[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>no photoshop >no good office suite >no AAA games >drivers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 26

>no photoshop
>no good office suite
>no AAA games
>drivers so bad sometimes you're forced to use windows drivers instead
>desktops require ricing to look nice
>forced to use command prompt for some basic functionality
>worse performance than windows and osx
>no support for any "serious" programs like Sony Vegas or Adobe dreamweaver, forcing users to use inferior "free" alternatives

What makes Linux so popular on /g/?
What can you do on Linux that you can't do on windows?
>>
This is a bad thread
>>
>>56200484
Because it's true?

I'm genuinely curious what you can do on Linux that you can't do on windows.

>inb4 ricing
Windows can be riced too.
>>
File: 1335127060718.jpg (45KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
1335127060718.jpg
45KB, 493x402px
>>56200457
well, you see anon, even though it sucks, it respects your freedoms :^)
>>
You can do nothing while looking like you are doing something
>>
Not everyone works with media anon.
>>
>>56200501
First, your'e not being genuine. Otherwise you would have worded your obvious bait thread differently.

Second, Linux users do not care what can or cannot be done exclusively in Linux.
>>
>>56200501
>I'm genuinely curious what you can do on Linux that you can't do on windows.

I can store CP and not go to jail, because my OS doesn't spy on me.
>>
File: 1412519710774.png (53KB, 239x246px) Image search: [Google]
1412519710774.png
53KB, 239x246px
>>56200502
>respects your freedoms
>>
>>56200501
Have access to a c compiler that isn't full of shit extendions
>>
>>56200557
He sounds pretty genuine, you sound like a shitposter.
>>
>>56200634
Hello OP
>>
>>56200654
PO olleH
>>
>>56200457
Who is she? I love the little bit of flab she's sporting.

Also, nice Dell XPS 1550.
>>
>>56200457
>no photoshop
GIMP can stuff too, it's just a different approach.
I did GIMP first, and tried photoshop some years ago. It was a horrifying experience.
>no good office suite
Libreoffice werks, alternatively use that 356 thingy
>no AAA games
No. There's no steam, no.
Wicd is outdated. Research your shit as you'd do on win when you encounter a problem. It's simple, again, just another aproach.
Not necessarily. Win does look boring by default too, like any DE. It's a tie.
You're not forced. There's probably a GUI for basic stuff 98% of the time. cmds are for advanced stuff, that's simply faster to type, than click ~30 times like a gaymer.
So.. Less mem consumption, less cpu workload in idle is considered worse performance now. Cool story, bro.
>no support for any "serious" programs like Sony Vegas or Adobe dreamweaver, forcing users to use inferior "free" alternatives
Again. Different approach != inferior.

>What makes Linux so popular on /g/?
Freedom of choice
>What can you do on Linux that you can't do on windows?
Anything you want your OS to do. You just have to tell it what you want. Meanwhile Windows tries to do everything it can and even wants to do it for you - even if you actually don't want it.

2/10 made me reply.
>>
>>56200457
>Adobe dreamweaver
fucking disgusting
>>
>>56200457
(10year full time linux user here)
>>no photoshop
i have no need for it
>>no good office suite
libreoffice, latex and google drive cover all my needs
>>no AAA games
there are no good aaa games released after 2009. there's steam now and some games, including AAA ones, are getting linux ports.
>>drivers so bad sometimes you're forced to use windows drivers instead
this isn't 2003
>>desktops require ricing to look nice
subjective, my desktop is nearly vanilla and i like it
>>forced to use command prompt for some basic functionality
i am certain that basic functionality is already fully covered by gui tools. all desktop environments have some sort of 'control panel' where you can configure everything.
>>worse performance than windows and osx
do you have any data to support that?
>>no support for any "serious" programs like Sony Vegas or Adobe dreamweaver, forcing users to use inferior "free" alternatives
i have no need for those. also, many respectable/popular "grown up" software is available on linux: eclipse, netbeans, jetbrain ides, vmware, blender, maya, lightworks, houdini, websphere, airplane systems
because /g/ is full of edgy teens wanting to look different.
i have no idea
>>
>>56200457
>>no photoshop
I don't edit images.
>>no good office suite
I use LaTeX when I need to, which is not very often.
>>no AAA games
I don't play games.
Everything works out of the box.
>>desktops require ricing to look nice
I don't care.
>>forced to use command prompt for some basic functionality
I use the shell to do almost everything.
>>worse performance than windows and osx
Worse performance for what? Games?
>>no support for any "serious" programs like Sony Vegas or Adobe dreamweaver, forcing users to use inferior "free" alternatives
I don't use any of those "serious" programs.
Have a reasonably sane programming environment.
>>
Be free
>>
>>56200457
Run an AWS instance. Yes, you can do it with Win, but it's slower/more expensive.

