[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/ micro-desktop >15.6&

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

>15.6" 1366x768
>5+ year-old ARM20
>tons of nonstandard I/O
>DIY build kit requiring 3D printing is $450 minimum
>touchscreen touchpad

>free as in freedom
>non-chiclet keyboard
>bamboo plywood palmrests

thing's actually getting funded.
>>
I like it
>>
BLUNDER OF THE CENTURY
>>
File: trash14.jpg (563KB, 769x1038px) Image search: [Google]
trash14.jpg
563KB, 769x1038px
>>56264298
>1366x768
stopped right here
>>
Nifty
>>
>take a stand against planned obsolescence
>2gb ram
>>
>>56264437
That's comfortably enough to run any linux distro. You just have to be frugal with tabs in your browser.
>>
>>56264462
yeah if you turn on computer and stare at idle desktop
>>
>Ecologically Responsible: Keeps parts out of landfill by repurposing them

>parts out of landfill
>parts out of landfill
>parts out of landfill
>>
>>56264517
It's like you didn't even finish reading a single line comment.
>>
>>56264437
They take a stand against planned obsolescence by replacing it with first day obsolescence.
>>
>>56264298
>arm
Discarded
>>
>>56264298
>that fucking laptop
Jesus Christ that's horrific
Look at those screws
>>
>>56264298
How many quarts of oil does it burn a week?
>>
>>56264462
I'd say 4gb is minimum now for doing anything more than shitposting or browsing facebook
>>
>>56264298

Oh, cool, so the point is to build a totally free-as-in-freedom laptop!

Cool, The specs aren't great but it-
>Micro SD Card Slot

Dropped.
Secure Digital Cards are nowhere near open source/open standards. Might as well buy a totally closed source laptop and get something quality. Only takes a single piece of shit in a glass of water to ruin the whole thing.
>>
File: 1470928114067.jpg (91KB, 800x804px) Image search: [Google]
1470928114067.jpg
91KB, 800x804px
>>56264298
whats mpg tho
>>
>>56264462
2gb is enough to handle 10 tabs in chrome on my atom netbook
>>
>>56265353
On windows 8, forgot to say.
>>
>>56264298
Over half of what you're describing is the laptop case, not the actual device which looks like a hd, but is in fact the computer itself. I liked that it said you could 3d print replacment parts, thus softening the blow of a broken component. We all have 3d printers at home right? A dual core 1.2 ghz processor isn't impressive either. A touchscreen touchpad is a gimmick. Don't get me started on how recycling is bullshit either.
>>
>>56265723
3d printers are rentable, but probably not much cheaper than renting a local one.
The current mobo module seems to be restricted to much of what I described.
>>
>>56265841
>not much cheaper than renting a local one.
the pricepoint that includes the case, I mean. brainfart.
>>
> literally a PCMCIA Card

lmfao those people are getting fucking swindled
>>
>>56265353
>>56265370
Alright, we get it. You go gay for atom
>>
>>56265908
Can you name a comparable product? nonfree, even?
>>
>>56264298
good call OP. I might not have seen this otherwise. Not that i'm buying. Laptops are shit period, but still it's a good project. If they had a tasteful polo shirt, I might have funded.
>>
>>56264404
>>56264696
>>56264863
>>56265908
I want "/g/ - Consumer Electronics" to go
>>
>>56264298
So what's the retail price? If it's under $400 I'll get one.
>>
>>56265353
Cute. This is a phone with a fuckheavy OS.
Wait, shit, for some reason it's only using half it's ram, it usually uses more.
>>
>>56264517
On OpenBSD I have to try to hit 500MiB RAM. I actually don't know if I ever have actually.
>>
>>56264947
SD cards are using SPI, a well-known and open-source interface. The laptop only includes a reader, not an actual sd card
>>
File: MgrDq1E.jpg (232KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
MgrDq1E.jpg
232KB, 800x600px
Small enough to fit in your cuckshed.
>>
>>56272094

MMC was open, SD is not and never has been.

SPI is only the physical interface, it is only one of the transfer modes used by SD cards, and it is the only one of several that is not proprietary and does not require a license.

>proprietary exFAT filesystem
>proprietary SD bus transfer mode
>proprietary DRM, hence the name "Secure" Digital
>>
>>56264298
>15.6" 1366x768
>2016
>>
>>56264298
>1366x768
Fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>56272149
>proprietary exFAT filesystem
Optional. It's just a block device, format it with whatever you want. I have literally never used exFAT, despite having used plenty of SD cards over the years.

>proprietary SD bus transfer mode
Optional. According to wikipedia:
>SPI bus mode: Serial Peripheral Interface Bus is primarily used by embedded microcontrollers. This bus type supports only a 3.3-volt interface. This is the only bus type that does not require a host license.
>does not require a host license

>proprietary DRM, hence the name "Secure" Digital
Optional. The card has hardware support that DRM software on your computer can take advantage of. If you have no DRM software on your computer, nothing happens.

TL;DR: It's 100% possible to use an SD card for storage without running any proprietary software
(As you should be able to guess by the fact that the very first thing on the page for the laptop is an endorsement from the FSF)
>>
>>56270944
for a fully tested one it's like 1200. yeah.
>>
>>56264298
I'm thinking about getting this one, and somehow slapping it into a regular laptop.

And bridging it somehow to be used with a virtual machine. So I have a powerful laptop processor, and a mobile-grade ARM core.

But right now that sounds like "zoom into VHS video to see the murderer's face in the reflection on a bolt" kind of computing to me. At least for now. Haven't done my homework.
>>
>>56264298
>5+ year-old ARM20
It's the only ARM CPU that doesn't hate your freedom.

>>56264404
>1366x768
>stopped right here
Maybe you shouldn't have.
You can buy the Computer Card on its own for only $65.
>>
It plays 1080p60 H.264
>>
>>56277618
That's great, now if they would make a case for a 13" model and if I could find a compatible 1080p monitor, I would have a new laptop.
>>
>>56277708
I'm waiting for version 2 which is hopefully a bit beefier.
4 GiB of RAM and a faster ARM CPU, and it would be a usable desktop.
>>
>>56274120

Even the FSF Endorsement is sorta fraudulent. And literally for marketing at this point. They plan to sell a version that disables/removes the Mali co-processor (since it's definitely non-free), that is "FSF Endorsed" using the primary CPU for graphics. But you will still have non-free hardware in your machine/device, you just don't "have to" use it. But it still fails to provide a fully free-as-in-freedom, working laptop, to me, since you'll have to have a non-free piece of hardware in the system regardless of desiring to use it or not.
It's like giving a Vegan a Chicken Salad and telling them to "eat around the chicken"
>>
I wonder if the thing can be plastic-painted.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.