[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?i d=12338365 NODEFAGS ON

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 1469816964492.jpg (36KB, 364x720px) Image search: [Google]
1469816964492.jpg
36KB, 364x720px
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12338365

NODEFAGS ON FULL DAMAGE CONTROL
>>
>mfw there are so any backend frameworks no one should give a fuck
Why do people use node? Pick literally any java or c# framework and you'll get something that connects only slightly slower but that databases faster.

And the real men will make their own through low level apis anyway.
>>
File: indie.png (154KB, 238x260px) Image search: [Google]
indie.png
154KB, 238x260px
>>56239307
>Why do people use node?

Because arrogant web hipsters suffer from a severe NIJS-syndrome (Not-Invented-In-Javascript) so at one point they proclaimed 'WE FULL STACK NOW' so instead of learning a proper language they'd rather spread their bullshit to the back-end as well while reinventing the wheel (badly) with grunt and gulp that require useless wrapper modules for every shell command while a robust tool with shell primitives like Make, that runs even on my grandpa's VAX with 4.2 BSD, gets ignored because the syntax is "hard to learn" because "it's not like Javascript"
>>
>having loyalty to a programming language

eww
>>
>>56239217

I never quite got why you would JS as backend.

That's like c for scripting or assembly for the web - just because you can doesn't mean you should..
>>
>>56239712

Now you know why it's called "MEAN" stack, huehuehue..
>>
File: 1423921142951.jpg (28KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1423921142951.jpg
28KB, 320x320px
>mfw I use node for prototyping industrial control systems as a mechanical engineer
Come at me professional fizzbuzz engineers :^)

I'll never understand the irrational hatred towards what's actually a much better scripting language than python.
>>
 Those of you who still find it enjoyable to learn the details of, say, a programming language - being able to happily recite off if NaN equals or does not equal null - you just don’t yet understand how utterly fucked the whole thing is. If you think it would be cute to align all of the equals signs in your code, if you spend time configuring your window manager or editor, if put unicode check marks in your test runner, if you add unnecessary hierarchies in your code directories, if you are doing anything beyond just solving the problem - you don’t understand how fucked the whole thing is. No one gives a fuck about the glib object model.

What a crusty autist
>>
>>56239307
>mfw
>doesn't post a picture or acknowledge there being no face
>>
>>56241490

Of course you can make it run in large-scale enterprise stuff.

Doesn't mean it's a good idea..

>I'll never understand the irrational hatred towards what's actually a much better scripting language than python.

Are you kidding me?

JS is the languge you can't even put into production without running some tools over it to find potentially dangerous code like "==" or "this", language constructs that are fucking basics in most other languages. Oh, you use ECMA 6? Cool, too bad you can't even run it in most browsers yet..

Anyway, let's get back to backend:
There is literally not a single function in JS, that isn't directly in Ruby or can't easily implemented. The most array methods even have the same name.
Plus you get a doublezillion differnt high quality webframeworks, even if you don't like Rails, there's so many cool frameworks.

Python is not quite as web-centic as ruby, but even in Python you have excellent frameworks like Flask, and Django.

>muh high end speed

Yes, JS is fast, but how many microseconds would you waste for secure and quality code?

Also if you can use JRuby to speed things up.
Or you can learn Erlang and Elixir.
Or Golang.

Literally.. anything but Node.
>>
>>56241694

use a linter to avoid ==
node has plenty of web frameworks as well
javascript is much faster than python/ruby
You can use ES6 anywhere with a simple build process
Use async await with promises instead of callback
there are more libraries for javascript then any other language, which doesnt support your theory that javascript takes longer to make something useful.
Use lambda functions and the 'this' keyword will work as you expect it to work.
If you need types use typescript.

That about cover it?
>>
>>56241694
Lol, careful not to spill your spaghetti

ES6 has been standard on node for several years now.

>ruby
And you give JS a hard time for being a "hipster language?" Not all of us are writing webshit here like you. The stuff I write controls huge industrial robots. You can prototype stuff extremely quickly in node, so I write it there before copying it over to C
>>
>>56241694
>Oh, you use ECMA 6? Cool, too bad it doesn't fix the most important issues.
FTFY
>>
>>56241772
This.

