[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember when PCs had turbo buttons? Why don't modern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: turbo.jpg (39KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
turbo.jpg
39KB, 960x720px
Remember when PCs had turbo buttons?
Why don't modern PCs have them?
>>
Programs don't run in bare metal anymore.
>>
>>56247380
Because they serve no purpose unless you're on a 486 and trying to run 8086 software.
>>
File: oldfag.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
oldfag.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
Because it add 5 cents to the manufacturing costs and manufacturers are getting jewier every year. Now we have to turn turbo on through software.
>>
>>56247405
uh
macbook is made from metal
>>
>>56247453
Kek
>>
>>56247380
Because we have Intel Turbo Boost now.
>>
File: minerals.jpg (59KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
minerals.jpg
59KB, 500x492px
>>56247453
Silicon is a metal?
>>
>>56247380
Remember when cars had spark advances?
Why don't modern cars have them?
>>
Im assuming op thinks turbo buttons "turbo" the cpu . In which case I understand why he/she/xim/her/xit would want one .
>>
>>56247380
the kind of dogshit/ancient software you actually used that button for was already nearly a decade old by the time they became commonplace
>>
don't modern CPUs "turbo" automagically?
>>
We no longer need to underclock the CPU to make programs run properly.
>>
>>56247380
If you're trying to slow down a modern computer, you just have to install Windows on it.
>>
>>56248388
Turbo button didn't increase speed of CPU, it actually did opposite.

It was for backward compatibility with old software that was written for static clock that computers of the time outperformed by fold of 10.
>>
>>56248423
So the modern equivalent would be the "battery saving" mode in laptops which throttles the CPU to half frequency.
>>
>>56248423
DosBox actually has this functionality to hammer your CPU to slow down those old games.
>>
>>56247380
Because it would slow down to the speed of earlier Intel processors and your current OS would crash.
>>
>>56247500
It's a metalloid.
>>
>>56248423
>>56248878
My life has been a lie
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2q02Bxtqds
>>
>>56247380
If you remembered why we had them, you should know why we no longer do you fucking retard.
>>
>>56248832
DosBox does the exact opposite of "hammering", decreasing the number of emulated cycles to slow down the game causes the host CPU to work less.

You're probably thinking of older stuff like Mo'Slo.
>>
So wait, why is it called turbo then
>>
>>56249153
Because having a button labeled "SLOW" would've been too funny.
>>
File: turbo-boost.jpg (47KB, 755x575px) Image search: [Google]
turbo-boost.jpg
47KB, 755x575px
>>56247380
my car still has one
>>
File: happymerjew.jpg (74KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
happymerjew.jpg
74KB, 501x585px
>>56247380
>tfw now you have to buy new hardware for your computer to go faster since there is no longer a button for that
>>
>>56250345
>not knowing what the turbo button is for
How's middle school?
>>
File: tht.png (952KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tht.png
952KB, 1920x1080px
the pregayor still has one
>>
>>56247380
They could. I don't see why it couldn't be a boutique thing for prebuilts to have one-touch overclocking. I think it's just that performance is "good enough" now that no one wants to go to the trouble of the overengineered route anymore.
>inb4 turbo buttons actually underclocked
>>
Normies couldn't use them.
>>
I made a sleeper in a case with a turbo button and when I press it it overclocks the CPU from 4GHz to 6GHz
>>
>>56248423
/thread

Basically Devs weren't used to clockspeed changes.
C64 never changed
Apple 2 went through god knows how many iterations and mostly stayed the same clock speed.

Then you had shit like Intel, and all of a sudden PCs became faster more often

So while real work normally wasn't affected
Vidya was, cause devs banked on you using this software with a 286 (Maybe they accounted for shittier)

[As for the apple2 example, both the 2c and 2GS had a similar feature - except they weren't retards and called their modes shit Fast (maybe Normal) or Slow]
>>
>>56250724
f*cking normies xd
>>
File: bait.webm (184KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
bait.webm
184KB, 960x540px
>>56247453
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.