[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 31

File: 1453774324543.png (8KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
1453774324543.png
8KB, 1000x600px
Previously on: >>56238988

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
hello world
>>
>>56251228
>>56252284
obvious samefag is obvious
>>
File: 1451345842544.jpg (36KB, 530x396px) Image search: [Google]
1451345842544.jpg
36KB, 530x396px
So I want to try Linux, but there are so many different Linuxes to choose from. Which one is the BEST? Please help.
>>
>>56252464
the one I'm using
>>
So few IP addresses...
>>
>>56252464
>"I'm a noob, I want something that just werks"
Ubuntu or one of the variants (Kubuntu, Xubuntu...) They're all the same, except for a different desktop environment.
>"I wanna do everything myself and be bleeding edge"
Arch or Gentoo
>"I wanna be bleeding edge, but I don't wanna built it myself"
Fedora
>"Who gives a shit how current it is, I want something that doesn't break or change"
Debian stable, CentOS
>>
I noticed there are always two instances of systemd running here (one for the user and another for root). Is that how it's supposed to be or is it wasting resources?
>>
>>56252714
yes
no
>>
>>56252714
Try killing one to see if it's important or not.
>>
>>56252714
you have one that mongles your system and the other mongles your user session
>>
Been siting on this for a few days now.Attempting on building firefox from source.
Link is the backtrace and below that is the build options.

I couldnt find anything relating to libthread and libxul
http://pastebin.ca/3704788
>>
>>56252714
Looks like you're infected with Trojan:0pointer.vir a common keylogger.
Run this command:
cat ~/.bash_history
If you can see some resent keystrokes, you're infected.
>>
>>56251228
Was my Linux hacked by the NSA? I dont remember installing this.

I read that microcode is teh devil and that it contains backdoors. True?
>>
>>56253140
install gentoo
>>
>>56253065
He can also just type `history`. Scary!
>>
Why are no Xorg terminals anywhere close to as fast/responsive as the TTY? I tried weston-terminal on Weston and it was just as fast. Is X just inherently sluggish, or is it some setting (perhaps to do with keyboard input)?
>>
>>56253271
Terminal emulators try to emulate a lot of old features to be as compatible as fuck (which is basically a good thing). If you want speed, try something suckless like "st" or write your own emulator just using the basics.
>>
>>56253212
First off, those backticks are seriously evil since they will execute the whole history.
Second, those backticks are seriously evil, deprecated and suck. Use $() instead.
>>
>>56253330
I do use st. It's not significantly faster than urxvt, xterm or gnome-terminal. If those 3 are like 90-100 on the speed scale, the TTY/Linux console or whatever it's called and weston-terminal are like 200.
>>
>>56253271
I see no difference in speed on my machine
>>
A friend of mine want's to try "Linux" and I suggested Manjaro. Did I do it right?
>Ubuntu: canonical marketing cancer
>Mint: insecure crap, old packages
>Fedora: being red hats testuser (cuck)
>Arch: noncomfy installation, bloat
>Debian: noncomfy install for newcomers
>>
>>56253810
breddy good first step, but it's always a good idea to switch (maybe later) to a base distro, in this case arch
>>
File: 2016-08-25-173226_960x233_scrot.png (24KB, 960x233px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-25-173226_960x233_scrot.png
24KB, 960x233px
How many days will this take?
>>
>>56253810
I don't think someone who doesn't know shit about distros besides memes should be giving advice on the topic.
>>
File: hakurei_reimu_chibi.jpg (460KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
hakurei_reimu_chibi.jpg
460KB, 800x800px
>>56252818
>http://pastebin.ca/3704788
Maybe start by just trying to build firefox from your distro's source package and go from there? What distro are you using?
>>
File: tuxchuck.png (194KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tuxchuck.png
194KB, 1600x1200px
>>56253140
microcode is often software that is fed to a piece of hardware while initializing it and often contains the firmware the device runs during the rest of its operations. Manufacturers like intel like to design certain parts of what their hardware does using microcode to make it possible to fix errors later in addition to the reduced cost of not needing an extra ROM chip.

This is considered a grey area by GNU and other free software groups because this microcode is often provided without source. While the code isn't actually run by the kernel or the operating system (and, for the most part, CANT because it's not anything like machine code that these levels can understand) it is still software that you use without access to the source.

You probably haven't been hacked, but you now have to make an ethical decision about how much you care about protecting your freedoms.
>>
Y'all distrohoppers basically just need to install four distros:

Ubuntu: Debian that doesn't suck, made by faggots.
Profit: Know how Debian works and why Canonical is niggers.

Manjaro: Arch that doesn't suck, made by people who tell their users to turn back their system clock to fix problems.
Profit: Know how Arch works and why it doesn't deserve any of it's fame when even kids like Manjaro devs can make it better.

Fedora: Know how RHEL and all the other "enterprise" Linux crap works.
Profit: Not really.

Gentoo: Know the heavenly skillz of portage and how it feels like to have a completly customized system to your needs.
Profit: Workkout while packages are compiling and get /fit/

Thanks for listening.

>>56253810
If he isn't a complete retard Manjaro is a good choice, otherwise the #1 babby Linux is always Ubunutu.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160825-004856.png (345KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160825-004856.png
345KB, 1080x1920px
When I boot it says my USB ports are drawing too much power with nothing plugged into them

Fugg
>>
>>56253990

I forgot to add it doesn't do it on a fresh install, only after installing updates.
>>
>>56253982
>Manjaro
opinion discarded
>>
Hi /fglt/, I'm using Ubuntu and since it's based on Debian, is it possible to turn it into a Debian Sid witout problems? Would changing the sources.list just werk?
>>
I want to install Debian Sid. According to the Wiki, you can either install it directly using the Mini.iso installer, or install a minimal stable system, upgrade, then install everything else you need.
>1st attempt:
>run minimal.iso
>installer fails and stops half way through

>2nd attempt:
>install minimal system
>upgrade
>use tasksel to install the tasks I want
>tasksel fails and fills the screen with error messages

What do I do now?
>>
>>56254026
no. Ubuntu =/= Debian
mixing the two is 100% guaranteed to break your system.
>>
>>56254026
>debian
found your problem
>>
>>56254032
Basically, rule over the thumb, you can install any Debian version. Then you edit your sources.list and change it to unstable. That's basically it. Oh, and dist-upgrade.
>>
>>56254032
if I want to run something other than stable, I install stable, go into /etc/apt/sources.list, change it to what I want, then apt update && apt dist-upgrade.

the installer and tasksel and such don't really get much ongoing testing in unstable until the freeze before a release, they tend to break in my experience
>>
>>56254032
see
>>56254054
>>
>>56254052
I see. Is this what people call "frankendebian"?
I keep seeing this term.

