[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so /g/ did your CS degree become useful after college? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

so /g/ did your CS degree become useful after college?

What job do you have now? Do you like it?
>>
>>56246276
>tfw give up CS after 6 month because too much math
>>
>>56246435
fuck, i hope this doesn't happen to me.

i already took calc one and stats when i was a bio major now i have to take calc 2 and i think thats it.

or do you mean math in actual cs courses?

i hate math but i think my real breaking point will be physics.
>>
>>56246520
It was pure math. But I've never been good in math, so it's just me. You'll probably be fine.

It's been 5 years now, I've learnt a few things (like programming) myself but now I'm considering trying to get a CS degree again. Should I? The math part scares me.
>>
>>56246666
Do it. You'll still learn stuff from it.
>>
>>56246666
yeah man you should go for it, ive only took the basic intro CS courses so far and i like it. a lot of it can be easily self taught plus with youtube tutorials and such makes CS courses a bit easier imo.

as for the math just get a tutor thats what i did for calc 1 and i still got a C i suck at math as well but you can skimp by with outside help for sure.
>>
>highschool educated senior dev
>tfw coworkers with cs degrees two pay grades below me
>>
>>56246787
>senior dev
i want to get a bs in CS then go to grad school for software development

is this a good path?

any tips?
>>
>>56246787
how many years of exp do you need to be considered senior?
>>
>>56246276
CS is mostly math. There are two types of CS students... the CS rockstar and 80-90% of the common CS students who flounder their way to a degree by handing in half-finished and non-functional hw assignments and getting tests curved to the point of meaninglessness.

To be a rockstar you need to know and be good with math. My community college required Calc III whereas my university only required calc II but I am glad I took the former as well. Vector calculus is a big part of a lot of problems, and even though convergence and divergence is covered in calc 2, every bit of experience you get with integrals helps to nail down the principals of infinite series, and that knowledge is fundamental to understanding asymptotic runtime. Anyone who tells you otherwise does not *really* understand asymptotic run time and will only claim to.

Furthermore, if someone tells you big O notation or algorithm analysis is useless, they are clearly a fucking idiot. While you will be able to write small programs that serve a singular purpose (feasibly), you will never be able to really develop applications professionally on your own. You will always be the bitch of someone higher in the food chain who is able to piece together the big ideas and make *smart* business decisions. Good big O analysis can limit bandwidth, which limits costs, which maximizes profits. Any firm which does not have respect for big O analysis will cave within 10 years...

>>56246787
Im calling bullshit. What sort of company do you work for? How did you get the job?
>>
>>56246276

Didn't get a degree, just got a job and now I make 6 figures.
>>
>>56247078
$012000
>>
I've got an interview tomorrow as a java dev
>>
>>56247092

Stay mad.
>>
>>56247120
To be perfectly honest, I'm actually jealous, yeah.
Where do you work and how did you get there?
>>
>>56247120

Local software company in metro atlanta. Not public. I just shotgunned out resumes a few years back and one guy called me back. I started, worked my ass off, and as it turned out I was way better than I thought. Two years on and I was running the joint, dev wise. It's a web application for insurance companies.
>>
I got a degree in computer networks and security. Got my first job as a sysadmin right out of uni (as a result of the work I did as a placement student in my 3rd year). Now I work in Devops/automation for £33k (3 years out of uni). I'd say it was worth it.
>>
File: 1440395745063.jpg (26KB, 598x465px) Image search: [Google]
1440395745063.jpg
26KB, 598x465px
>>56247225
How much programming knowledge did you have before starting mate? Im thinking about applying for a similar job but I forgot all things I learned at uni.
>>
>>56246276
Bachelors required to get a job where I am. Making ~90k in Detroit Michigan developing firmware. Love my job. Working for small companies is really enjoyable.

What I learned that has been useful on a day to day.
1. General functional programming.
2. Assembly/Low Levels
3. Cyclomatic complexity

The only thing really missing from my curriculum was version control. Getting a degree is a good idea because it makes you hirable by assholes who think degrees are a requirement because they "had to get one". I myself will hire someone without a degree. Though if you are wanting to go into something more server side or some true real time firmware applications a degree becomes more relevant.
>>
>>56247381
Do you think having a few projects people actually use on the internet (may they be freeware or not) is a game changer for those without degrees?
>>
>>56246276

I am a Junior Sysadmin now for a Fortune 500.

Being well rounded has become very useful, you don't need to be the best programmer in the world to make good money in the Sysadmin world. Just writing simple bash scripts has already set me ahead of a lot of the senior techs here that can barely navigate any Linux system to begin with.

I would say I like it, the only thing that sucks is since I am a Junior tech they love to give me Friday and Saturday night on-call shifts.
>>
>>56248109
Its a game changer for people WITH degrees. I am not getting hired anywhere because I dont have a "portfolio" as it were.
>>
>>56248303
So basically, to get hired, you need a portfolio, and if you have a degree, well, good for you?
>>
will a 2 year as degree help?.
>>
>>56248303
>>56248333
How to even start a portfolio is beyond me.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.