Besides that idk, not much lol.
>>
windows literally runs better when it's run on top of Linux
>>
>>56201142
That hasn't been my experience.
>>
>>56201142
i can't comment on that but I've noticed that many programs, including MSOffice, install and open faster when running under wine.
>>
>>56201173
If you have a decent compuer capable of running Windows in a VM at full speed then it will always be better then actually using windows.
>>
>n-no n-nno-o-o-ne n-needs it a-anyway, r-right guise?
freetards on sudoku watch
>>
>>56201197
I run Win as my host and have VMs for linux, as well as a few AWS instances for other things. I'm pretty happy with my current setup.

I HAVE tried linux as my primary OS a few times, but things just always took longer. It may have been because I'm not as familiar with nix as I could be.
>>
File: 4L_z4hqWvZp.jpg (86KB, 750x749px) Image search: [Google]
4L_z4hqWvZp.jpg
86KB, 750x749px
>basic 4600 hd from jewtel
>install driver
>black screen
>common issue on hd jewtel products
>have to script it to disable and enable the device on every startup
>"good driver wingdong"
get out
>>
>>56200855
>Again. Different approach != inferior.
no, it's fucking inferior, dude. It's your own problem you cucked yourself on amateur alternatives and are intimidated by professionally featured software.
>>
>>56201446
When i have the freedom to choose if i want to use alternative software A or B, how am I cucked?
>wintard logic
>>
>>56200855
Does gimp have smart fill when you crop out or delete sections of an image?
It's missing many features that make photoshop great.

>libre office
Fucks up .docx files sometimes

>there's steam
Call me when GTA or Battlefield get released on Linux.

>wicd
How about ndiswrapper?

>desktops
You're right about that one.

>forced to use command prompt
I had to use cli to fix a bunch of shit on mint 17.2, but Ubuntu 16.04 and solus have been great and cli free so far.

>Less mem consumption, less cpu workload
How about less driver performance.

>different approach != inferior
No it doesn't, but many Linux programs are honestly inferior.
>>
>>56200855
>Different approach != inferior
He's not gonna know what "!=" means.
>>
>>56201699
>Does gimp have smart fill when you crop out or delete sections of an image?
>It's missing many features that make photoshop great.
DESU, i didn't edit a picture for years now. I guess not.
All i know, i can get the shit dine in GIMP faster than learning how photoshop does it. So for me it's the other way around, because i know GIMP better, ps seems inferior to me. (Which it isn't)
>libre office
>Fucks up .docx files sometimes
true.
>there's steam
>Call me when GTA or Battlefield get released on Linux.
Don't bug me, i'm not rockstar north or whoever makes battlefield.
>How about ndiswrapper?
I had no real problems with native drivers for long now, the one time my lenovo laptop didn't manage to have working wifi ootb, i googled, found a github repo with updated drivers, cloned that repo, followed instructions and that's it.
>How about less driver performance.
Proprietary nvidia drivers are on par with windows'.
I get a few extra fps on valve titles like HL2 & portal etc.
>different approach != inferior
>No it doesn't, but many Linux programs are honestly inferior.
True.
>>
>>56201712
=/=
???
>>
>>56201912
Gimp works great, but it's nowhere near photoshop so I have no idea why they're compared so much.