So if I want Debian, I need to do a fresh install? If so, could you point me to the correct iso so I can have Debian Sid?
>>
>>56254093
read the thread nigga, there is no debian-sid distro, you need to change your repos
>>
>>56254093
No, that's not Frankendebian
>>
>>56254093
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

but see
>>56254032
>>56254061
>>56254078
>>56254054
>>
>>56254093
Frankendebian is when you add Ubuntu, Kali or Mint repos to your debian install and basically fuck it up.
>>
>>56254124
Thank you!
>>
>>56254061
>>56254078
I don't like this method at all.
The upgrade installs a gigabyte of additional packages, throws a lot of "can't remove folder X cause it isn't empty" warnings, and leaves a lot of orphaned stuff behind.
Left me in a working system afterwards, but it just feels wrong.
>>
/fglt/ approved distros (updated now):

newfag? Ubuntu

autist? Arch

oldfag? Gentoo
>>
>>56254139
oh and if you use mini.iso, you need to hit the "advanced options" menu entry before installation to select unstable.
>>
>>56254158
apt-get autoremove

also it's the development branch, of course it's not gonna be properly cleaned up. Testing is usually better.
>>
>>56254174
well-adjusted, employed individual? OpneSUSE
>>
>>56254187
testing sucks, I want security updates in-time
>>
>>56254187
it's the upgrade to Testing that does all this.
Upgrading from Testing to Unstable is a short and painless process. They're similar.
>>
>>56254191
>unironically using OpenPEPE
>>
Why the hell do people prefer Funtoo over Gentoo?
>>
>>56254191
>well-adjusted, employed individual?
No need for /fglt/ approved distro since they wouldn't come here anyway.
>>
>>56254209
>not letting KEK run your computer
>>
>>56254191
>well-adjusted, employed individual
Windows 10 users are not welcome here.
>>
>>56254228
Hoid dei Fotzn, elendiga Saukrippel.
>>
Which DE should I use alongside i3? Or should I just use the WM? I've been running i3 w/ Xfce for a while now but I'd like some change, especially given how Xfce hasn't had updates in years.
>>
>>56254255
KDE because thumbnails.
>>
>>56254247
Shouldn't you be prepping your wife's refugee bull?
>>
>>56253982
I can't stop distro hopping, I want to try everything to see what kind of oob experience they give. I easily get pissed when I'm not able to change the default DE and just delete everything

>ubuntu
>debian that doesn't suck
Only problem woth deb I have are outdated packages and the shitty process of changing to testing or unstable and the fact they keep telling you how dangerous that is, every single step

>manjaro
really pretty default theme, but the installation always fucked up the clockpart and never managed to set it up properly which makes it impossible to update or install anything over pacman. I also wasn't able to change the time because it kept bugging out

>fedora
there's not a single thing I like about ot,any normal person needs to add rpmfusion right at the start and the distro always felt slow overall

>gentoo
the infamous installation isn't hard, but long and tedious. Only tried installing it once on a laptop which had a broadcom wireless card that required proprietary firmware. After setting up the kernel, it wouldn't even detect the card even though I made sure to enable it in the kernel. Never got past that point because no internet
>>
>>56251228
>that "shit" spike at 2.6.32
I understand completely.
>>
>>56254362
What was bad about it? I wasn't using Linux back then
>>
>>56254333
>debian
Oh c'mon. Chaning one word in a txt file isn't difficult.

>manjaro
didn't discover such problems, could you be more specific?

>fedora
tbqh who is even using fedora...

>gentoo
why didn't you try the vanilla kernel?
>>
>>56254429
>tbqh
What is this new meme about?
>>
File: 1471570575649.gif (873KB, 346x360px) Image search: [Google]
1471570575649.gif
873KB, 346x360px
>>56253961
>While the code isn't actually run by the kernel or the operating system (and, for the most part, CANT because it's not anything like machine code that these levels can understand) it is still software that you use without access to the source.
>You probably haven't been hacked, but you now have to make an ethical decision about how much you care about protecting your freedoms.

Are you aware that your "freedumbs" argument is full of shit? What do you think the CPU is? It's proprietary. Its code is (mostly) hardwired. Microcode is just an extension of that.

If you don't want microcode, don't fucking use proprietary chips, period.

This distinction between a proprietary drivers that run on top of proprietary hardware that you have no source for is fucking stupid.
>>
>>56254397
2.6 was filled with ancient legacy code. The switch to version 3.0 was a clusterfuck. Tried lots of Kernels from 3.0 till 3.2 and none worked for me. I think it started working again at 3.4.
>>
>>56254497
His clearly said the microcode isn't being run by the kernel
>>
>>56254429
yea I'll admit the deb one, I might've fucked something up the last time I tried it

>could you be more specific
from my understanding, one should use NTP for time sync if he's dualbooting, so that"s what I did. For some reason manjaro kept fucking up the time, kept setting up the hour incorrectly(an hour behind) even if the timezone was correct. The same also transfered over to Windows as well, on every boot Windows would have the same incorrect time until I synced it. It stayed fine as long as I didn't boot to Manjaro again

Now the problem that comes with this is that you can't update or install anything because pacman can't sign the keys and update the keyring, since the time is incorrect

>vanilla kernel
what do you mean? I followed the gentoo handbook guide and as far as I know I had to edit the kernel to at least enable support for broadcom cards
>>
>>56253982
>Arch that doesn't suck
Nope, actually the memes are real. Their keyring fucked up my system yesterday, had to re-install manjaro.
>>
Another Debian question:

