[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey! I'm starting college today for software engineering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: c plus plus my dude.png (35KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
c plus plus my dude.png
35KB, 512x512px
Hey! I'm starting college today for software engineering and was wondering if my C++ textbook from 2004 is still usable and relevant in 2016? It's a huge and detailed book, I just don't want to learn irrelevant information! Thanks!
>>
>>56215103
barely anything changed since 2008 to now so i doubt it famlam
>>
>>56215350
c++11?!?!?!?!?
>>
>>56215103
Doesn't your class have a book you're following?

In any case, it's still useful for learning the basics of C++.
>>
>>56215103
It's only useful if you want a history lesson in how terrible C++ was in 2004
>>
>>56215437
A modern version would just be a contemporary lesson in how terrible C++ is right now.
>>
>>56215429

We don't, at least not that they have mentioned so far. It's mostly our professor giving us "modules" to finish!
>>
>>56215103
there won't be much C++ if your software engineering curriculum isn't retarded
>>
>>56215480

what language is most common in software engineering fields nowadays then?
>>
>>56215103
Your course is probably outdated due to lazy professors so a book from 2004 is probably fine. But some C++11 features really makes your life easier like lambdas and auto type that you should check out some time when you hit templates. C++14 is basically bug fixes to C++11 and have some minor improvements on C++11.
>>
don't be so cheap OP.
If you haven't read the one you have by now, it won't help you.
Just follow the course and buy whatever they tell you to buy.
If you like to read, you will read both books, if you don't you will barely read the new books you are going to buy.
>>
>>56215494
I'd guess Java and C# depending on university. Perhaps even python. Some will teach C in some courses. Still C++ teaches some important lessons like
>why are you giving me 100 copies of the same object
>>
>>56215494
Last time I talked to a SE guy, all they did was C# and SQL.
>>
>>56215547
C#, SQL and sharepoint and you'll have a good start in life. Then learn some additional CMS .NET technology and get certified in it. The cash will keep rolling in because this is still a big thing. Everyone wants portals and intranet.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.