Also that difficult ui excuse everyone uses is trash, I haven't had any issues using either photoshop or gimp.
>>
Bunch of linux fags are triggered and constantly spew their bullshit while ignoring every fact not suitable for their delusion, just like sjw feminists on tumblr

lonixs biggest enemy and detterring force from using it is ita autistic userbase
>>
I've seen some shit threads in my day but damn
>>
>>56200568
lincucks are all pedos confirmed
>>
>>56200501
It gives me modular liberty and can support my old hardware fetish
>>
>>56200988
The best of the best video editing shit is done on Linux & OS X and rendered on Linux. Nearly all of Hollywood
>>
>>56200457
Like you use Photoshop for anything more than making memes
>>
File: Photoshop on Linux again.png (114KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Photoshop on Linux again.png
114KB, 1366x768px
>>56200457
>no photoshop
>>
File: Rajeet.jpg (427KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Rajeet.jpg
427KB, 1280x720px
>>56202134
>he needs a compatibility layer to run an outdated version of photoshop
>>
>>56200457
The only accurate and negative thing here is no games.

But I'm not a teenaged autist so that doesn't matter.
>>
>>56202191
>lonix user
>not autists

Choose 1
>>
>>56200457
>no good office suite
Personally for my college work, Google docs has been my "office suite". I can use Google docs from the web browser of any operating system.

Most people outside of their job doesn't need any more functionality that's available in Google docs or office online.
>>
>>56202191
>O o only teens play games

Another made up bs by lonix users to make themself feel better for using an inferuor os

Poc related: linux
>>
>>56200457
I admit I clicked this to see the chick better. The thread itself is dumb though. Windows is not really great in anything, it's just that developers have adjusted their programs to it. It's not faster, easier, cheaper or prettier than its competition. It's not even safer. It's only big now because it's already big. It also spies on you and some people are not comfortable with being some sort of zoo animals that strangers stare at.

If you have to use Windows you do it, but only dumb people would actually cheer for that. Even my grandmother can use Linux Mint. She's not dumb though, there might be a bar set somewhere at least.
>>
>>56202320
nah
it's used by normiefag wingdong users who can't configure gpu passthru
now fuck off
>>
>>56202616
>claims games are for teens
>uses gpu passthrough
Are you a teen?
>>
>>56201226
I think (you)'re looking for one of these, have one
>>
Some want to build their own car from parts and know how each part fits.... and some want to drive a Honda Accord
>>
File: 111111111.jpg (13KB, 173x164px) Image search: [Google]
111111111.jpg
13KB, 173x164px
Literally nobody in this thread has been able to refute OP's statements.

/g/ BTFO
>>
>>56203226
Kek
>>
>>56203226
>>56200457

>no photoshop
GIMP and Krita... If (You) don't like it suck a fat dick, they do the same shit as Photoshop, I've used both and find GIMP better as well. Only thing Photoshop has over Gimp is native Layer-stylings, which you should just learn how to do yourself anyway...

>No good Office Suite
M$ 365 if you must, Libreoffice if you care about FOSS, LaTeX if you installed Gentoo.

>No AAA --
>>>/v/ right the fuck out sir. This is /g/ where we use Linux for the same fun that games provide the folks over at /v/

>Drivers so bad sometimes...
RedHat now Hiring programmers to improve BlueTooth/WiFi/etc drivers. Go work to improve the Linux drivers NEETs...

>Desktops _REQUIRE_ ricing
No, they don't. Default Gnome and KDE just werk. If you don't like the way they look that's (You)r problem. Fix it, or not, just don't bitch about it.

>Forced to use CLI
No? I can do just about everything I might need the CLI for with the GUI...

>Worse performance
Wat? Unless your hardware is absolute fucked it literally performs better... If Windows performed so much better than why are we using Linux/BSD systems to maintain everything from traffic lights to banks?

>No support for "proprietary" programs like Sony--
I'll stop you right there... That's not a Linux issue... That's an issue with those respective companies...

See, Photoshop, Vegas, DreamWeaver (ugh) could all be ported to Linux tomorrow... Why are they not? Because the user base is unfortunately not 'profitable'. It's a chicken and egg issue. There's no support because there's little users, and there's little users, because there's no support... Switch and the support will come...
>>
>>56203576
Gimp can't even compete with photoshop.
Also
http://designinstruct.com/opinion/photoshop-alternative-gimp/
>>
>>56200457
>what can you do on linux that you can't do on windows.