--no-install-recommends

Yes or no?
>>
File: IMG_20160825_015331.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160825_015331.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
I only get this error after I install and do the first round of updates, before then I can reboot just fine.
>>
>>56254626
Meh, usually you end up installing most recommendations anyway. The muh bloat meme is kinda retarded.
>>
File: 12506712512.jpg (41KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
12506712512.jpg
41KB, 960x960px
>>56254362
>>
>>56254626
>yes
something won't work properly
>no
bloated system
>>
How do i close all ports on linux except the ssh port and the port 80?
>>
How do I into system wide audio processing /g/?
I know about the eq plugins for Jack/Pulse, but I want a parametric equalizer and sofalizer, ffmpeg can provide both (and I use both with mpv) but I don't know how I could make that system wide
>>
>>56255084
#ufw deny from * to any port *
#ufw allow from * to any port 22
#ufw allow from * to any port 80
>>
I noticed ubuntu server offers dns server package, why would i want to ran my own dns server?
>>
>>56255228
Oh neat that works exactly like .htaccess
>>
>>56255230
You don't select it if you don't want it
>>
>>56255239
It should work theoratically, check your settings
>>
>>56255240
No i want to know why would i run my own dns server? like what is the point?
>>
>>56255230
You should mail Shuttleworth and tell him to remove it from the repos, since you don't need it.
>>
>>56255250
I don't think he phrased it properly see >>56255243
>>
>>56255243
The people who actually run the DNS servers need an OS, too.
That OS is probably Linux.
Debian packages pretty much everything available in the Linux world.
Ubuntu gets its packages from Debian.
>>
>>56255243
Let's say you are a sys admin in a cult town, where to prevent the corruption of the cult memebers they have no internet and only use intranet.. now the cult memebers want to have their own websites but nobody wants to go to websites by typing http://192.168.1.50 that is fucking retarded, so you can set up your own local dns server and then the cult internet goers can simply use http://koolaid.drink instead
>>
Is it possible to change a 32 bit distro install into a 64 bit? basically i changed the cpu in my computer for one supporting hw virtualization so i can now run 64b guests and i don¨t want to have to reinstall the entire distro and have to configure that shit again
>>
>>56255476
Dhaka?
>>
I work in PC repairs, and want to incorporate more linux, but I don't know linux versions for many of the tools I need.

Can someone recommend me a HDD testing tool (scanning for dead sectors), and a way to efficiently make and flash disk images?
Being easy to use is a huge plus.

Thanks, friends.
>>
>>56252464
Install Gentoo
>>
>>56243493
So, small update-
I managed to log in.
I'd like to thank the anons who gave me some tips on helping me out, such as checking password mispells, and whether I installed a testing version.

Loaded it up, pword didn't work, rebooted, went into GRUB console, set pword as 1234 and then rebooted once more.

New set one didn't fly, but the old one I set in actually worked.

Weird, ain't it?

Also, the other thing I find weird is that there's not a handful of links out there with this kind of error.
>>
Okay so i finished the ubuntu server install, but it never asked me for a root poassword, does that mean anyone can now login as root because its password is blank?
>>
>>56255749
The root password is probably "root"
but yes, that's essentially the same.
Change your password.
>>
>>56255944
wot? the root acc is locked by default you pooper
>>
How do I backup/snapshot my fresh install?
My lsblk
Is like this
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 255M 0 part /boot
├─sda2 8:2 0 29.3G 0 part /
├─sda3 8:3 0 432.5G 0 part /home
├─sda4 8:4 0 1K 0 part
└─sda5 8:5 0 3.8G 0 part [SWAP]
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
>>
>>56256000
>sda4 1K
triggered
>>
>>56256010
Interesting with GParted, sda 4 is listed as 3.8G not 1K.
I think it's related to SWAP.
>>
I got this after trying the infected Classic shell from fosshub under WINE.
How do I fix this? And how did it mange to do so in the first place?
Doesn't this require elevated privileges?
>>
>>56256233
that would have been so much better if you had to complete a small text adventure to continue the system boot
>>
>>56256245
No enough space.
>>
>>56253961
>This is considered a grey area by GNU
It's definitively not a gray area for GNU, they consider it evil since it's signed and encrypted upgradeable code, and worse, projects like libreboot have only encountered a pair of CPU's that work slightly better with the microcode updates
>>
>>56255243
>No i want to know why would i run my own dns server? like what is the point?
Less latency in DNS requests, more secure DNS overall, less exposure to third parties through DNS
Just check the installgentoo wiki article on unbound
>>
>>56255540
>Can someone recommend me a HDD testing tool (scanning for dead sectors)
badblocks, in my experience better than the Western Digital tool that won't really tell you anything, you can even use the bad blocks map to exclude them from the FS but that's literally nigger rigging
>and a way to efficiently make and flash disk images?
Clonezilla
>>
File: IMG_20160825_123131388.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160825_123131388.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Hi /flt/
When trying to install scientific Linux 6.3 my Installation is halting on Pic related, any ideas why?
>>
Is there a GUI tool for configuring fluxbox?
>>
Just tried the grep for the first time, that thins is fucking awesome
I wasted so many hours of my line going through long logs looking for shit and now i can just have the shit listed in a second
fuck i wish i found out about it earlier
>>
where the fuck am i when i log in as user? apparently it's not in root
>>
>>56256245
Someone should write a text adventure for installing Arch or Gentoo.
>>
>>56255749
No, it means no one including you can log in as root.
To do root stuff, you temporarily elevate your user privileges to root's, by using sudo.
>>
>>56256564
/home/<username>/
>>
File: debian2.jpg (427KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
debian2.jpg
427KB, 1400x1050px
I'm finally back on Debian Stable, after a quick excursion to Ubuntu and Arch.

Who else maximum comfy here?
>>
>>56256583
or... you can be not retarded and type in
sudo -i
so you won't have to type sudo millions times like some indian ms tech support
>>
>>56256623
what is the command to see the dir i'm in?
>>
>>56256650
pwd
>>
>>56256681
thanks, this shit is so confusing. let's say i run some app that takes a path as a parameter and my home directory is /home/me/

sudo app -p /root/poop/

will the application work in this folder
/root/poop/
or in
/home/me/root/poop/
>>
>>56256650
echo $PWD
>>
>>56256707
isn't that php?
>>
>>56256703
sudo app -p /root/poop/
runs in /root/poop/

sudo app -p root/poop/
would run in /home/me/root/poop/

easy mistake to make
>>
>>56253360
st is not finished or very usable

I'm gonna throw lilyterm out there as a nice, minimal terminal. I know it's not minimal by suckless standards, but it has the smallest filesize and least dependencies without being esoteric as fuck.
>>
>>56256703
it will work in /root/poop/ because the path you are passing is an absolute path - aka has no relation to the path you're currently in.

