[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be web dev mostly javascript, 3.2 in college and 3 years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

File: margot robbie.jpg (662KB, 3072x2048px) Image search: [Google]
margot robbie.jpg
662KB, 3072x2048px
>be web dev mostly javascript, 3.2 in college and 3 years experience
>always told that programmers have it so easy in the job market
>apply to tons of jobs
>out of fifty of them, only one has responded
>rejections fucking everywhere, non stop
>haven't even gotten a single interview
>been 3+ weeks.

Do I just fucking suck or something?
What am I doing wrong?
>>
>javascript

You picked one of the most out-sourced programming languages there is.
>>
Not really, that's most job markets. Employers know that they're in a position of power and just abuse the fuck out of it, here in the UK i applied for loads of jobs which said "if we don't respond within 4 weeks, you have been rejected".

I would much rather be rejected than be left in limbo desu.

Something will come up, you just have to remain persistent. I luckily got a job after my 2nd interview, but i had applied for like almost 20 jobs and only had a total of 2 interviews. keep at it
>>
are you personalizing each application?

once you start actually GOING for the JOB YOU'RE APPLYING FOR you'll have more success
>>
>>56230967
every job description basically has the same exact thing

>know how to source control.
>experience with a ReSTFul API in Python/Node
>experience with a framework like React or Angular
>Postgres, Mongo, and maybe websockets I guess

Then a bunch of fluff bullshit about how they're "changing the world" and you'll be "part of a team"
>>
>>56230904
>be web dev
found your problem. webdevs are dime-a-dozen.
learn backend languages like java or c sharp. /g/ hates these but they offer the best ratio between effort to learn and employability.
>>
>3.2 in college

Tbh that's a pretty fucking low GPA unless you went to CMU/MIT or the like
>>
>>56230904
>tfw no degree
>apply to jobs
>got 1st one easily
>quit it
>got to final interview of 4 interviews each at 3 different companies
It's easy if you have C on your resume with some projects made in it. Every webdev thinks you're hardcore.

That being said, webdev is fun
>>
>>56231197
if that was low, that would just mean grades have been massively artificially inflated.
>>
>>56231016
>>
>>56230904
You left out an important piece of information my friend.

What school did you get your degree from?
>>
>>56231197
No, low is sub 3.2
>>
>>56231544
A pretty shit one.
should I go back and get a masters at a real school?
>>
>>56231586
I am not qualified to give you advice, the only thing doing that could hurt is tour bank account.
>>
What position are you applying for and where are you applying?

When I was applying for junior eng jobs last summer it was raining offers at the big companies in SF.
>>
>>56231586

School isn't relevant. I went to Penn State Online LOL and had a job before I even finished classes.

Do you have an internship? A portfolio? Learn something backend. Also, are you willing to move or are you only applying to jobs within your state?
>>
>>56231636
also sold my soul during university and started one of those insufferable tech blogs where I wrote shitty guides for bleeding edge javascript and rails development. also went to a few hackathons and made like "integrate your facebook with your phone and spotify to track how many dicks are in your mouth." Everyone loved that shit. Now I'm working at a company doing none of that shit and life is awesome.
>>
>>56231649
I have 3+ years of experience, 1 year being an internship at a relatively high profile company (around the level of microsoft), two being with a smaller startup.
Got a decent amount of portfolio stuff, have some programming tutorials on youtube
That's part of the reason I really don't get it... I'm putting desired salary at 65k and still getting rejections left and right, sometimes in less than a day.

I just signed a lease so I can't move and that's what really sucks :\ otherwise I would just head over to Seattle right now. I think MIT being here makes it fucking impossible to get a job unless you went to MIT.
>>
>>56230946
>Not really, that's most job markets. Employers know that they're in a position of power and just abuse the fuck out of it, here in the UK i applied for loads of jobs which said "if we don't respond within 4 weeks, you have been rejected".
Here in Norway they don't even say anything like that, you just get ignored. As soon as I've handed in an application I just assume I'm never going to hear from them again unless it's public sector, or I'd be putting myself up for nothing but disappointment.