Asking that is refuting your above points. As this implies Linux can do everything Windows can.

Also there's a wide variety of fields that use Linux as the main OS rather than Windows... Everything from Milking fucking cows, to emulating the physics of a black hole... The counter point should honestly be brought up, what can Windows do that Linux absolutely cannot (if it were the dominant system)? The truth is as an end user, you'll probably not SEE what more Linux can do that Windows can, because there's nothing more TO DO that windows can't already do as well... At least when we speak in terms of an end user.

>>56203605
The article you Linked literally just states "Photoshop has more features than Gimp." Without even detailing which features Gimp Lacks... Nevermind that afterwards they state that Gimp gets 'awesome plugins' which... If you don't use gimp often I don't blame you... Can make it as powerful as Photoshop (HOLY SHIT!)
>>
>>56203677
Dude, just give up.
You know gimp can't compete with photoshop.
>>
Linux is for people who want to have more ind depth control of their machine. Windows is for people who want an easy to use OS that *mostly* just works.
>>
>>56203605
Since you're not paying a professional subscription fee for GIMP you shouldn't assume it's equally user friendly to one that is made for image manipulating professionals. I like to compare GIMP to MS Paint which can't compete against GIMP at all. I mean you do have to buy Windows in order to use MS Paint but it's kinda free of charge, at least close enough.

GIMP has so many features that you can create practically anything in your meme pictures. If you would be editing a 4K RAW file in a professional environment where your paycheck is related to your quality of work and you need to color calibrate your display daily you might want to use tools that are optimized for you. No one in /g/ is doing that anyway so GIMP is just fine.
>>
>>56200457
are you referring to ndiswrapper?
fuck me, how old is this pasta?
>>
>>56203843
Wouldn't gimp be more like paint.net?
>>
>>56203725
To give up would imply that I've been trying...

Look, I tried learning Photoshop and GIMP at the same time, and if we were having this discussion back when I was ( roughly 10 years ago ) I'd agree that GIMP has much to learn before it was ready to compete against Photoshop...

However that's not the case today. Sure it still has a few things it COULD touch up on, but by far and wide community plugins have generated the features that make GIMP just as good as Photoshop.

The only downside to GIMP is that it doesn't favor tablet artists much, which is why Krita exists...

>>56203843
You should check out FOSS photography sometime. It's actually not that terrible, and I know of a guy who literally does all his work using Linux tools. When it comes to cinematography though, linux does need to play catch-up. The irony is some big studios actually DO use Linux for things (look at The Hobbit movies that recently came about) just they use proprietary software which they keep in-house.
>>
>>56203731
OS X is the best of both worlds :^)
>>
>>56203911
>just they use proprietary software which they keep in-house.
there's a lot of that
companies making linux versions of things, but not releasing them for various reasons (packaging? multiple distro support? lack of apparent interest? etc)
>>
>>56203940
I'd say a combination of each one is possible.
Some devs don't know how to package for Linux (and apparently that can be a pain or easy PP depending on the distro), Multi distro support wouldn't be hard if you're using Debian as a base, but maybe they use something eccentric, or believe in distro-fragmentation. Lack of apparent interest is what I imagine it is 90% of the time. They believe they don't have a market for it. However I don't see a reason not to sell it anyway if you're going to continue developing it In-house. Perhaps they just ... never tried...
>>
>>56200457
Arch Linux is lightweight.

Use a GUI installer to get an actual working system, do not listen to the autists.
>>
>>56203911
>You should check out FOSS photography sometime.

just ducking in from the index but cheers for this, I've been wondering how to achieve non-shit photography work on linux for a while, to the point where I was considering writing something basic to fulfil what I get out of lightroom

>>56203940
>companies making linux versions of things, but not releasing them for various reasons (packaging? multiple distro support? lack of apparent interest? etc)

it could be that they're using gpl code but don't want to release their modification as gpl, so long as they're not distributing the software (i.e., so long as it's kept in house) they don't have to release the source under a gpl compatible licence

>>56204080
>Multi distro support wouldn't be hard if you're using Debian as a base

it's not too hard now so long as you're not doing something dumb, once you have debian and rhel covered you've got 99% of what people use and the remaining 1% of users can re-release compatible versions for whatever niche distro they use from the .deb/.rpm or .tar.gz files (which is what most people release now as is)
>>
>>56200457
LInux is fine for desktop use for the average person. However it's the server capabilities than makes Linux dominate in the enterprise.