Now, if you wanted to pass a path to a folder which is located in directory you are currently inside of, you would do something like this : './poop/'
The period before the '/' represents your current directory and thus that path is called a relative path, because it is relative to your current location.
similarly to that, you can use two periods, '..' to indicate a directory that's one level above.
So for example, if you are currently in the directory /home/me/ , '.' would be equal to /home/me/ and '..' would be equal to /home/
>>
>>56252535
There are plenty of experienced users on *buntu. The idea that you have to graduate to making your life more difficult with other distributions is ridiculous.
>>
I'm programming a program with a Qt GUI. I need to run an external program as sudo.
I would like to :

>ask for the user password
>launch my process as sudo
>give him the password
>get the output of my process

To do this I was going to use Qprocess, but it seems that it can't use sudo and internet recommend gksudo or an equivalent.

I'm forced to use gksudo or there's another way that I didn't found and that I might prefer ?
>>
>>56256650
>>56256703
Yo dawg, if you're learning stuff like this then I think "The Linux Command Line" (free pdf, linked in the OP) is perfect for you. By the end of the book you'll be better than 90% of the people in these threads, no joke
>>
>>56256984
I'm in no way experienced with this so take this with a grain of salt

the setuid system call can set the effective user id of a process to that of the root, if the executable of that program has the setuid bit set via chmod.
executing a program that automatically sets itself to root might do what you want to do as sudo.
keep in mind that a file with the setuid bit set is dangerous as fuck if you're on a multi-user system.
>>
>>56252729
good advice in lots of situations.
>>
quick (stupid) *buntu question:
is there a specific reason to use 'apt-get' over 'apt'.
I read that apt is intended as a more user-friendly front-end. It even has colorisation and progress bars.
Nevertheless, guides and other online sources i find almost exclusively use apt-get. y tho?
>>
>>56257041
I was looking for a secure way to do this. What I want to do is very simple, but it seems that Qt don't handle this. I'm currently looking at the -S option of sudo and see if I can write the password directly to stdin
>>
>>56257133
why does your application ask for a password anyways?
can't you simply make it work only if run as root and otherwise maybe pop up a little dialog saying "run as root or go home" or something?
>>
>>56257101
>i find almost exclusively use apt-get. y tho?
people are used to the old apt-get
people didn't updated their tutorials or whatever you're reading
people doesn't know that apt exist

>>56257160
sudo -S worked.
My program is just a GUI for another program.
>>
>trying to install guest additions
>get error saying i need to install gcc
>check to see what it is
>it's actually developed by stallman
shit i thought he was just some /g/ meme
>>
>>56257101
https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.apt-get.html
apt-get was the first front end, then apt was made to to be nicer to use, and finally aptitude is the latest intended to be very interactive and end-user oriented.

- apt-get is "low level" and most compatible
- aptitude is the newest with the most features, so it takes more resources and is probably least compatible
- apt is inbetween apt-get and aptitude, but closer to apt-get in similarities and compatibility for sure

I like using apt-get just to be safe and to minimize resource usage, but there are quite a bit of conveniences/improvements in apt and aptitude that make them nicer to use.
>>
Sometimes when i install some big application it actually lets me type in the command line while it's doing something.. why is that? it's not like the inputted text does anything
>>
File: aremes.png (680KB, 1000x616px) Image search: [Google]
aremes.png
680KB, 1000x616px
>>56257381
You should probably look up FSF, the history of GNU/Linux, and maybe watch this 6/10 documentary "Revolution OS".

He was a major factor/contributor in the beginning, being the primary force behind GNU and the FOSS philosophy. Now-a-days he literally spends all day spouting his opinions anywhere and everywhere he goes. He's mostly a meme because he's at least partially autistic in his devotion to freedom and his pickiness about terminology. Also because he becomes fatter and beardier every day.
>>
>>56257624
also according to his site, he hasn't done programming projects since 2008
>>
>>56257624
At MIT, he literally helped start a revolution in computing.
It kicked him to the curb and went in a direction he doesn't agree with, THEN became hugely successful afterwards.

That must suck.
>>
>>56257638
He's concentrating on the Hurd kernel now.
It'll be ready and much better than Linux, any decade now.
>>
>>56257699
I'm gonna use the fuck out of HURD in 2030
>>
how do i come back from sudo -i and make myself a lowly peasant user again?
>>
>>56257715
exit
>>
>>56257670
If he decided to be like "fuck freedumz" and went with the flow, would he be now rich?
>>
>>56257726
Red Hat is pretty successful with Linux.
If Stallman was a businessman, he could be owner/CEO of a company like that.

And if it wasn't FOSS, magine the licensing money he could reap from Google alone.
>>
File: 565D49D.jpg (80KB, 766x960px) Image search: [Google]
565D49D.jpg
80KB, 766x960px
>>56257699
>we have two 4 large competing OSses on the market (okay 3 of the are defacto linux but whatever)
>the user fractions are at war each other, fragmented, each of those OSes reiventing the wheel for the 10th time so they can implement it into their OS
>had the worked together we would now have one OS which rules them all a flawless piece of beautiful possible sentient code
but nope
and then stallman thinks about it..
>okay, how do i fix this?
>i know let's make FIVE competing OSes on the market
for fucks sake
and the worst part is that windows users, osx users nor droid users will even touch it, all it will do is splinter the already tiny linux userbase into yet another two smaller camps
we have already lost
the end is near
slap some nice flac file into your player app and watch as the fire spreads..
it won't be long now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY
t-thanks richard... ;_;
>>
File: s.png (8KB, 556x375px) Image search: [Google]
s.png
8KB, 556x375px
>computer keeps freezing even with newer kernels and drivers

is there any hope?
>>
I have Xubuntu, what is the best way to check my disk health?
>>
>>56257828
Freezing when doing what in which distro with which hardware and which drivers?
Please put more effort in to your posts if you want help, we're not psychic.
>>
i have a device that is automounted into /media/device
root can cd /media/device just fine, but i can't with my user account, it says access denied, can i somehow allow myself an access?
>>
>>56257992
System:    Kernel: 4.4.0-34-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine: System: HP (portable) product: HP Pavilion Notebook
Mobo: HP model: 80B5 v: 81.28 Bios: American Megatrends v: F.15 date: 10/08/2015
CPU: Quad core AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
clock speeds: max: 1800 MHz 1: 1300 MHz 2: 1300 MHz 3: 1300 MHz 4: 1600 MHz
Graphics: Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Carrizo
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260/M265 / M340/M360]
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon)
Resolution: [email protected]
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CARRIZO (DRM 3.1.0, LLVM 3.8.0) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 157a driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-34-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Card-2: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter driver: rtl8723be
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (1.4% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ02ABD1 size: 1000.2GB

The problem is the old beef betwwen AMD and linux drivers

if you search on google "ubuntu 16.04 freeze" there's lots of people with the same problem
>>
>>56258027
man chown
>>
>>56258033
>if you search on google "ubuntu 16.04 freeze" there's lots of people with the same problem
Yes, if you search for "I saw the Virgin Mary" you will find lots of people with the same thing. I'm not searching that because it's about as vague as you could possibly be. You need to narrow down what is happening and then search. Did you look in the logs? Is there a cron job running periodically? Which drivers have you tried? Have you searched for information about your graphics card + linux?
Plus the answer to the other questions.

