[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I resisted KDE for years because of the 'it's too bloated'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: KDE 5.png (238KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
KDE 5.png
238KB, 1920x1080px
I resisted KDE for years because of the 'it's too bloated' meme, but I finally tried it with a new Kubuntu install and my computer isn't a piece of shit. I am so impressed. This is the most complete desktop computing experience possible on GNU/Linux that I've experienced. It's responsive, not ugly (in regards to Plasma anyway), intuitive, just werks and most importantly it's perfectly useable for productive day to day computing.

It's perfect.

Why doesn't everyone use KDE now?
>>
It's still bloated compared to all other DEs except maybe Unity.
>>
plasma is nice, but man, that thing is bloated to shit
>>
>>56183055
but if your computer isn't total shit then that's a non-issue. I used to resist the entire DE because of the bloat but my computer is running this as fast as anything.
>>
KDE 5 is legitimately good. It's a shame that they'll throw out everything in a few years to make KDE 6 from scratch.
>>
>>56183009
>he doesn't even have a transparent distributor-icon
NOT going to make it.
>>
>>56183126
Why does it have to use more resources than necessary? That's just lazy programming.
>>
>>56183126
No, bloat makes me feel physically sick. Source on wallpaper?
>>
>>56183009
KDE master race
>>
KDE masterrace checking in. It's the only DE that could handle my laptops hdpi screen nicely.

KDE is best
>>
>>56184863
You could literally google the text to find it anon.
>>
>>56183009
It's unbearably ugly. Like literally every little detail looks so amateurish that I don't even know where to start.
>>
>>56185443
Yes, but in shit res.
>>
>>56185516
Just like any other DE.
>>
>>56183009
xfce is the superior DE. You're making a mistake
>>
>Install KDE Neon
>Turn off most of the visual effects
>Under 500mb RAM usage

Yeah, sure, bloated.
>>
>>56185744

500mb RAM usage for your DE and you think thats okay?
>>
>>56185837
500 MB RAM is okay, poorfag
>>
>>56185837
lol poorfag, 32 GB RAM is basically standard on /g/ now
@OP: I don't use KDE because I'm not a freetard/poorfag
>>
KDE is fine if you don't mind the interface looking like it was designed by fisher price.
>>
>>56185837
For the machine it's running on, yeah.
>>
>>56185837
He said under 500mb dumbass
>>
>>56185866
Fed up of dumb users upgrading their machines to stupid specs just because they can't be bother to actually think about what they're running and how they can easily improve performance.
>>
>>56183009
I like it, but it's still buggy.

Apparently there's a bug floating around with it not remembering the volume you set so every time a new sound is played it jacks it to 100 and blows out my ears.
>>
>>56183318
It's not more than necessary, it uses resources to make nice flashy effects and smooth navigation and productivity features.
>>
>>56185914
You should look at GNOME.
>>
>>56185932
>Think about what they are running
I know exactly what I am running. Take your half assed poorfag WM garbage back to 1990
>>
>>56183009
KDE and Kubuntu are popular, but you don't hear about it here since the arch/gentoo/etc neets, desktop thread autists, et al. have all day to spam the board and make their opinions seem the loudest.
>>
>>56183009
Yeah, KDE is underrated here. People call it bloated because they can't think of any real criticisms. It's the only DE that feels complete and puts functionality first. You can disable the file indexer, which arguably the only bloated part. While GNOME apps are becoming more and more basic and unsuitable for real work (like gedit,) KDE apps are powerful and often best-in-class (like Okular and Krita.) Also, the file picker has thumbnails.

>>56185970
This can be fixed by disabling the PulseAudio "feature" that allows application volume to be louder than the primary volume.
>>
File: 1470343687447.gif (3MB, 270x360px) Image search: [Google]
1470343687447.gif
3MB, 270x360px
>kde 5
>not aesthetic kde 4
>>
Thumbnails in file picker!
>>
>>56187447
Seriously?

Breeze >>> Oxygen

Oxygen looks really dated now.
>>
>>56185932
Ah yes, those droves of people who went i7 and 16GB RAM for KDE with some of the visual effects turned on. How could I forget.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.