I use OS X, I get photoshop and whatever mainstream software I'd ever need along with homebrew a fucking great package manager. OS X 4 lyphe
>>
os x is the only one with good font scaling and rendering. text on a retina macbook looks like a printed page.
>>
I couldn't do my job developing industrial control systems as a mechanical engineer if it weren't for GNU/Linux.

So enjoy your XBox OS.
>>
>>56200568
ooooh rekt
>>
>>56200634
>(you)
>>
>>56200501
A lot of basic functionality that's great for software development on Linux is a bitch and a half to do in
Windows. Can't really beat the package management.
>>
>>56200600
>c compiler is not intrinsic but you can still reach the same ends

Oh well that makes up for everything listed in OP.
>>
>>56201699
> gta/battlefield
Just play osu
>>
>>56205764
Not as much multi-player action
>>
Linux is not a spyware, it has proper package management and you don't have to ""activate"" your OS. If software availability is your only complaint, contain your malware vulnerable windows within a discrete VM.
>>
>>56200457
Sage
>>
>>56200557

>the truth is only true depending on how you word it

retard
>>
>>56206387
>implying Windows is spyware
>>
>>56206616
It isn't? Call me crazy but microsoft logs all the pirated activation you make
>>
File: 1464623740977.jpg (147KB, 471x500px) Image search: [Google]
1464623740977.jpg
147KB, 471x500px
>>56206626
Then don't pirate and it won't be logged?

You do realise pirating is against the law, don't you?

Also, people who can't afford good software also have small dicks.
>>
>>56200457
I have been using Linux quite a while, but since I have to write a lot professionally, I need and want to use worde because for me it feels like teh best and most intuitive option.

When I was a student, I used Linux a lot for writing, back when Libreoffice was still called Openoffice.

Imho there is no way of denying that Linux lacks a lot of compatibilities for programs, especially if you need to use a pc professionally.

Things like gimp and libre and linux distros etc are fine, because they are free as in free of charge. Honestly I dont care a rats ass about security. I have mangled by authorities quite a lot for reasons infinitely more real than whatever people feel like they need special linux protection for. I dont care about free as in "liberty".
"Liberty" in your computer will never give you liberty in real life. never forget that.
Fiddling around with obscure linux distros will never turn your life around.
>>
A working Docker implementation for one.
>>
>>56204311
Sounds cool. Can you elaborate?
>>
>>56206657
I don't think Windows isn't worth a single penny. Furthermore not many companies log your IP when you activate it illegally. Also being able to pay 200 isn't "rich"
>>
>>56202134
how's the pen input on the touch screen PC you're running Gentoo on working? :^)
>>
File: 12463612.jpg (30KB, 720x438px) Image search: [Google]
12463612.jpg
30KB, 720x438px
>>56206822
>He photoshops on a tablet
>>
File: 1456068631639.jpg (21KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
1456068631639.jpg
21KB, 250x241px
>>56206832
>he thinks only tablets have touch screens
>he browses /g/
epic keks were had
>>
File: 1467122446920.png (20KB, 586x550px) Image search: [Google]
1467122446920.png
20KB, 586x550px
>>56206849
>He browses /g/ in tablets
>>
File: 1456068709526.jpg (117KB, 782x835px) Image search: [Google]
1456068709526.jpg
117KB, 782x835px
>>56206862
>he browses /g/
>>
>>56200501
I primarily do programming on the go. For that use, Linux is a lot faster and easier to use than OSX and Windows, plus I actually get better battery life on Linux than Windows. GIMP seems to be a semi-viable alternative to Photoshop outside of professional stuff, Libreoffice is good enough for 99% of what anyone will ever do, and shit like Blender gives the paid equivalent a run for its money in terms of functionality. Only bad drivers are GPU ones, but those are improving.
>>
>linux also have a "good" nvidia optimus support
>>
File: 1470930284936.jpg (447KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1470930284936.jpg
447KB, 800x800px
>>56206870
>He posted this
>>
File: 1456944181504.jpg (162KB, 1462x1462px) Image search: [Google]
1456944181504.jpg
162KB, 1462x1462px
>>56206884
>posting the laughing lemon man
>>
File: 1449935013382.png (1MB, 2422x850px) Image search: [Google]
1449935013382.png
1MB, 2422x850px
>>56200457
>GAYMEZ
LMAO JUST GET A CONSOLE, SMELLY VIRGIN NEET HAHAHA
>>
>>56200457
>no photoshop
There are alternatives. And an average user doesn't need it or doesn't need the majority of it's functions.
>no good office suite
What? LibreOffice, OpenOffice.
>no AAA games
No bad games? That's a good thing. Gaming industry died years ago, you have to be underage not to know that.
And they're better implemented.
Unity looks pretty good
Not forced. But it doesn't make any difference either way, it's easier to copy-paste a command or use shortcuts than to navigate through check boxes.
Completely false. It's much more lightweight than Windows, especially now that Windows 10 connects to thousands of Microsoft servers every hour. I'm not going to comment on OSX since it's worse than both linux and windows.
Those are used by even less users than photoshop, and there are better alternatives which work on Linux.
Freedom, security, customisability, better system overall.
A lot of things. Funny thing is, when a windows system starts to malfunction the first thing some people do is boot linux and see what's wrong.

