[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Poorfag going to uni here. Are Sandy Bridge Era processors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Intel-Sandy-Bridge.jpg (25KB, 378x294px) Image search: [Google]
Intel-Sandy-Bridge.jpg
25KB, 378x294px
Poorfag going to uni here.

Are Sandy Bridge Era processors still useful? I can upgrade memory etc at a later stage.

Will be doing standard stuff like essay writing and some physics programming in mathematica.
>>
hahaha no

you need at least latest xeons and 2x them too with dual processor mobo, retard. that MIGHT be just and just enough for your stuff
>>
>>56174855
Yes, CPUs stopped getting faster since sandy bridge (just more energy efficient)
>>
File: 1470777195434.jpg (156KB, 640x656px) Image search: [Google]
1470777195434.jpg
156KB, 640x656px
Totally unusable. You need the power that comes from INTEL'S latest and FASTEST microprocessors. Intel's first 10-core processor for desktop PCs is the ultimate tool for delivering unrivaled performance and is our most powerful desktop processor ever. Whether you're gaming, exploring virtual reality, or creating fabulous content, the Intel® Core™ i7 processor Extreme Edition gives you the computing power you need to do it beautifully.
Because the only thing more amazing than Intel® technology is what you can do with it.
>>
>>56174855
Definitely (and maybe a bit trivially) yes. I'm still using an Ivy Bridge laptop, and I'm typing this on a Sandy Bridge desktop, even. Sandy Bridge was really the last great leap in IPC. Also there is little that most would need to be spending gobs of money in order to eek a minor bit of extra performance from the newer CPUs.
That reminds me, I need to get my old laptops on ebay at some point lol.
>>
>>56174855
>Will be doing standard stuff like essay writing and some physics programming in mathematica.

Word processing and Mathematica? You're totally fine. You could do that fine even on Atom chips. Fuck off and earn that degree and have a happy life, mate. Good luck!
>>
>>56174873
>>56174931
>>56175086
Thanks
>>
>>56174855
sandy bridge best bridge, didn't you know?
>>
>>56174855
I'm still using a core 2 duo notebook and core 2 desktop without any issues.
>>
>>56175086
What a swell lad :D
>>
I really envy those that have bought sandy bridge processors back in 2011.
>>
Isn't Phenom II still good for regular desktop tasks?
>>
>>56174855
If you already own (or can buy for cheap) a SB CPU, go for it. If you are buying new, get Skylake.

SB is still perfectly fine for everything. It will bottleneck stuff like the GTX 1080, but only slightly.
>>
i5 2500k is still faster than any amd cpu
>>
>>56176124
You can get them pretty cheap nowadays when retards are switching to Skylake.
>>
I have been using sandy bridge since it came out, it's fine.
>>
i7-2600k owner here

Bought brand new back in 2011 and still running strong.
>>
I have a i5-2500k that I got in early 2012, and it's working really good. The only thing that sucks is that at the time, I had no idea what MB I should get, so I got a cheap one that wont let me overclock the CPU.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.