[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here tried Ubuntu touch? Thinking of installing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: ubuntu-touch.jpg (166KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-touch.jpg
166KB, 1920x1080px
Has anyone here tried Ubuntu touch?

Thinking of installing it on my Nexus 5 now that I've upgraded. How stable is it?

Can I use hdmi out to use it like a pc?

How's performance compared to Android?
>>
Bump?
>>
I want it so bad.
>>
hmmm it should be able to run on RN3P right?

Wouln't mind running this babby on that joint.
>>
>>56169143
I have tried it and I liked what I saw. It's a lot faster than it was when it was first released, it looks nice, convergence is cool and the terminal is super handy. The real problem is the lack of apps. If you could run Android apps on it, it'd be fine, but you can't. The app store has the essentials, but not enough to use it as my daily mobile distro over Sailfish OS or Gentoo RAP.

As for HDMI, I believe the Nexus 5 supports SlimPort, so it should work.
>>
>>56169143
looks a lot better than when i first tried it. report back op
>>
>>56170010
Does it support regular Linux arm apps?
>>
>>56169143
stay with android, you'll prob break your phone, plus android runs on Linux 3.4 kernel, what else do you want?
>>
>>56170080
I honestly have no fucking clue. If you want to run ARM Linux apps on your phone, I would just install Gentoo RAP and throw on Shashlik while you're at it
>>
I really wish we would just get an offical U.S release, i really want tomove away from the android/google botnet
>>
>>56170134
I'm telling you dawg, install Gentoo.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Android
>>
>>56170099
Nah not going to go that far, just asking out of curiosity.

Would be neat if you could and if you use hdmi out it'll load up regular unity Ubuntu.
>>
File: screenshot20160514_002519033.png (662KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot20160514_002519033.png
662KB, 1920x1080px
Used it for awhile on my Nexus 4, it's interesting but not very complete as a mobile OS. It will run ARM Linux programs through the Xmir/libertine app, and it'll do its convergence trick via slimport (even better if you have Bluetooth keyboard/mouse).

The real issues come with using it as a phone. There's an SMS, Telegram and Hangouts app, with only the first two supporting notifications. The mail app doesn't notify you either, nor will any other app besides the phonecall, SMS and Telegram app. This is a limitation of the OS not being able to daemonize apps, so the only way to get notifications is via their push service, which means getting support from the 3rd parties.

Backgrounding apps causes them to crash eventually, so you need to restart them.

The apps that do work, work amazingly. The browser is sweet, with a good tab UI that automatically changes to a normal desktop shaped browser when you go hdmi.

pic related - convergence in action!
>>
>>56170219
Thank you.

Is installing it as simple as just flashing a rom?
>>
>>56170268
it actally is identical process
>>
>>56170268
Installing ubuntu touch with multirom is even easier, it's a full automated process nowadays.
>>
File: screenshot20151023_153555606.png (118KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot20151023_153555606.png
118KB, 540x960px
>>56169143
yes

not perfect, but "okay"

with a nexus probably since they use them for those tests.

Good and bad. The battery life is good (3 to 5 days), the UI is awesome, way better than android. The big problem is that it's a bit slow when you start an application, because it needs a lot of optimisation.
There is no apps.

>>56170080
you can see ubuntu touch running libre office and I was able to install and run pic related.
>>
>>56173103
>>56170219
what phone or tablet would you suggest for Ubuntu touch?
>>
>>56173620
Something super hackable like a nexus or a phone that already ships with it
>>
File: IMG_20160713_235143.jpg (141KB, 1280x721px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160713_235143.jpg
141KB, 1280x721px
>>56169143
Yes
A bit unstable
Yes
Better

Ask me anything
>>
>>56173103
>slow when you start an application
this sounds strange
aren't the app compiled?
>>
>>56173103
Does it have Japanese input method?
>>
>>56169143
>phone with Ubuntu enabling convergence
>USB C connector
>just plug it into station with GPU or perhaps even another processing unit and have full power of regular desktop
plz
>>
>>56170089
>what else do you want?

A non-shitty OS
>>
>>56175066
Can you send a notification using the notify-send command?

eg

notify-send "test"
>>
>>56173620
a phone that comes with it so you won't have to bother installing it. There's plenty of them now. Check bq and meizu. The meizu have nice spec for what I heard.

>>56175125
It takes like 5 seconds to start an app. But every 6 weeks they release a patch and you often see an improvement.

>>56176404
yes. You can modify the language of the phone and the keyboard. And switching from a layout to another is easy (it modify the dictionary too)

I really hope canonical won't fuck up, or at least that another distribution do something and deploy their own smartphone OS. It seems that KDE are working on a DE using wayland and not mir.

https://youtu.be/auuQA0Q8qpM

Linux on smartphone seems promising.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.