Nice bait thread.
>>
File: 1458382562740.jpg (78KB, 340x314px) Image search: [Google]
1458382562740.jpg
78KB, 340x314px
>>56206895
>He is posting
>>
>>56200457
>no photoshop
works in wine, dont need it unless youre an artist faggot
>no good office suite
same problem on all other platforms. there just is no good office suite.
>no AAA games
except those AAA games which are available right (do i even need to mention zen hvm + pcie passthrough?)
sounds like buyers remorse. bad hardware choices are your fault, shitty drivers for shitty chinese hardware are chinese peoples fault.
So youre a kindergartener or an artist I get it.
>forced to use shitty GUI to allow normal operation
lies
>hurr durr no serious programs like zen hyperv on windows/osx
hey buddy, you and your new media arts are not "serious" and no one is taking you serious.
>>
>>56200457
the fact that it doesn't need to be shilled.
>>
>>56206914
>internet
>>
If you used Photoshop before anything else like me, then it's pretty hard and tendinous to use gimp, paint.net or any wannable photoshop alternative. Just use wine if you want photoshop on linux.
>>
>>56206657
>don't be a pirate because it's against the law
>good software => big dicks
Fuck off of this board, commie.
>>
File: 1455622256183.png (812KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1455622256183.png
812KB, 600x600px
>>56206935
>he has a little dick
>>
File: young-man-eating-lemon-eh1mkd.jpg (40KB, 640x447px) Image search: [Google]
young-man-eating-lemon-eh1mkd.jpg
40KB, 640x447px
>>56206998
>he answers to people with little dicks
>>
>>56207012
Good point.
People with little dicks aren't people.
>>
BEHOLD IT IS I, PHOTOSHOP. YOUR LORD AND SAVIOR. I've come here to tell you to stop being such a cunt and posting these threads every couple hours. If not, I will find a "problem" with Adobe Application Manager and dick you around. This will be your only warning.
>>
>>56202121
Using what software?
>>
>>56207143
ffmpeg :^^^^^^^^^^^)
>>
>>56200501
>I'm genuinely curious what you can do on Linux that you can't do on windows.

That's a somewhat retarded question, since one COULD do anything with any OS, it's just a matter of effort.

