[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I started playing with Elixir and I think it's pretty fun.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: elixir-vertical.png (76KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
elixir-vertical.png
76KB, 800x600px
I started playing with Elixir and I think it's pretty fun.

Would you recommend it as a first contact with functional programming? Have some tips for a lost beginner like me?
>>
>more meme languages
shill somewhere else
>>
>>56263716
alternatives? looking to build web apis and play a bit with distributed systems. Elixir seemed a bit more noob friendly than elang.
>>
>>56263856
just use c
>>
>>56263856

distributed systems? What do you mean by that?
>>
>>56263856
Go is mainstream and much easier than Erlang, I don't know what Elixir is but it's safe to assume it's a meme
>>
>>56264109
As I understand, some of this functional languages, especially Erlang (Elixir is based on Erlang) offer an extremely easy way to do concurrency, and this permits to seamlessly create multi-process applications, and extend that to distributed systems.

The language itself runs under these principles.

In theory that permits to build application that scale incredibly well and are fault tolerant.

Keep in mind that all of that comes from a complete beginner in functional programming, but it is really fascinating and I want to try to do some stuff with these technologies.

More info here http://erlang.org/doc/getting_started/conc_prog.html
>>
>>56263699
Yes. Stop shitposting and go build something. That's the only way to learn it.
>>
elixir/phoenix is ruby/rails circa 2006, and for good reason. more and more people are moving off their monolithic rails apps onto elixir. it's a really fun language, and pretty anything you cant do with elixir one can fill in the gaps seamlessly with erlang.
>>
Elixir does nothing that Erlang can't do. Erlang has been around for decades and never made it big. It's fine to learn and play with, but it's not really marketable.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.