[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your thought on Solus, /g/? I wanna install a linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Capture.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 1280x720px
What's your thought on Solus, /g/?

I wanna install a linux distro to dual boot with Windows, and this one seems interesting.
>>
you'll be alone
>>
>>56183127
Sure, why not? What do you think, OP?
>>
>>56183127
I use it, I like it.

Runs great on my d2500 dual core piece of shit that I keep as a htpc so honestly no complaints.

First distro that let's me play 1080p videos with no stuttering.
>>
>>56183127
It's a good attempt, its just got some sorting to do. Updates can be some work to straighten out and they're frequent and major. Not a whole lot of packages in the repo's yet, either. It's easy enough to install though, give it a try.
>>
>>56183127
Wayland?
>>
>>56183242
Im downloading atm, just want to hear experiences and shit.

I'd usually not install such a young distro, especially considering this one is supposed to be made from scratch, but it looks nice and is supposed to be somewhat lightweight so...
Would you say its stable enough to be used as a daily use OS?
>>
>>56183127
>A FUCKING FLOWER
>A FLOWER

OP likes flowers...
>>
File: 1471124290011.jpg (76KB, 767x960px) Image search: [Google]
1471124290011.jpg
76KB, 767x960px
Last time i used it the repo's were poor as fuck.

Doubt anything has changed significantly.
>>
>>56183127
First distro I used in which midori wasn't a crashing mess.

5/7, would use again.
>>
>>56183290
>Would you say its stable enough to be used as a daily use OS?
It's stable in terms of functioning and everything, but when I used it, every update would change things like wallpapers/login screen back to default settings. There were some other settings that would change back too. Not a huge deal, and it may not even be an issue anymore.What drove me away was the lack of packages at the time. Keep in mind this was last year, right around this time.
>>
>>56183127
Really great so far:
lightweight
budgiewm is efficient with little-to-no distraction
free and non-free softwares in repos especially broacom-sta for wifi
spotify and steam can be installed with the package manager
gtk 3.20 for compatibility with themes
mpv is in the repo
almost every common dev tools are in the repo
kernel is up to date
rolling release
run well in virtualbox and qemu if you want to try first

cons:
too few maintainers, void linux is doing "great" with only a few maintainers but having more can't hurt
systemd (for some people atleast)
installer is not perfect. If you want to make your own partition scheme, you have to use a partition manager (include in the live-cd anyway) BEFORE launching the installer
no encryption option (on the todo list)
no lvm
"wiki is empty"
"not yet trusted and experienced forum members"
no open-vm-tools for vmware, not really a problem as you can compile the module yourself
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.