You could try a newer kernel, that's not that new now.
>>
>>56258116
>Did you look in the logs?
yes obviously. i don't know what i'm looking for, though
>Which drivers have you tried?
proprietary fglrx drivers
>Have you searched for information about your graphics card + linux?
yes

i don't have my pc here right now, but what do you recommend doing?
>>
>>56253982
>Y'all distrohoppers basically just need to install four distros:
>Ubuntu
Opinion disregarded.
>>
>>56258148
I recommend doing the things I asked. I recommend posting errors and/or logs here for us to see. I would also recommend trying the free drivers. >>56258148
>Have you searched for information about your graphics card + linux?
And what did you find? Is the proprietary driver really the recommended one?
>>
File: living_on_the_edge_w1.jpg (560KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
living_on_the_edge_w1.jpg
560KB, 1920x1200px
Is Debian Sid pic related?
I feel Arch is right on the side, lower than the edge.
>>
>>56258101
>
man chown

Apparently not, got it working with usermod -aG though
>>
Just installed WINE on Xubuntu, but when I use 'run Wine' nothing, absolutely nothing, happens.
>>
>>56258178
alright. i will do some research on this, and come back later

thanks for the help
>>
>>56258235
open a terminal
run
wine notepad.exe

enjoy
>>
>>56258232
there is always more than one way to achieve your goal
>>
>>56258187
compare software version numbers on Distrowatch.
Arch is slightly ahead and it's designed to be run by end users, whereas Debian Sid is designed as a development platform, and IMO Apt's shortcomings are more noticeable with that many updates.

If you want to be edgy, use Arch.
If you want to be comfy, use Debian Stable.
>>
>>56257790
Linux and Windows are already at first base with each other.
OSX and Linux share much of their userland under the hood.
And the entire market is being marginalized by devices running Linux kernels.

Unix is the future, and it will be bright.
>>
>>56258148
Ah, fglrx issues.
Fond memories from 2006.
>>
File: Arch Users Be Like.jpg (162KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Arch Users Be Like.jpg
162KB, 1200x800px
just a meme i made. share it!
>>
Is there a way to make an area of a screen act kinda like another display so that when you maximize a window in it it will stretch to the designed area, but when you make it fullscreen it will normally cover the whole display? I found some tiling scripts for KDE but it isn't exactly what I'm looking for (unless I can make magic with config files, I didn't dwell too much on it).
>>
Hell guys, I'm the Xubuntu above.

When I close my laptop lid, and try to open it, absolutely nothing happens (and I'm charging it)

I checked the power options and it is supposed to turn it off (on charge) but it does not open up when I open the lid

What gives?
>>
>>56257790
Dumb despairposter. Windows 7 is still by far the most used Windows and it isn't lowering anytime soon now that 10 isn't free. Linux marketshare is rising, even if it's slow as shit. Microsoft just needs to make more mistakes to their own shit up. It's a longways there, but I can guarantee loads won't move to Windows 10 after 7 and 8.1 gets its support cut off. Also, want to have more marketshare? Make GPU passthrough possible with one click and one GPU. Gaymers will flood to that shit fast.
>>
>>56258442
>Windows are already at first base with each other.
please take you adderal you are having delusions again
>>
>>56257764
not so
if linux wasn¨t foss google would cooked it's own system
>>
Not sure if this is really the thread, but I installed sopcast and whenever I try to open a link with sp-sc it quits after a couple of seconds like that:

Start cache thread.
hook_broker_connect:msgType=2
reason=1
SO_QUIT
retv = -104
spsc_cleanup

Any idea what's the problem? I even used channels from the channels guide that work perfectly on sopcast-player (not when I enter the link manually though)
>>
Is it worth installing this kernel with BFQ scheduler for increased performance? https://launchpad.net/~nick-athens30/+archive/ubuntu/xenial
>>
>>56259262
It's worth trying, some people see a noticeable difference. Personally I find it a bit slower overall but there is an improvement.
>>
Anyone know if there is a ppa for the pf-kernel?
>>
What package on Gentoo gives access to the tlmgr command? I can’t figure out how to install LaTeX packages manually.
>>
So, i installed a server without GUI.. but how do get access to the server file structure? i want to edit files in the root and stuff and i sure as fuck won't do it one by one in the terminal
>>
How can I copy the full path of a file including the file name in Dolphin?
>>
File: big eats.jpg (62KB, 437x437px) Image search: [Google]
big eats.jpg
62KB, 437x437px
>>56258392
Debian is not comfy in the slightest in my opinion.

Backports really isn't a clean solution, and when you start trying to mix stable, testing, and unstable, shit hits the fan.

I find debian's repository system to be very "walled garden." And for me, it's frustrating. I tried really hard to give it a fair chance, but I found myself done fighting with it (and it's lack of good documentation, mind you) so I just gave up and went back to arch. A complicated user install for an easy user experience is much better than an easy install for a complicated user experience, imo.

Won't deny that debian stable is what it is, though.
>>
File: 1460199239674.jpg (71KB, 620x485px) Image search: [Google]
1460199239674.jpg
71KB, 620x485px
> From: [email protected] (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
> Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
> Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
> Summary: small poll for my new operating system
> Message-ID:
> Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT
> Organization: University of Helsinki

> Hello everybody out there using minix -

> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).

> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)

> Linus ([email protected])

> PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.
>>
>>56256984

Use polkit to give permissions. I think that's the future.
>>
>>56253140
Intel CPUs will reset periodically if they do not have microcode. Microcode is basically used to patch the CPU in case there's a severe bug.
>>
So comfy.

