[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good alternative to Office? I don't wanna

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

File: office.png (12KB, 1000x507px) Image search: [Google]
office.png
12KB, 1000x507px
What's a good alternative to Office? I don't wanna pay M$ 9.99 a month to make a word file here and there
>>
>>56233446
Google docs or free microsoft online
>>
>>56233477
*free Microsoft office online
>>
Office online edition = free
>>
>>56233446
Just pirate an older version?
>>
OpenOffice
>>
>>56233446
LibreOffice is the most advanced, and has a clean interface. It was forked on OpenOffice but it went way forward, give it a shot
>>
>>56233505
>unironically recommending Oracle products
>>
>>56233505
get out
>>
>>56233446
>Google Docs
>LibreOffice

>>56233505
OpenOffice is kill
>>
Use google docs and never return to anything else

>not already using google docs for group projects
>>
>>56233446
libre office
>>
>>56233534
Don't you mean Sun / Oracle / Apache?
>>
>>56233446
LibreOffice or Google docs
>>
>>56233549
>OpenOffice is kill

Wtf do you mean by this? I use it for business every single day.
>>
>>56233945

Kill yourself.....do it faggot
>>
>>56233494
this, but if you can't be online all the time, chinese botnet (wps) is quite good
>>
>>56233446
LibreOffice
>>
>>56233446
Buy a used laptop that has it installed like I did.

Or go to a school that let's you download it for free, like I also did.
>>
>>56233972
Why?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (58KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
58KB, 1280x720px
>>56233494
damn i did not know that
>>
>>56233477
>bait
>>56233505
I can't judge you too much.

I suggest LibreOffice instead.
>>
>>56233972
>Implying i'm not already ded.
>>
File: 1429326981838.png (399KB, 504x525px) Image search: [Google]
1429326981838.png
399KB, 504x525px
LibraOffice is the real deal and you can convert your work to .docx so that normies won't think you have a dangerous hacker linux machine.
>>
Do you even LaTeX bro?

But seriously, if you're willing to learn a couple macros, LaTeX is much lighter-weight and just as powerful as a standard office suite.
>>
>>56233446
10 bucks/month is office 365 right?
you can still get home/student for 99 or something
>>
It depends on what you plan to use it for. If school relatedx there are plenty of office cracks out there, youll need 2010 or greater. For anythinvg else I recommend Google docs.
>>
File: nice.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
nice.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>56234094
>dangerous hacker linux machine
>>
Word: Google Docs for collaborative/low fidelity documents; LaTeX for high fidelity documents (it's really not as bad as it looks from the outside, and copying over things like formulas, special symbols, even whole sections from one document to another become really easy compared to WYSIWYG editors)

if you need other stuff than word...
- excel: google spreadsheets for simple stuff, numpy/python/R for anything more complex. if you're doing anything serious (e.g. research) anything in excel won't be acceptable anyway (there was a huge scandal when it emerged that some economists did all their analysis in excel and they used the wrong formulas in some of their cells. that sort of shit is really embarrassing).

- outlook: i don't know man. i don't use an offline email client. maybe thunderbird? is that still a thing? i hated outlook when i used it at my internship last year. it was only good for scheduling because it signaled the other person's availability by digging into their calendar, which is only an option if you're all at the same organization (in that case Microsoft Research) and you all use calendars a lot (at MS/R, obviously that would be the case).

- powerpoint: this is trickier. LaTeX is okay, but good presentations seem exclusively to be made in Keynote and PowerPoint, and debating the reasons why isn't that productive. i still try to prefer latex because it's free and you can define a style in text that isn't subject to weird invisible shit that tends to plague typesetting in WYSIWYG editors (again, same issue as with word). I think with marginal work in beamer (namely, using a nice-looking theme) you can get a passable-looking presentation through latex. if you just need to throw something together, google slides or whatever it's called works fine too. whenever i've given presentations with google slides, it's been understood that the quality of the presentation isn't very high (that is, i was just asked to throw together a status update or something).
>>
Pirate office instead of using Office 365. Google docs is the next best alternative.
>>
>>56233446
LibreOffice by far.
>>
>>56233446
Old office. Install Office XP with the compatibility patch and it works just fine.
>>
>>56234197
>tfw blackberry could have been the third contender for nice, if basic, presentations that nicely export in self-contained HTML.
Blackberry Express beta, RIP.
>>
>>56233945
>OpenOffice.org (OOo), commonly known as OpenOffice, is a discontinued open-source office suite, while descendant projects are still being developed. It was an open-sourced version of the earlier StarOffice, which Sun Microsystems acquired in 1999, for internal use.
>...
>Before the final version of OpenOffice.org 3.4 could be released, Oracle cancelled its sponsorship of development and fired the remaining StarDivision development team.