Network monitoring/analysis, data restore/rescue, some pentesting/reverse engineering stuff and automation are things that are easiest to accomplish with GNU/Linux
>>
>>56207069
Sure it is, but not if you check my 6.
>>
>>56200457
>no photoshop
That's not linux fault, and the lastest versions runs flawlessly on wine.
>no good office suite
Google Docs works quite fine.
>no AAA games
Wrong
Yeah because installing 3gb of bloatware to make your shitty printer work in windows is any better.
Looks are subjective and Linux let's you change everything about how your system looks with simple configuration.
On Windows you are forced to download bloatware to make use of basic functionality
Wrong in basically every level
That's not Linux fault
>>
>>56202034
They're simply tools for different stuff. Photoshop is the only choice when you're in a job that mostly consists of heavy image editing.
GIMP on the other hand is the best prog for simple stuff like creating pics for websites or most 2D Textures for indie games and shit. It's basically MS paint on steroids. Also, Krita, MyPaint
>>
>>56207550
>I'm 15
MODS
>>
>>56200457
the only thing holding me back was i need to make docx for work and use endnote for research. but i found i can use libreoffice and save as docx and there are bibtex apps on linux
so fuck this windows botnet. im tired of needing to hack and crack everything to reduce telemetry and spying
>>
>>56200501
>windows can be riced

Rainmeter doesn't count, anon
>>
>>56207630
Cause?
>>
>>56200855
>GIMP can stuff too, it's just a different approach.
>I did GIMP first, and tried photoshop some years ago. It was a horrifying experience.
I have a really hard time taking people seriously who unironically argue that GIMP is an alternative to PS. At that point one might as well stop reading.
>>
>ancient vt infrastructure
>unstable driver API
>a fucking monolithic kernel
>development orientated only to cather the needs of servers and Red Hat
>balkanization of efforts
>80's graphic server who implement shitload of deprecated shit just to comply a specification
>making binaries is a pain in the ass
>backwards compatibility isn't guaranteed or existent, even at source level
>community full of autists and IT Pros without basic human skills like know how to express their emotions without sounding as assholes
And the most important:
>A PLATFORM IRRELEVANT IN THE DESKTOP SINCE 80'S
>>
File: 1422698739802.gif (2MB, 410x230px) Image search: [Google]
1422698739802.gif
2MB, 410x230px
>>56200855
>no steam
Oh wow so I can play shitty 2d platformers? Wow...
>>
>>56207632
it's no where near the same level
>>
>>56207736
And?
>>
>>56207692
>monolithic kernel
ELI5 pls

>>56207729
>Civ5 ( and Civ BE, also Civ6 when it comes out)
>GRID: Autosports
>Borderlands
>Most valve games
>XCOM
>Tomb Raider

These are just the ones I have in my steam library
>>
>>56207746
Windows can't be riced to the same level as Linux

With rainmeter all you can do is put shit on the desktop
>>
>>56207760
Add Saints Row 3/4/Gat out of Hell
>>
>>56207772
And?
>>
>>56207778
SR2 apparently
>>
>>56207794
Don't have that, so i wasn't sure.
>>
>>56205764
Where is no osu for Linux lol
>>
>>56207810
HA!
>>
>>56207760
GRID Autosports a shit.
The physics in that game are down right fucky.
Never had a car handle as bad IRL as they do in that game.
>>
This thread:
>muh gaems
>>
>>56207760
Also Skullgirls

I know linux users love their anime/waifus
>>
>>56207446
>using the smiley with the caret nose, double-caret mouth and eight caret chins.
>>
>>56208108
Wat
>>
>>56201699
>GTA
>Battlefield
is the miami heat snapback on a little too tight anon?
>>
>>56206818
So don't buy it. Stop shitposting.
>>
File: IMG_3487.jpg (85KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3487.jpg
85KB, 803x688px
>>56206874
>battery life on Linux
>>
>>56206900
>24 fps
>blurry graphics
>shit controllers
>games are more expensive than computer ones
>needs to pay a fee to play online and get discounts on games
kys
>>
>>56207760
>valve games
>>
>>56206657
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as piracy, is in fact, unauthorized copying, or as I've recently taken to calling it, unauthorized sharing. Piracy is not the act of obtaining an unauthorized copy of a copyrighted work, but rather robbery or criminal violence at sea.
Many computer users make unauthorized copies every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the act which is widely performed today is often called piracy, and many of the people who do it are not aware that it is basically copying, and not stealing.
There really is a piracy, and some people are doing it, but it is just robbery at sea. Piracy is an act of theft: an action at sea in which goods are forcefully transferred from one ship to another. Piracy is important to be aware of, but unrelated to unauthorized copying; it can only function at sea. Piracy is normally not used in combination with unauthorized copying: the two acts are basically seperate. All the so-called piracy is really unauthorized copying.
>>
File: 1451667433420.jpg (14KB, 300x189px) Image search: [Google]
1451667433420.jpg
14KB, 300x189px
>>56207692
>Make new hardware that cant comply to IBM PC and x86 ecosystems
>modify GCC to compile for new architecture
>modify the kernel drivers for interfacing with peripherals and architecute specific functions that mannage page tables and user/kernel mode swiching
>compile all of the code that you need
>have a working system by monday that is not standart x86 board and can play cat videos on youtube
Sure /g/ does not care about that shit since all they know about is /guts/ and /csg/ but just saying , you cant do that with windows code base.
t. not linux user
>>
Honestly? Being able to go sudo pip install Django and have it just werk first try rather than ten minutes of finding the right binary and making sure %PATH% is set up properly is worth it.
>>
>>56200457
Literal repost, remember the retarded but about Dreamweaver being pro software.
>>
>>56200457