Also better documentation
Greater community
Better tooling
>>
>>56239217

This happens every year.
There are a lot of fanboys on the bandwagon, but Node is a good choice for writing website / webapplication servers.But it depends on what you're doing. Tbh, I'm happier using it over C# or Java for most things, though the maturity of Java particularly means that there's better tooling out there to deal with a wider class of problems.

But if you know a little about programming, and are writing a non-trivial webserver, you have to admit that writing a custom server in Node JS is somewhat more appealing than having to understand the limitations of Jetty/Tomcat or IIS. There are plenty of advantages to Node's low level approach to IO handling. The binary stream and Process handling APIs alone are actually pretty smart. You can combine those to do some pretty heavy concurrent stuff. And well... C# and Java fags are still crying about concurrency like it's a thing (well, it is, but stop being a bitch).
>>
>>56241431

For any hipsters reading this, seriously, the 'M' and 'A' in MEAN are extremely bad architectural choices. Mongo alone should be dropped for it's purported instability.

That's the problem with webdev over the past 5 years.... Someone creates some easy mode lock-in shit stack with a todo list tutorial, and a logo that looks good on a T-Shirt. Some fanboy then soaks up all the info, and gets put in charge of a project. A year later, you end up with a bloated, buggy application that's based on a technology found to have serious, intractable flaws, and contrary to the fucking tutorials, is extremely difficult to decouple.

Just use plain Javascript, JQuery and your brain. That's what the domain is calling for. Stop over engineering stuff. Spend the time on tests, and security.
>>
>>56241772

>use a linter to avoid ==

That's what meant with " without running some tools over it to find potentially dangerous code". Imagine buying a powerfull super car with a big red button at the steering wheel. If you push that button, the car explodes.

Of course it's still fast and everything, but would you say this is a well-designed car?

>node has plenty of web frameworks as well

You mean """""frameworks""""" like Angular (the modern PHP)? Yay..

>Use async await with promises instead of callback

See the "it's a fine car, jsut don't press this button" example earlier..

>Use lambda functions and the 'this' keyword will work as you expect it to work.

Use workaround to get basic functionality.. cool.

>>56241777

>And you give JS a hard time for being a "hipster language?"

This "hipster" mem is so outdated..
A langauge is well designed or not. JS has amazing parts but also terrible flaws.

>You can prototype stuff extremely quickly in node, so I write it there before copying it over to C

That's quite a differnt story.
For prototyping it's probably OK.

>>56241856

Also this.

>>56242088

That's the point, people are too lazy. Even when you use a framework.. Why learning something "complicated" like Ember when you can just take three hours and fuck around with Angular? Not that Ember is such an amazing piece of software, but it's way better than Angular.

There's not much vanilla JS with Bootstrap and JQuery out there anymore, but that's also because the industry thinks relying on frameworks is better than doing stuff yourself.
>>
Y'all niggers need some PHP.

Seriously though, why is no one mentioning PHP7? I stopped following the web-dev scene and can't understand the decline of PHP in online-communities.

(Sry for the stupid question)
>>
>>56243614

PHP a shit.

That's why.
>>
>>56243669
>Welcome to /g/

I should have known better
>>
>>56243669
Better than node.js
>>
>>56243614
>>56243729
>>56243752
PHP was designed as some guy's toy language. Nobody was ever supposed to actually use it.
>>
>>56243785
Go was developed by some fags from Google. Your point?
>>
>>56239217
NodeJS is essentially a wrapper on Google's Chrome JavaScript engine. That's a cute thing to have, especially as a tool to assist front-end development. Just because a bunch of faggots jumped on it and started using it for everything doesn't mean that the project itself is a bad thing.

Why would anybody give enough of a shit to complain? The problem is weak faggots in the software industry. Let them dig their own graves by writing back-end code in the shittiest possible language. If you see someone using NodeJS for stuff which should patently not be written in NodeJS, don't work for or with them. Simple as that. Now shut up.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.