In conclusion, most of the original developers and most of the Linux community jumped over to LibreOffice, while the original OpenOffice was hardly ever updated again.
>>
>>56235828
there are html presentation frameworks that mostly use js i think. reveal.js and impress.js come to mind. but i'm old [school], and don't trust web browsers for consistent layout stuff. makes a nice web-friendly presentation, but i get nervous just thinking about an important presentation relying on my web browser...
>>
>>56233505
Bait.

LibreOffice, otherwise G Apps or Office online
>>
>>56233494
> No option to add a table of contents
So I'm guessing it's a glorified Notepad version with extra botnet?
>>
File: out.png (827KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
out.png
827KB, 1600x1200px
>>56234197
>- powerpoint: this is trickier. LaTeX is okay, but good presentations seem exclusively to be made in Keynote and PowerPoint, and debating the reasons why isn't that productive.
LaTeX is pretty amazing for simple PDF presentations, especially when you need to add more than just bullet points and stock images.

I did an entire seminar paper and presentation in LaTeX back in university.
>>
>>56237127
yeah but i would argue that the styling (for example in the picture you provided) signals that you used latex in a bad way. it just reminds me of a 90s era website for some reason.

I really, really like https://github.com/matze/mtheme for a theme. i would screenshot something i made, but this generic example is fine too and i don't really want to "anonymize" a presentation i've given.
>>
>>56233446
Corel WordPerfect
>>
>>56233446

Buy an Office 365 prepaid card instead of paying monthly. The monthly sub is $9.99, but the prepaid card is redeemable for a year of service, and you can get them online for $60. That's half the price, and that's good enough for me.
>>
>>56237986
t. pajeet
>>
>>56237986
half the price of an outrageous amount is still some factor of outrageous.
>>
>>56237986
Or better, buy a $50 Chink Windows tablet. Comes with 1 year Office and you got a very portable VN fapstation.
>>
>>56238019

>Outrageous

You fucking idiot. The 1-year prepaid card gives you a legitimate (no cracks, no hosts file editing, no being scared of software updates) license to use the Office suite on FIVE DIFFERENT DEVICES, whereas buying the software outright only lets you use it on one. Plus, you get a terabyte of cloud storage for a year as well. Try to find a better deal on those things than that. You won't. You literally can't. You can't even find 1TB of cloud storage for that price anywhere else, let alone that *and* the world's most popular and ubiquitous productivity software.
>>
>>56238125
WOW FIVE DIFFERENT DEVICES?
i can use a buggy software suite that's a vector for malware on
FIVE
DIFFERENT
DEVICES?

WOWOWOWOWOW

why shouldn't i use google docs for drafting and latex for nicer typesetting stuff? why shouldn't i use R and/or python for data analysis and visualization?

is it for the 1TB of cloud storage that i can access from ALL FIVE DEVICES??? does that cloud storage come with meaningful diff'ing of files so i can see changes made between save states? or is that just if i turn on change tracking?

oh shit sorry i meant to say FIVE DIFFERENT DEVICES WOW!!!!
>>
>>56238153

>why shouldn't I use Google Docs/Latex/Python instead of Office

Jesus. Peak /g/.
>>
>>56238166
is there a reasonable answer to this? among people that don't care much about this stuff, i consistently see google drive encroaching on MS Office. among people that do care much about this stuff, that ground is getting ceded to code separated from data (that is, R scripts, python scripts, etc... and the raw data stored separately).

in all of these cases, diff'ing between versions is trivial, sharing without people trampling all over your changes is easy, and it's all free (as in beer; i'm not a freetard, but with latex/python i guess you can have that too).

if you use office in a work environment and you're not getting a license from your employer, then you should quit because that company is a fucking train wreck. otherwise, you have the option to use whatever doesn't require you to have a paid-up subscription. why not take advantage of that?
>>
>>56238166
FIVE
DIFFERENT
DEVICES?!
>>
>>56238166
FIVE
DIFFERENT
DEVICES?!
>>
Just use an enterprise copy and pirate it.

You can get a 'legit in all ways but one' copy of Windows and Office using only authentic Microsoft images, keys and a free software kms server emulator.

