[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, I need help and you're the brightest people I know.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: ue.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
ue.png
1MB, 1600x900px
Guys, I need help and you're the brightest people I know.
How the hell do I switch careers from web development to gaming development? Bear in mind I'm not some hipster with fake glasses: I have a formal CS degree, did well with algorithms and can remember a semblance of C++.
I'm willing to get back on track by learning C++, (re)learning linear algebra and whatever, and basically try to become a competent person in that field, but I'm afraid that after ~3 years of .NET web codemonkery nobody will take my CV seriously.
I don't even care if I'll have to start from "Junior" again, I just want to know how to make people give me a chance and take me seriously.
>>
Please help me ;_;
>>
>>56245515
>you're the brightest people I know
Most people on /g/ are posers that don't know shit

Learn gamedev, start making games :). Put some C++ and c# programing stuff on your github and apply for thee jobs.
>>
>>56245515
So you want to go from a shit environment to an even shittier one?

Why do you hate yourself so much?
>>
>>56245515
learn Unity/UE or OpenGL/Direct3D/Vulkan or BOTH.
stick to C++ and C#
linear algebra, discrete math, calculus, geometry is all u need
start making games at game jams (really not that hard), maybe u will make something good, if yes work on it later
>>
>>56246638
>
oh, and a bit of probabilistic (markov chains, monte carlo)
>>
Look into using the unreal engine first and maybe unity second, lots of small teams are hiring developers for those. Make some demo projects, prove you don't just know how to program but know how to program in a games context, and if you dont, then I'd say get some hard practice in before switching fields. Besides that, if youreore interested in design over development, maybe just work on making some mods, or even pen and paper games. Unless you want to join a AAA team with hundreds of people on it, your degree is a plus but not really enough to get you in through the door.

Unity has great tutorials on its site, and while Unreal has good documentation that can address specific concerns as they come up, I had better luck buying a couple courses on udemy to actually learn the software. Unreal also means you won't have as many headaches dealing with artists or map designers, imo.
>>
>>56245515
> wanting to go into game development
I want /v/ to leave
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.