I'm sorry to be bragging, but this looks so good, I feel so at home with this look.
>>
>>56251228
I think I'm being retarded right now. Can I install noweb / noweave (for literate programming) on ubuntu?
>>
>>56259767
nvm, I'm retarded. It was already installed.
>>
>>56259657
enjoy the ride
>>
>unnecessary forks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y-hfG-6OFA#t=45s
>>
What's the /g/ approved replacement for space in file names/dirs, hyphens, underscores, or dots?
>>
Dear friends,

I've been writing my research code in c++ with windows for many years now. However, it is a huge pain in the ass to share my code and run others' code. I know some people have no problem doing that on windows, but I see in my short time with linux that it suits me more. Also, since I have an EEE background, I don't know how to use some must developer tools like version control.

What I'm looking for is a complete guide/book on how to develop serious C++ projects on linux for people who are already very comfortable with programming.

For reference, what I'm currently doing is writing the code, compiling from the terminal and running the program to dump my results to the terminal or a file.

If you don't know of any books, can you list the things I should know about? e.g. version control, makefile, debugging
>>
>>56259262
Just tried that and my wifi didn't work :/
>>
Trying to pass through a NIC to my VM.
When I add it to my script -device vfio-pci,host=04:00.0 It tells me group 10 is not available, even though it's in /dev/vfio
I'm not using it since there's only 1 NIC listen in ifconfig besides loopback
>>
>>56260190
Just use an IDE
>>
I can play WoW on my AMD system with wine! It was the only thing keeping me from switching back to GNU/Linux fully. I got drunk and said "fuck it" and just installed Fedora over my entire hard disk, and today I launched WoW and it works the same as in Windows.
>>
[Unit]
Description=Hentai At Home Service

[Service]
ExecStart=/media/HDD1/HentaiAtHome/startscript.sh

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Am I doing this right?
>>
File: 1470453845873.jpg (11KB, 200x176px) Image search: [Google]
1470453845873.jpg
11KB, 200x176px
>>56259577
>not a single fuck was given
>>
File: sadgnu.jpg (87KB, 900x599px) Image search: [Google]
sadgnu.jpg
87KB, 900x599px
>>56259577
>won't be big and professional like gnu
>>
File: 1406972851469.jpg (296KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1406972851469.jpg
296KB, 2560x1440px
Question:

If I leave my laptop locked with i3lock while in session, and it gets stolen, how could they circumvent it and compromise the system?

I know this might be an extremely naive question, but hey, I wanna know.

Them restarting the computer would be GG since the harddrive is encrypted using LVM on LUKS. But I want to know if i3lock is equivalent to hiding the keys below the doormat in terms of security.
>>
>>56260170
Dots_are_an_exceptionally_bad_idea.txt
I_use_underscores_for_easy_readability.pdf
>>
>>56260170
>>56260775
I only use underscores if I feel like hitting shift
>>
>>56260170
>>56260775
>>56260791

I'll piggy-back on top of this to ask:

Why is it so awkward to deal with spaces in filenames in the terminal? And do you usually use file extensions when working with casual text files, or do you prefer just leaving things extensionless since they'll open anyway?
>>
>>56260730
i do not know how i3lock handles this but when i use xtrlock i can must ctrl+alt+F2 and lock in there
>>
>>56260170
Just follow the scene standards.
>>56260775
>Dots_are_an_exceptionally_bad_idea.txt
Why?
>>
>>56260170
WhyWouldYouUseAnyExtraSignsBetweenWords?
>>
>>56259560
Since posting that comment >>56258392 and this one >>56256625 , I've installed the newest version of wine, from backports, with multiarch support. And pulled DVD CSS support from an unofficial repo, without pulling their newer versions of other programs with it.

And now I agree with you.
>>
>>56260810
>Why is it so awkward to deal with spaces in filenames in the terminal?
no idea
$ cat spaces\ are\ dumb.txt

And do you usually use file extensions when working with casual text files, or do you prefer just leaving things extensionless since they'll open anyway?
if it's just a text file I always append .txt to it
having something without a extension bothers me since file managers see it as just a file
>>
>>56260844
>>Dots_are_an_exceptionally_bad_idea.txt
>Why?
badly written scripts that find extension names with bad dot regexes?
>>
>>56260865
Why would anyone run such scripts?
Thats like moving your home directory out of ~ to prevent scripts from running rm -rf ~
>>
>>56260862
Isn't this easier?
$ cat "spaces are dumb.txt"
>>
>>56258187
>>56258392
To me, Debian Sid is extremely comfy to use. Debian Testing as well, if you're a more relaxed desktop user that just wants relatively new software and not that much responsibility.

Debian Sid requires just a little bit more responsibility when updating, (ie just fucking read what aptitude tells you it's gonna do, apt-listbugs -which you should have installed- will tell you of outstanding bugs so you can decide whether or not to upgrade now)

It's a great rolling distro, and not quite as hemorrhaging edge as Arch but still pretty up to date while being super usable. Coming from Arch to this, it feels somewhat like Arch with a bigger safety net (I don't like the AUR, I don't like running unaudited code some rando might have written, but that's just me)

Debian's social contract etc etc and their philosophy I agree with the most too, so naturally I'd like them better over the Arch devs (who outright tell you in your face that they don't give a shit about user input, only dev practicality)
>>
>>56260889
sometimes I'm lazy and forget the quote marks
>>
>>56260844
>why?
because Windows expects a meaningful file extension after the last dot, and most Linux files work without file extensions.

So if you name a file my.resume.for.the.gardener.job
Windows will wonder what a Job file is.
>>
>>56260889
>he doesnt use tab
$ cat spa[TAB]
$ cat spaces\ are\ dumb.txt
>>
I'm considering switching over from Xfce to MATE. Is it considered an improvement? I really like Whisker Menu and I don't think there's something similar on MATE.
>>
>>56260928
>>56260889
>>56260862
Stop abusing cat (concatenate) to print text.
>>
So i'm loving this dwm setup I got going, I just have one problem'

None of my changes to the
xsetroot -name
, or the background, seem to stay once I restart.

When I boot up, it goes straight to slim, which defaults the basic debian wallpaper, and it lust says
dwm 6.1
on top

wat do?
>>
>>56260944
There's mate-menu (fork from mintmenu without the mit-specific stuff).
I think it's pretty similar.
>>
>>56260953
That's the use of cat though you pleb
>>
>>56261001
The use of cat is to concatenate files.
You more to view file contents (or less).
>>
>>56260979
Is it only available on ubuntu?
>>
>>56261027
s/You/Use/
>>
Okay so i have a folder on a server

like /var/www/myweb
myweb has a bunch of files and folders in it.