Every job I've ever landed has been through connections, no matter how "weak", so to network like a faggot is probably the quickest way to employment.
>>
>>56230904
your job is to apply for every job that is listed. if your cv is not attractive to them, they wont call you anyway. spam them all. that's what I do. lol. I apply for 500+ jobs every month. I get a lot of calls. most of them end up not hiring anyone or they keep searching for like 7 months. dont be fooled.
>>
>>56231250
>>56231197
>the school you went to has hard policies against grade inflation
>decent grades compared to classmates, but still low compared to the average graduate from other schools
F U CK
>>
>>56231803
Damn you're fucked bro. I have to compete with people with papers that say Berkeley and Stanford.
You are applying to remote work as well, right?
>>
>>56231928
but do you actually have a job anon?
>>
>>56230904
>javascript

I have identified the problem
>>
>>56230904
> webdev
> mostly javascript
Found your problem right there.
There are people with this skillset like sand on the beach.

Should have learned something more unique, instead of choosing the easiest thing everyone goes for.
>>
>>56230904
>been 3+ weeks.
hahaha. get a load of this goy.
>>
>>56233606

Not OP but what would you consider unique?
>>
Off-topic, but I've mostly been doing work in C and C-like languages and have never really done anything on the web.
I want to start with just a simple CSS/HTML site and maybe have a demo made in a newer framework done the line.

I'm doing the stuff on HTMLDog (which seems to have taken a dump on its interface since I used it last), though I would appreciate any other references. In fact, are there any good textbooks on web development?
>>
>>56233894
HTML/CSS:
>https://www.codecademy.com/learn/web
Ruby on Rails:
>https://www.railstutorial.org/book
Javascript:
>Javascript & JQuery | Interactive Front End Web Development by Jon Duckett

Or just try PHP
>>
>>56234043
Is codecademy really that great for html/css?
I did their PHP course to prepare for a job that never happened and it just felt like a run through basic language features without any regard for teaching best practices or the why's/how's.
>>
>>56230904
Are you not customizing your resume to match the keywords listed in the job descriptions? Otherwise your application just gets sent to the trash bin.
>>
>>56234113
HTML is pretty basic shit. Codecademy runs through most of the stuff that's used. CSS on the other hand (imo) requires you to spend a lot of time looking around the web at design blogs and shit. You don't become a css god by knowing some syntax.

I've also done their PHP course, it wasn't in depth at all. If you wanna do PHP, you should probably buy a book.
>>
I'm on the other side of the spectrum OP. Don't know much about webdev javascript shit, I know Java/C/Microshit. Been sending resumes left and right and just get the same shitty computer generated rejection emails.

Does going to companies in person work better or sending emails to their IT Managers directly? Or would I get blacklisted for doing that?
>>
File: gex.png (337KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gex.png
337KB, 640x480px
You should learn how to do back-end web development, beyond the basics. Learn a language like Java or C#, learn SQL and the intricacies of the database, learn how to use an MQ (at the implementation level) and how to test all of those interactions.

I absolutely put off learning anything about databases during my undergrad. I picked the knowledge up on the job and I am reasonably fluent now. There's a reason that good DBA's are paid well. There's a ton of knowledge there, and being able to optimize a monstrous query is a skill.

I think by focusing on the front-end and JavaScript, you're really limiting your chances. I may be wrong about this but I think front-end work is probably the most common skillset, and that's why those jobs traditionally pay less. Also, that work is what the coding bootcamps target, so you probably have a job market flooded with people who don't have degrees, and they're willing to work for less.

I think the job market in general kind of sucks right now, except at the senior level. Granted it's better in CS than most fields, but it kind of sucks all around. The sign of a good job market isn't low unemployment, it's actual wage growth that beats inflation, and we haven't really had that.
>>
>>56230904
>be web dev mostly javascript, 3.2 in college and 3 years experience
>web dev
>mostly javascript
Nigger what stack did you use? If you didn't have some server side code experience in there then you're fucking useless for anything besides design and making cute myspace animations. At least learn angular if you're going to focus on JS.
>>
>>56233796
Not him but I would say something that is actually compiled and can be applied to situations outside of web dev.
>>
>>56231803
Could you post an anonymized resume? I could give you some tips.
>>
>>56230904
there are already plenty of people with 10+ years of experience fighting for the webdesign jobs. Sorry for your wasted time.
>>
>mfw 1 year out of cs degree,no job
>mfw retard that failed courses needing to retake them, was on probation multiple times, and also finished a 4 year degree in 5 years gets a job within a month after graduating
>his gpa must have been <2.75, even <2.5 maybe

Gee, employers sure are retarded. The only thing this guy has is a energetic attitude.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.