[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"It's fun to look at, it's fun to tinker with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

File: Capture.png (523KB, 844x478px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
523KB, 844x478px
"It's fun to look at, it's fun to tinker with, it's fun to play with... But when I need to get REAL world work done, serious applications, business related stuff... when I have to do these things I just get infuriated with my computer because Linux... I gotta fight with it and wrestle with it to get anything done. So that's why I'm using Windows more and more and that's why I'm so getting frustrated with Linux and the Linux community itself."

https://youtu.be/0chgyL7u4Qs?t=708

Is it true /g/?

Do most of you use your Linux computer for tinkering and casual web browsing?
>>
>>56207764
The other day I had to split up a PDF file because I only needed one page.
On Linux, there's a tool called PDF split and merge.
On Windows, I don't even know how to do that
>>
File: Capture.png (73KB, 877x452px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
73KB, 877x452px
>>
>>56207789
Without even looking it up I'm certain there's a Windows tool for that.
>>
>>56207764
He's that one retard who literally gave up Arch because architect went offline.

He is literally the dumbest "Linux youtuber" I have ever seen in my whole history of lurking
>>
>>56207764
it depends on your use cases

for a lot of normalfag work (e.g. video editing/rendering, Adobe suite stuff etc.) you're better off using Windows

for programming, system administration and other heavily technical activities, you can get a huge productivity boost by using linux
>>
>>56207791
He doesn't actually say what's wrong with Arch except that it isn't backed by a multi billion dollar company.
>>
>>56207764
>Do most of you use your Linux computer for tinkering and casual web browsing?
Nope, I actually am an accountant. Does my job just fine plus I can do projects when I get bored
>>
>>56207764
The reason I have to dual boot isn't because GNU/Linux is bad, but because Microsoft dominate the desktop.
I have to deal with their office standards, use their fonts. Lots of software is released only for Windows etc etc.
If Linux was at least as popular as OS X we wouldn't be having this problem.

>>56207791
What makes him think Microsoft or Apple are any better?
>>
>>56207812
He says he uses Arch and develops for it apparently >>56207791 which is a lot more than the average archfag on /g/.

Also arch development is apparently seriously shit and amateur hour and the system is a giant mess.

Of course the typical archfag on /g/ wouldn't know a thing about it because they actually believe they're "learning about the system" by fucking copying commands for generating the fstab from the wiki page.
>>
>>56207791
Does not being backed by a multi billion dollar company means it's shit?
>>
>>56207814
>system administration
>linux
Choose one
>>
>>56207835
Because he assumes companies wouldn't be paying shitloads of money to devs who'd just make their product shittier.
>>
>>56207851
i'm sorry kiddo, not everyone is running babby's first small-business windows home server set up

>inb4 bsd
have fun with that
>>
>>56207836
>He says he uses Arch and develops for it
Self proclaimed retard that patched a fucking """"bug"""".

What are you trying to say here?
>>
>>56207846
It means it can't compete.

Let's say Microsoft and /g/ compete to make an image editing software.

/g/ has its own NEETs and neckbeards to develop it in their free time

Microsoft has its fucking billions of dollars to hire professionals to do it.

What software do you think will end up being better?
>>
>>56207857
Explain to me which Linux based solutions do a better job of administering machines than System Center.
>>
>>56207871
It depends on what's your "better" standard? If by better you mean full of bloatware and no change log after an update than yeah, Microsoft will do a better job.
>>
> No hits on "matthew moore"
> No hits on "moore"
> No hits on "matthew"

Unless he uses another username (which I highly doubt after the whole "I develop for arch" high horse speech) he's nowhere to be found in arch forum.
>>
>>56207764

Two answers; no - because I use(d) it for my HTPC - and yes, because my field of work has a heavy reliance on Windows despite what >>56207826 says (I'm an accountant/tax agent in training)

Using Linux at work is dead in the water from step 1 because our tax software is Windows only and requires a deprecated Cisco VPN software to lodge anything. The software is directly tied in with that Cisco piece of shit so I can't just substitute with another VPN software unfortunately.

Secondly, I use a number of both bought and self-made Excel add-ons that would take forever to port over to LO Calc, and I would then have the issues with <100% file compatibility and so on.

Lastly, I rely pretty heavily on ABBYY FineReader (to OCR bank documents for the bookkeeping side of the business) and Adobe Acrobat Pro to author stuff I need to send out.

The tl;dr is
>Crappy software compatibility

At home, I have just switched my HTPC over to Windows 7 (from Kubuntu) so I can play games on it and I am starting to regret it. Things were much easier to set up in Linux, and the software for HTPCs is very Linux-centric.

If every piece of software in existence was completely cross-platform I'd be using Linux. Despite the "whole using the terminal is a meme" meme, it's much easier to plug in a few commands in the terminal and be done with it.
>>
>>56207930
No he fixed an AUR package bug. He's a self proclaimed ""dev"".

