[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /g/ think of BlackBerry? There's no discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: blackberry vector logo.png (4KB, 199x199px) Image search: [Google]
blackberry vector logo.png
4KB, 199x199px
What does /g/ think of BlackBerry? There's no discussion about it in the gentoo wiki.

While it's obviously an older OS because low market share doesn't lend itself to frequent updates, how does it stack up against the other mobile OS out there?
>>
They're pretty much the VHS tapes of phones now.
>>
>>56170547
Priv is so fucking gangsta, I wish it could be rooted.
>>
https://youtu.be/8n3ZzWKXaU4
The long and short of it.
>>
>>56170623
I'm talking about BlackBerry 10 rather than Priv. It's a decent phone but it also caved to the pressure to suck the cock of Google and help support their cuck software empire.

I've never heard of Blackberry playing Big Brother or throwing money at the latest social justice idiocy like Microsoft/Google/Apple.
>>
>OS 7
>productivity and security from a time before time. Higher end phones feel nice (Bold specifically) but it was out of date in 2008/2009.

>BB10
>"no apps" in the same sense as "Linux has no games". Can sideload android applications with sometimes greater success than actual android phones with comparable hardware
>has its flaws but is the best mobile platform out of current offerings, even as Google brings out Nougat
>phones still worth buying today even with dated hardware (passport lives in its own place here)

If they updated the browser to add an official adblocker (can run firefox or proxy host block) and fixed some memory leaks it would be unbeatable.

>>56170623
I wish I had delusions like you. It looks and feels nice and is near the top of the android experience, but android is trash.

Seriously, BB10 hypervisor when?
>>
>>56170732
Blackberry has always been talked about as the "secure" mobile OS. Is there any truth to that or does it leak like all the rest?
>>
I just switched over to an Android phone from a Z10 earlier this month. BB10 is pretty much on legacy support now. I received updates for anything on the phone (OS, BlackBerry apps, 3rd party) like once or twice a year. I still miss doing things in BB10 compared to Android though, especially the Hub.
>>
I like the logo
>>
>>56170781
More secure than competitors but of course it has holes. Check out what law enforcement can do to OS7 phones and look around to some of the research on the security of OS10 phones. AFAIK the largest security problem was the rooting of the PlayBook and the most serious but theoretical security problem in recent times has been how encryption keys are handled (i.e. stored on CPU at boot?)

On another note, much of the "blackberry hands over everything to the cops and government " is only possible I'd you're not hosting your own BES. If you control the infrastructure, you control the keys.
>>
>>56170796
>BB10 is pretty much on legacy support now.

Yeah, I've heard conflicting reports about the future of the OS - it being dead forever, or just on the shelf for a while, or just hanging quietly in the background, or that Blackberry Ltd. Is looking to cross is more closely with Android.
>>
>>56170911
As far as I understand, they can't do any more work to improve their android compatibility layer as as they are releasing android phones. This means that they might not be able to release any new BB10 phones anyway.

As long as Chen is CEO, don't hold your breath. He won't say anything that damages the stock but he likes to run his mouth similar to Trump. The company fired a lot of talent and he doesn't even know how to handle the current Android - focused business.

The playbook laboured in "maybe update" he'll for 2 years before they finally said that it wasn't giving bb10.
>>
>>56170987
I thought that the reason they released android phones had less to do with making blackberry OS compatible with Android releases and more to do with cutting development cost and making the phones more universally accessible.
>>
>>56170547
I had Q10, switched to Z5C. Sometimes i still think about selling my z5c and buying Q10 again.

Android has BlackBerry Hub and BlackBerry Calendar now, so it's a little bit more sufferable, but it's still not as well-thought interface as BBOS10.
>>
I'd get a blackberry but I feel like I'd regret it.
>>
>>56174119
You probably would. BBOS10 is really great, but it's also really dead. When i switched from bbos, blackberry decided to remove facebook support in system (it was well-supported before, communicator was integrated with Hub) and replace it with some crappy browser shortcut. I don't think system got any more alive recently.

Also, BBOS devices (or at least my Q10) are weak. While OS itself is perfectly fluid and runs really smoothly, anything that requires processing power struggles to work properly. Some things needs a while to load, some android apps work slow. It's not device with proper hardware, it just makes it up with flawless OS.

On the other hand, if you want to have hardware keyboard and don't feel like selling your car and both kidneys to obtain Priv, Q10 may be one of best options possible. Not to mention how good this keyboard is - i had a lot of qwerties in my life (droid 3, htc universal) but q10 beats them all.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.