I mean, that's if you can't just man up and use something like LibreOffice or LaTeX.
>>
>>56233446
I use Libreoffice.
>>
File: logo-large.png (3KB, 284x115px) Image search: [Google]
logo-large.png
3KB, 284x115px
>>56237127
>I did an entire seminar paper and presentation in LaTeX back in university.
>>
>tfw dreamspark gives me free shit
:v)
>>
Try out kile.
It only does documents and presentations, but it is really good.
If you are used to finding things in a menu, it can do that and if you prefer to type it out, you can do that too.
It has a bit of a learning curve as you probably need to read a guide on the first document, but after that, it is really easy to use.
You get good, well structured documents and it let's you focus on the content rather than the layout.
>>
Face it freetards, there's no good replacement for Excel
>>
>>56233446
WPS Office
>>
>>56238902
>MS Office is botnet
>here use this chink one which is also not open source
>trust us
>>
>>56237253
I don't think the white background with blue titles is that bad.
But we all have different preferences.

The reason I prefer to use beamer for presentations is that I can directly reuse stuff from my paper, the things you can't do is what every public speaker would tell you not to do anyway (animations everywhere, wall of text, a thousand bullet points, 5 different graphs on a single slide, etc)
My slides consist of a single graphic and a title.
I memorize everything I want to say, because I reject the option of reading off the screen.
I think my talks are better because of this.
>>
File: 1371286288828.jpg (786KB, 1000x738px) Image search: [Google]
1371286288828.jpg
786KB, 1000x738px
>>56238925
What are the chinks going to do with your information exactly?
The company making WPS has been around since the 80s, they make the best freeware alternative to MS Office whether you like it or not.
>>
>>56238972
>What is MS going to do with your information exactly
>The company making MS Officehas been around since the 80s, they make the best office client whether you like it or not.
wew
>>
>>56238989
MS work closely with the NSA.
MS Office costs money, you either pay or you use some shady key activatior and become a part of some russian's botnet.
Totally the same thing my man, you sure showed me!
>>
>>56238868
Depends on what you use it for.
If personal use, then you can use anything you want.
LO, gnumeric, R or python are all fine replacements.
But if you share spreadsheets with excel users then use excel.
I always install excel through wine when this is the case.
The problem is the format is meant to be broken.
Have you ever worked with a guy who speaks a different language?
Excel translates all the functions to his language and it doesn't always translate back if you don't have the right language expansion.
And then you have different implementations of the same functionality, but they are not all included.
I don't blame LO for not being a drop in replacement.
>>
>>56238971
i'm not even sure that it's "bad" per se, it's just more that it evokes strong memories of boring theory lectures, the way the smell of chalk reminds me of elementary school or something.

what's crucial - at least to me - is that changing the theme in a beamer presentation is actually really simple. i realize the idea behind powerpoint templates is to give you the same degree of flexibility, but i've *never* heard of someone changing a powerpoint theme after the content has been made (except in one or two cases, and they invariably had to go through a lengthy process to fix all sorts of shit). swapping styles in latex is actually relatively easy, (almost and maybe indeed as easy as swapping latex document styles for regular papers).

the general stuff about avoiding reading off the screen, avoiding over-the-top animations, etc... isn't as much about latex vs powerpoint as it is about using your presentation medium as a crutch vs not. i've seen people give excellent talks with everything from keynotes to PDFs generated from latex to html pages with impress.js; the common factor is that they used their presentation to augment their talk, rather than dumping 100% of their thoughts into slide form. i think this is similar to what you're saying.

>>56238843
not him, obviously, but i think a seminar paper would probably make sense as a latex document. it sounds like it would involve lots of citations, some moving sections around, etc... and this is exactly what latex is great at.
>>
>>56238972
>The company making WPS has been around since the 80s, they make the best freeware alternative to MS Office whether you like it or not.
>They also created an independent mobile internet subsidiary known as Cheetah Mobile
The guys that make this office are the sameones that make the most cancer software for Android

Also you're daft if you think China's version of the NSA isn't interested in as much data s they can suck up
>>
>>56239038
I don't know exactly why so many people dislike blackboards.
Lectures that is based on blackboard is generally better than lectures which use presentations.
Maybe it is because the professors have more experience teaching, but I find it just as engaging if not more.

The medium is never the part that makes it boring for me. It is stuff like how they speak and what they choose to focus to speak about.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.