How do i chmod the myweb folder so that all files and folder in, and any new files that will be created in it, are 777?
>>
>>56261036
I know of it on Debian and Arch.
And Github, so – you know...
>>
>>56261056
man chmod
will answer all your questions
>>
What's a good taskd alternative?
I don't mind syncing config files across laptop/desktop, but android is too much of a hassle.
>>
>>56260890
If you wouldn't have written exactly that I would have.
>>
Any one know why I can\t seem to set the keyboard layout for Xorg?
"localectl status" gives me

System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
VC Keymap: sv-latin1
X11 Layout: se
X11 Model: thinkpad
X11 Variant: qwerty
>>
>>56261382

It's set. You didn't explain what's wrong-
>>
>>56252464

>>56252535
This is the most accurate answer to your question and all similar questions
>>
>>56260413

>hentai at home

Why is this so funny?
>>
What's your favorite DE? I just installed Antergos in a VM and I want to try some different stuff. I've only used XFCE before. GNOME looks nice but feels pretty bloated.
>>
>>56261416
>>56261382
Forgot to mention it.
It isnt set its just still the regular american one. Not the Swedish setup I want.
>>
I've used Ubuntu for a while but I want to fall for the Gentoo meme. Would I have any difficulty using it?
>>
File: linux.png (534KB, 576x725px) Image search: [Google]
linux.png
534KB, 576x725px
I saw this and was a bit upset.
>>
>>56261659
Why would you care?
>>
>>56261659
>6 eggs
what kind of disgusting abomination is this person making?
>>
Does anyone here actually use dwm? I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how to best change the status menu.

I put an infinite loop in /.xinitrc, but that doesn't work when I boot. As an alternative to using a shell script, how do I use one of the C files on this page?: http://dwm.suckless.org/dwmstatus/
>>
>>56261692
its a big cake, take a look at the rest of the ingredients
>>
>>56261688
Why do we care about anything, anon?
>>
>>56261739
is the biggest bowl sugar?

the amounts of ingredients doesn't seem right
>>
Is there any good fonts for Arch that will work with all/most of the unicode symbols?
>>
>>56261659
He didn't even include the recipe in a human-readable format, with the permission to change and redistribute it.
>>
File: ???.jpg (846KB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
???.jpg
846KB, 1620x1080px
Is there a way to interact with my current X session over SSH?

Like, for example, let's say I'm lying in bed far from the computer and I want to start mpv from a client on my phone.
How would I tell it not to try and start mpv in my client on the phone, but to start mpv in the running X session on the computer?
>>
>>56261825
Terminus
>>
>>56261847
chroot
>>
>>56261868
Which directories do I have to mount besides / for it to work?
proc, dev and sys?
>>
>>56261659
>f-ing
>unironically censoring yourself
C U C K
U
C
K
>>
>>56261082
is this a lewd image? show me
>>
>>56261472
>GNOME looks nice but feels pretty bloated.
Cinnamon is a little less bloated, very similar to Gnome, and offers more customization and a nice menu.
Mate is a lot less bloated and behaves like old Gnome from 10 years ago. Also customizable, but not quite as much as Xfce.
>>
>>56261659
Is this what normies believe? That you compile distros yourself?
>>
I'm trying to get my gaymen VM working. I've got not audio and no network, but the graphics are working properly.
I've tried previously to get either working and the default QEMU networking works but synergy doesn't like it and won't connect.
I got audio working with
export QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=alsa
and
-soundhw ac97
but it was glitchy and stopped audio working on the host, which I need for VOIP and such
>>
>>56261883
You mount your compouter's root on any path you like on your phone (/mnt/pc/ would be good).
Open a terminal with chroot, specifying /mnt/pc as root. Then all your pc's directories will be mounted and open from there.

E.g. your PC's /home/user will be on /mnt/pc/home/user
>>
>>56261868
Can you elaborate please? I don't know how that would work.
>>
>>56261847
ssh into the re;ote computer, export the correct DISPLAY env var and you can launch X11 programs.
>>
what's the point of using linxu if you can't play games???
>>
>>56261979
I have a PS4 and a PSVita for games. Linux is for coding.
>>
File: Selection_043.png (23KB, 178x153px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_043.png
23KB, 178x153px
>>56261979
>can't play games
>>
Will using Windows 10 only as a limited user be as secure as using Ubuntu? (or as secure as possible)

If not, what vulnerabilities does it have that Ubuntu does not have?

It's for my mom. She is technically tech-blind.

I use Ubuntu.
>>
>>56262003
>steam
cuck spotted
>>
>>56262003
this
>>
>>56261964
Thanks, that worked!
>>
>>56262044
I know.
>>
>>56262036
literally how else do you play PC games without steam?
>>
>>56262057
I guess he's an origin fag
>>
>>56262057
Shit bait, go read more.
>>
>>56261953
1. Mount your computer's / to /Directory/What/Ever
chroot /Directory/What/Ever [Command_To_Open_A_New_Shell(no brackets)] 

3. In the new shell, / is now your computer's /, not your phone's. Same with all programs you run inside the shell.
>>
File: 1443475769860.png (436KB, 800x967px) Image search: [Google]
1443475769860.png
436KB, 800x967px
>>56262057
GOG?
>>
Is there a way to make a server allow connections to non-ssh services only to users authenticated by ssh?
>>
Anybody know where I can find some Debian drivers for a TPLink PA2010 powerline adapter? Some quick searching last night didn't find anything.
>>
>>56262317
why would you need drivers for a powerline adapter?
>>
>>56262329
I'm on a nigger-rigged setup with some emachines piece of shit with bunsenlabs and an ethernet connection and an external 4:3 monitor since the connector between the laptop screen and the motherboard doesn't work. I'm currently getting 10 down/20 up according to speedtest when i was getting 35-40 down on my old windows 7 machine (i got the cheapest powerline they had at fry's at the time). It's either the driver or the fact that it's a piece of shit emachines and i'd want to see if it's either a driver issue or just the fact that i'm stuck with this speed for the time being.
>>
File: 1465652814359.jpg (35KB, 696x423px) Image search: [Google]
1465652814359.jpg
35KB, 696x423px
I literally can't decide whether to use MATE, XFCE or Cinnamon.

They all seem just fine.
Any hints on why it would make more sense to choose one over the other?

Leaning towards Cinnamon right now, simply because I haven't used it in a while.
>>
manjaro here
how the fuck can i solve this?
:: mate-desktop and mate-desktop-gtk3 are in conflict
>>
>>56262581
There can be only one, let them duel with swords or something
>>
>>56254232
kek
>>
>>56262477
I'm pretty sure powerline adapters are transparent to computers
>>
Sup /g/

A friend at the university asked me to install Ubuntu on her Dell Laptop. So I did. Thing is, her main OS is Win8 and it got really, I mean REALLY fucking slow after the dual boot installation.