Porn
Shitposting
Wordprocessing
Spreadsheets
Movies
Music
Research

I don't code, I don't make music, I don't Photoshop, I'm not a gaymuhr.
>>
Fact: 95% of all Windows users on /g/ are
* professional photographers
* professional musicians
* professional structural engineers
>>
>>56211133
As if none of that shit can't be done on Linux
>>
>>56211133
Anyone using Windows for audio production isn't a professional.
>>
>>56211237
>Anyone using Windows for audio production isn't a professional.
You're a professional if you earn a living with it, no matter how.
>>
>>56200457
I prefer programming on Linux. I do have a Windows partition for MS Office though, I don't think any other office suite compares and I hate using virtual box. Customize your computer so it's tailored to your needs and stop being a goddamn shill.
>>
>>56200457
What are virtual machines for $500 Alex?
>>
>>56207772
You can rice everything in windows faggot
>>
>>56200457
I've been using GNU/Linux since 2011. I am becoming more and more dissatisfied using GNU/Linux as time goes on.

Yesterday, I thought I would install Ubuntu 16.04 on a laptop what I only use to watch YouTube on my TV. First, minor annoyances: doesn't auto detect my tv. audio still coming from the laptop after I get display working. When everything appears to be functioning correctly, I notice that the font and video quality on my tv looks awful. Turns out Ubuntu doesn't support the proprietary amd drivers on 16.04. Okay. So, I will go down to 14.04 with Kubuntu this time. Same minor annoyances: doesn't autodetect my tv, sound comes from the laptop when I plug it in. Kubuntu has a weird "prefer this playback device" thing that I need to switch whenever I unplug my HDMI cable or I don't get any audio. Every reboot, I need to configure everything again because my settings aren't saved.

Change the window decorations in KDE, looks nice, reboot, suddenly I have no window controls in the corner of my windows. Turns out, installing deKorator was a mistake. k.

Linux is awesome, it's just all this GNU shit that sucks desu. Windows saves a lot of time, it just sucks that it's an NSA machine.
>>
>>56211221
It can be done on Linux, it just takes more time, so you'd be losing money. To get it to the same quality, you'd have to be a wizard. And you'd have to deal with random breakage. Linux is great, it just has bad software.
>>
>>56211243
Absolutely false. Using the wrong tools for the job just makes you a hack.
>>
>>56211636
professional, noun: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer>
>>
>>56200457
>command prompt
>adobe dreamweaver
/g/ falls for it easy, huh
>>
>>56211653
Doing audio work on Windows = amateur

Thus, by your own definition, not professional.
>>
>>56200457
Use a decent package manager.
>>
>>56207810
Get PlayOnLinux. It has an install script for Osu, and it somehow works better than it does on Windows for me.
>>
>>56201446
Since when is Lightworks amateur software?
>>
>>56208049
Still a AAA game nonetheless. That just shows a lot about modern games now.
>>
>>56211407
No you can't.
Rainmeter is basically zooper widget for android.
It's just a widget that will drain your battery, eat your ram, and kill your mother in your sleep if you don't reply to this post.
Thread posts: 163
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.