>why does /g/ use Linux?
For fun, and for the ability to customize

Download and play around with mint, it is one of the most windows like so the easiest to grasp concepts with. Ignore Amazon botnet posters who endorse Ubuntu.
>>
>>56267357
the same as every other free (as in freedom) software: to allow you to do whatever you want with it, as long as you allow others to do the same.

>why does /g/ use Linux?
meme

its trendy, therefore i should try. he should go with the easiest to use.
>>
I don't need Windows desu
>>
>>56268416
my first experience was with fedora a long time ago. I installed it and then never used it. I have since gone to ubuntu and ran with it for a few years, and am now currently on gentoo. The meme about it is overstated, not terrible to install if you know what you are doing and only issue is plymouth doesn't work
>>
>>56267357
Jesus Christ, does anyone even read the mod post anymore?
>>
>>56267357
I started when I got fed up with developping software in windows. I was toying with PHP, and it kinda blew. I tried out Fedora in a vm for a LAMP stack and I've been using it for other servers. It started with a killing floor server, then distro hopping and more services.

I never made the switch, my laptop runs OS X and my desktop runs windows for gayems. If I need a shell, I ssh into something or fire up a vm and get my shit done
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.