Even the newest of /g/ memers are better at Arch than him

see >>56207812
>>
>>56207893
none, because actual sysadmins use puppet and fabric to manage their servers rather than some proprietary MS Eldritch abomination
>>
>>56207851
>system administration
>anything but Linux
Yeah, because it's smart to send VM instances of Windows to dumbfuck workers who can fuck anything up with their lax Internet and e-mail security, via anything but Linux which at least won't have a blowback from Windows oriented stupidity.
Get the fuck out kiddo.
>>
>>56207944
>my field of work has a heavy reliance on Windows despite what >>56207826 (You) says (I'm an accountant/tax agent in training)
How do they even correlate?
>>
>>56207962
Sure. What about clients?
>>
>>56207991

The question is

His answer implied he actually used Linux for his accountancy work.

I find it hard to believe that an accountant could get by using Linux as their main OS.
>>
>>56208027
AMA
>>
>>56207871
You are an ignorant fool, most work on OSS is done by people from big tech companies.

>It means it can't compete.
Linux is the most widespread os in the world, for servers, phones, controllers, basically everything that is not "general purpose soccer mom needs to go on facebook".
Don't make your insecurity push you over writing random posts because you feel bad for not being able to install some shit like ubuntu.
>>
I don't do gayming and i am a Chemical Engineering major.
Why the fuck would i use Windows?
That piece of shit is slower than my distro,
the fucking UI is all over the place,
i spend less time customizing every single pixel of my distro than i do trying to find the fucking menus and settings in Windows that are segregated into a dozen locations, and even after you have customized Windows wasting 50 years in the process, you still end up with loads of broken shit.
What, do i need Foobar? All i need from a music player is a scrolling list with songs visually separated under each album's artwork, and i already have that. I don't need fucking Foobar.
Video player? I use MPV now and thank fuck for it, at least videos don't chug anymore above a certain size.
Calibre works perfectly for books.
LibreOffice works perfectly for what i need it.
Most importantly, i have a vastly lower chance of getting my computer fucked by some random Chink or Russian malware spreading cunt than i do with Windows.
>>
>>56208070

What are your top 5 most frequently used programs?

Do you have any issues with LO/MSO cross-compatibility?
>>
>>56208001
Depends on the level of access the client needs to have
>>
>>56208088
>Linux is the most widespread os in the world
Umm Linux is a kernel, sweetie xx
>>
>>56208111
Woah it looks like you totally understand what i meant but decided to throw some ironic shitpost! What a surprise!
>>
What I do on my computer easily gets done. I browse the internet, watch videos, and program. None of what I do is particularly tied to any industry application so I have no issues.
>>
>>56208142
Not him, but saying "Linux is the most wide-spread OS" is like throwing a whole bunch of OS's that have basically nothing to do with each other in a bag and saying "See? My bag is the biggest".

Ubuntu is not the same OS as some embedded stripped-down 5MB Linux robot driver, or a locked-down Chinkshit GPS.
>>
I tried playing around with linux by double booting a while ago. I can't do work with it because it distorts word/excel/pp documents. I can't play most of games. I can't watch movies because of screen tearing. All I was able to do was to browse internet. More advanced tasks or customization required googling console commands, which is completely unacceptable for modern desktop OS. Its not like I was using some autismOS, it was Mint for most part. The only use I found for it is to sit in my flash drive, in case something breaks windows, as it doesn't need to be installed to work. Auto updates were also nice, but otherwise everything sucked.
>>
>>56208109
I mostly work with LO calc, MS Access, Word and Minitab. It's a small business.

xls files are usually pretty good with libre office. The whole office uses libre office as well. For communicating with clients PDFs are used.
>>
>>56207764
Engineer here. All my work is done on Linux and its comfy as fuck.
>>
>>56207871
I don't understand you. Do you think that professionals don't visit /g/? Lurk more.
>>
GNU/Linux (Distros) are not for everyone.

Every OS has shortcomings, and serious ones at that. You pick what fits your *personal* needs and ideas.

I switched to using Linux because I like to tinker with things and political viewpoints.
I've never had the feeling I had to *fight* Linux though. Some parts might be a incoherent mess, but it wont actively try to keep you from modifying it to your liking.
>>
>>56207764
I have no need for it anymore.

No more games. No more proprietary software.

My school provides Office 365 Online so I'm covered and can do my work in the cloud. You dont need Microsoft OS to run Microsoft Word on a cloud.
>>
>>56207764
it annoys me when people like the dude in the video say "i dont count android and chromeos as linux" then go on to explain how "it just runs the linux kernel".

WELLLLLL THEN. it is fucking linux aint it? It isn't GNU/Linux sure but it IS linux.

Sigh.

