[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi. So I'm new to all GNU/Linux stuff, just tried Debian

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: XD.png (117KB, 2000x1499px) Image search: [Google]
XD.png
117KB, 2000x1499px
Hi. So I'm new to all GNU/Linux stuff, just tried Debian for a while on my VM. Now I want to install Arch (inb4 go stick the doorknob up your arse gentoo fags) and I'm just curious if the installation by its wiki guide is enough, cuz I've seen many videos, infographics, and they had more stuff like desktop envs etc. What do you say?
>>
I suggest you start with Ubuntu for 1-2 months.

Then Debian for 2-3 months.

Then Arch for 4-6 months.

Then Gentoo without GUI for the ultimate road to autism.

But don't start with Arch if you're a newfag and want to learn rather than follow instructions and hope shit werks.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>56181187
it doesn't tell you all you need to install post reboot, or user account setup.
This is on purpose, otherwise it's fine.
>>
>>56181284
Couldn't agree more

>>56181187
DE is highly arbitrary so they did not include it into the install wiki.

Literally just
$sudo pacman -Syu cinnamon lightdm && sudo systemctl enable lightdm
>>
The Wiki installation guide isn't good if you don't know how to do a CLI installation. If you have used noob distros like Ubuntu, Fedora or Debian, chances are you don't know jack shit about CLI interfaces or basic commands.

I had Debian for a bit, was more like an alternative to Windows. Graphical installer and everything. I didn't learn anything. I wanted to see how to install Arch, so I went to youtube and watched a tutorial. Did it like 10 times in a month and I learned a lot. It doesn't hold your hand a lot so prepare to make mistakes and google shit. It's worth it, you will know much more than you think.

I never realised how powerful the terminal emulator was before I started messing with Arch. Now I know why people want it and why Linux (yes, Richard, it's Linux) uses it. When you realise how capable the terminal is you will start using CLI interfaces instead of graphical interfaces because they are simply faster, more efficient and they don't return with stupid error messages.

I also did not go with a DE, but installed a WM instead. Awesome is good because it can tile but you can float too if you want. Once you figure out all the shortcuts, you will be able to poweruse much faster. It's super customizable and customizing it will teach you a load.

It will break the first time and it will suck before you make your mistakes but after that you will love it and get why people speak highly of Arch. Only noobuntu fags who are used to their GUIs shit on Arch because they are afraid to use it.
>>
File: 6.png (150KB, 310x320px) Image search: [Google]
6.png
150KB, 310x320px
>>56181187
Install Windows 10, champ.
>>
HAHAHAA DUDE JUST INSTALL ARCH LOL NOT SOME BABBY DISTRO YOU'LL LEARN EVERYTHING ABOUT LINUX
>>
File: 1430412695264.png (181KB, 512x548px) Image search: [Google]
1430412695264.png
181KB, 512x548px
>>56181401
>After you waste a bunch of time reinstalling and fixing this meme distro you will learn why everyone who uses it has delusional rationalizations from their sunk time costs
>>
sudo go fuck yourselves, linux nerds
>>
>>56181401
>i learned bash commands by having to reinstall an operating system 10 times and fixing shit that broke often

Honestly, reading a book seems like a more time effective way of doing that anon.

t. Ubuntu user
>>
>>56181187
Arch is top tier, but not really what you'd call noob friendly.
>>
>>56181875
Fuck off back to /v/ manchild
>>
>>56181284

lol
>>
>>56182040
XD
>>
>>56181187
I have successfully installed arch. The wiki was pretty garbage, no matter how I spin it. Even when I was successful, I found I wanted all of the "essentials" that distros provide (for instance, a fresh arch install does not include a control panel equivalent, that's up to you). Manjaro makes me happy.
>>
>>56182040
>>56182051
Burn! xD
>>
>>56181284
ur retarded
u dont need to use ub and deb for 5 months b4 arch
like a week doe
>>
>>56181284
this has to be one of the most retarded comments i've ever seen.

Arch nor gentoo don't teach you anything, the only system that teaches you something besides settings locales and timezons is linux from scratch, OP don't waste your time.
>>
Why does the bottom white outline of the logo look like a fat bald guy?
>>
>>56184141
Because you have chronic autism
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.