Has anyone had this experience?

Thx.
>>
>>56262637
how do i force them to do it in cli?
>>
>>56262709
Don't use Ubuntu. I may not work as espected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI
>>
>>56262515
They all are fine.
I'd go with Cinnamon. It has a more modern menu than Xfce and Mate, a very clean look, and it doesn't use Gnome's ridiculous app launcher that fills the entire screen with huge icons.
>>
>>56262730

(((RANDOM%2)==0)) && sudo pacman -Rs --noconfirm mate-desktop || sudo pacman -Rs --noconfirm mate-desktop-gtk3 
>>
>>56262709
Did you literally fill up all the space that was left on the hdd with your Ubuntu partition?
>>
>>56262827
well that did nothing except gave me more crying about dependencies
>>
>>56261825

>for Arch
There are no fonts for ARch. Fonts work on all distributions.
>>
Any benefit to using a different wm under xfce? Mostly annoyed by window placement in xfwm.

Thinking of trying openbox. Is it as easy as xfwm --replace to revert the wm to default?
>>
>>56263006
Don't copy code you don't understand. Especially not from 4chan.
It's the equivalent of downloading THISWILLFIXYOURISSUE.EXE

That script randomly removes one of 2 packages with all dependencies.
>>
>>56262301
You need a way to authenticate the nonssh connection.
>>
>>56263006
Your average arch user right here.
>>
>>56263107
well i took a guess from the double -Rs but since its the 3rd time in a day installing this shit system idgaf
>>56263156
cmon leetuserxxxdante69xxxHD, show me how the pros do it
>>
>>56263156
They're used to copying commands off the internet.
>>
>>56263240
>since its the 3rd time in a day installing this shit system

Have you considered using Antergos or Architect instead?
>>
>>56263281
nah, this looks nice and is lightweight enough for this bullshit tier e1-1200 cpu laptop
>>
>>56263301
Just install Debian netinst, even a monkey could do it.
>>
File: Selection_046.png (613KB, 1101x650px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_046.png
613KB, 1101x650px
does anyone know how xrandr lays out monitors?
I'm trying to figure out what kind of image to make to get wallpapers for my monitors to fit properly

s1=1680x1050
s2=1920x1080
s3=1600x1200
s1
s2 s2 s2
s3 s3 s3
>>
>>56263382
i just wanted something new and manjaro mate looked full on muh aesthetics, also i had the chance to try out a new distro
so far the experience:
pacman is utter shit
aptitude masterrace
>>
>go to install tails
>you need 2 usb sticks
>trash
>>
>>56263395
Use arandr it can generate xrandr scripts.
>>
>>56263571
just use the live medium...?
>>
>>56263581
There is none
>>
some of the text in my terminal is dark blue as fuck and i can read it for shit, what gives? i haven¨t messed with the colors this is by default
>>
>>56263596
just download the disk image, use dd to put it onto your drive and boot it. works fine for me
>>
>>56262864
Nope.
>>
>>56263603
>i haven¨t messed with the colors
Welcome to the terrible standard blue
>>
>>56263799
there is no way that is intended
like when i open a file in vim then commented sections #like this are so dark blue i literallly have to squint my eyes and look closer to make out what it says
>>
>>56263824
It is. That's standard blue. Unreadable on dark backgrounds
>>
>>56263301
Are you literally retarded?
Architect and Antergos both install a 100% compatible Arch system.
>>
>>56263844
>Unreadable on dark backgrounds
do people who develop linux even use it? or else how the fuck don't they know the default terminal background is black
>>
>>56263452
As an Arch and Debian user, this is utterly wrong.
Pacman and Apt are equally good, with very different goals.
>>
>>56263877
Lots of distros ship with white terminals by default.
It's hard to find a palette that works for both.
>>
I have an old laptop that runs crap on Crunchbang. Is there anything that will work quicker, or is it time to throw in the towel on the computer?
>>
>>56263909
>tfw racist distros
>>
>>56263882
the commands in pacman is fucking bullshit
when i first saw these -Syyu and -Rnsencdeqsuac n' shit commands my eyes jumped out
>>
>>56258480
wow. now THAT... is a dank meme
>>
>>56263981
>4 switches is too hard
>>
>>56263981
>>56263981
Yeah.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get install foobar --no-install-recommends
is so much better.
>>
>>56263877
What Standard Terminal are you referring to? People who use Linux probably use their Terminal Emulator of choice anyway.
>>
>>56264028
su
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
apt-get install foobar --no-install-recommend

?
>>
>>56252729
>How come my car has four wheels if an object at rest makes contact at exactly 3 points?

>Dunno mah doud, try taking one off while you're driving and see what happens.
>>
>>56264098
I still prefer
sudo pacman -Syu foobar
>>
>>56264135
that is rather nice
>>
>>56264135
Technically you dont need y or u if you're just installing someting
pacman -S foobar
would be sufficent if you have any database created
>>
File: desktop.jpg (159KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
desktop.jpg
159KB, 1440x900px
How do I make that panel settings button go away? It's totally useless when I can just right click the panel.

Also, excuse the mess, I'm just trying various widgets out.
>>
>>56257715
^d
>>
>>56264274
yes, but -Syu is the equivalent to >>56264098
>>
>>56260170
Space. A computer is meant to be usable.
>>
>>56264287
Not the one who asked, but you just learned me stuff.
>>
>>56264285
I think locking the panel will make that go away
>>
>>56264338
>be in geography computer lab
>prof explains how to save file
>works for no one
>turns out the GIS software can't handle spaces in directory paths
>shared drive for the class has a space in the path

spaces in filenames are bad practice.
>>
>>56261991
>console
>for games

m8r
>>
>>56264368
Oh thank you man! It worked.
>>
-> >>56264395
>>
>>56256625
>ancient packages
>comfy
Install Gentoo if you want comfy familam.
>>
>>56264617
When was the last time you used it.
Shit has changed since even 2 years ago. The stuff that sucks if it gets old is backported to stable.
>>
>>56264028
it's really better because -S in pacman is a subcommand(like install in apt) but it's written as an option
>>
>>56264344
^z is fun, too.
>>
>>56264369
>some retard writes shit software
>therefore we must all conform to shit software

I guess every file MUST have an extension, too?
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.