No wonder the guy cant get things to work properly.
>>
>>56207764
>People who struggle with Linux
I post this in every OS thread: who the fuck actually STRUGGLES to utilize either Linux OR Windows? My entire experience with the OSs that fall under Linux or Windows has been encapsulated by the phrase "Works On My Machineā„¢"

Operating systems work on the same line of thought as programming languages: you use whichever one will best suit your current task/need:
>Set up a server, have complete control of the system, work on very old systems
Install a Linux distro
>Use office suite software, proprietary business software, play gaymes, media, set up jerryrigged network access that jus werkz via Homegroup
Install Windows
>Suck massive dick
Use OSX
>>
>>56208586
> who the fuck actually STRUGGLES to utilize either Linux

Hardware compatibility issues.
>>
File: 1450290669789.gif (430KB, 213x201px) Image search: [Google]
1450290669789.gif
430KB, 213x201px
>>56207764

There's a problem with Linux for general users. It's GUIs.

GUIs wreck shit up. They fuck up configuration files and their automations at least on smaller programs can sometimes destroy entire setups.... here's looking at you, Open Media Vault.

Unless you learn the terminal, eventually you're going to have a bad time. Something, somewhere is going to cause you to go into the system files at some point to do something. No idea when or how or why but it will happen.
>>
>>56207802
Source?
>>
>>56208494
what he means is chromeos and android work, stupid sperg neck yourself fucking nigger faggot
>>
>>56208655
>Linux doesn't work.
>The Linux systems that do work aren't True Linux Systems.
What a retarded argument.
>>
>>56208603
how coe GUIs work on OSX?
>>
>>56208197
If your work involves producing power point documents, there is your problem.
>>
>>56207791

What did he "develop"?
>>
>>56207789

Lol, I split pdfs all the time m8. There's even Google chrome extension to do it.
>>
>>56207871
> What software do you think will end up being better?
The one that considers the needs of its userbase and gets developed with passion as opposed to being a marketing tool.
>>
>>56207764
Tinkering, listening to music, browsing, watching a video, gaming, python, VPN server.
>>
>>56207791
This is like Gorbachev destroying the soviet economy because his tiny pig herding brain couldn't handle the complexity of it.
>>
File: muttmoor.jpg (17KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
muttmoor.jpg
17KB, 460x460px
>>56210001
https://github.com/mattmoore

Here's his github

http://mattmoore.org/resume

And resume

If anyone is wondering, he is NOT a developer, trusted user fellow, developer fellow, trusted user, or support staff.
>>
File: 1461561310388.jpg (566KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1461561310388.jpg
566KB, 2448x3264px
>>56207764
It really depends on what your dayjob is. For instance, if all or part of your dayjob is taking care of Windows servers or clients then it's probably a bad idea to run Linux. If you're a pure networking or storage guy then Linux should be okay. If you're a pure Linux server admin then it should be fine.

For home and entertainment use I've generally had an easier time with Windows than Linux, but it's become a lot better in recent years. In short, just use whatever gets the job done. Operating systems are not a fucking religion and they all have pros and cons.
>>
>>56210681
He's still better than 99% of /g/ combined.
>>
>>56210811
Matty please, stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>56210984
Suck my dick, dude.
>>
>>56210713
this
>>
>>56207802
>inb4 frequently download random executables from reallysafesoftware.xngoddad.ru
>>
>>56207764
Linux is great for the technologically oriented folks and no-one else. Period.
>>
>>56211078
Nobody even wants to look at that abomination you call dick, let alone suck it.
>>
I rely on a bunch of Microsoft software, excel and onenote in particular, those keep me away from desktop linux.

I host my web page on a linux instance though, I have a box set up at home to store and share files from that is linux too.

I don't find the desktop experience to be as productive. Its a shame too, linux has amazing customization and gives you so much control over everything, but for a daily driver desktop there is always some bullshit required dependency in my toolset that is windows exclusive.
>>
>>56212353

What do you use OneNote for? I always notice it on computer but nobody ever seems to use it or talk about it.
>>
desu I don't do much other than tinkering and web browsing to begin with, so that's not really operating system dependent. Linux is certainly much easier to piss around with, because of the huge amount of control you have over the OS (I'm a gentoo user, so especially with my system). Really the only reason I'm forced to use Windows is for software compatibility reasons, mostly Photoshop and whenever I get a drawing tablet.

Linux is often way better with certain plug-n-play types of things. For example, I have these Logitech G930s that usually work first-time on Linux, with no buggering around with settings, or at least minimal buggering around. In Windows, I remember it being a multi-day ordeal to get the bloody things working.

For a more recent example, I was trying to scan a drawing I did yesterday, and for whatever reason, my Windows installation is seeing the printer/scanner but can't actually do anything with it. It won't tell me why because there's no useful error messages. Linux always tells you what the hell is going on, Windows usually doesn't, which makes it impossible to troubleshoot.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.