[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What coding language should I learn as my introductory one? Right

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: py.png (80KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
py.png
80KB, 1000x1000px
What coding language should I learn as my introductory one? Right now I'm looking at doing c++, but CodeAcademy doesn't offer it. If you guys know any websites that teach you for free let me know.
>INB4 hurr durr just google learn c++ online free
I mean, you guys know the best avenues for learning this stuff, and I'd rather not get stuck on a shit website that only lets you use it for 60 minutes a day.
>>
stop with the codeacademy meme. dont straight up start with C++, unless you have a purpose.

for general/learning, learn python. it's like writing in psuedocode and once you know what its like to write shit, work on some projects then spend time on C++, since C++ has actual concepts you have to learn to be efficient with it and will be much easier to breeze over the basics.
>>
>>56250925
You can use Codecademy and start learning Python as your first language.
Use it to learn about the syntax of the language, nothing more.

Use the Python docs for anything else and make some small projects first, make something that will be useful to you or someone else.

After that, you can learn more about the aspects of programming with C++, you'll learn about data types, low level programming, OOP and memory management.

>TL;DR
Make something first with an easy programming language.
Feel confident yet? Proceed with C++.
>>
>>56250925
Oh, I forgot to add: I learned html several years ago and I've had interest ever since.
>>56250955
Since when is CodeAcademy a meme? I thought you guys loved it since you could learn it online free.
And I do have reasoning, I'm a senior in High School and i'm looking at several different degrees at the moment, and 2-3 of them involve coding. I do know computer science is a meme, and it's better to just learn yourself, but something like computer engineering takes both physical and digital aspects. I don't know if you're required to take classes on certain languages, but I just want to get prepared so the classes aren't as hard going in. And I do actually like to code but I just never got into it until recently.
>>
>>56251064
See >>56251067
>>
>>56251099
See >>56251064
>>
>>56251115
Ok, I just wanted to make sure with that new information your opinion didn't change. Thanks!
>>
>>56250925
https://www.amazon.com/Programming-Principles-Practice-Using-C/dp/0321543726

Easy to pirate too.
>>
>>56251178
In case you wanna learn Python first, make sure you use Python 3 instead.
Codecademy will teach you Python 2 but it's not much different, the syntax is the same.

Python 3 have better support for unicode strings, better multithread support and a lot of methods and libraries fixed.
>>
>>56250925
C or C++ would be the best to start with. Just look for a video tutorial or read one of the many textbooks on the subject.
>>
>>56250925
>coding language
>>56251067
>I'm a senior in High School
>I do know computer science is a meme

Oh well. It's good you're interested in learning programming before going to college, because programming is not for everyone and a lot of people start hating it, especially harder stuff like C++. So you should find out if you like "coding" before enrolling into college
>>
>>56251337
I mean there is a LOT of threads on here just titled "who else fell for the computer science meme?" and every time I google something about computer science it's common to see a link saying something about "learn it yourself and don't have the student loan debt."
And the school I go to has this thing where instead of electives, you take classes preparing you for a major in college. I'm in engineering, but we have a computer science branch and now that I'm starting to take interest in computer engineering i'm second guessing myself on which one I should have chosen.
>>
>>56251327
My problem is that I learn much better online compared to a textbook with, for lack of a better term, I get my hand held when learning. When it shows you what you did wrong in a function or which line is throwing off the whole thing. Maybe I just need to get a tutor or something.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.