[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok guys, I recently had the desire to switch to Linux and made

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: 20160819_204621.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160819_204621.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Ok guys, I recently had the desire to switch to Linux and made the jump. I downloaded the most recent version of ArchLinux, followed the guide to a T, and still got this when I tried to reboot after install. What do
>>
>>56168050
>What do
try an easier distro first before diving into a neckbeard distro

shit man, i've been fucking with linux off and on since the late 90s and i still wont touch arch.
>>
>>56168050
install ubuntu fag
I don't use arch but you probably fucked with the /etc/fstab
>>
Maybe post a link to the guide you followed? Seems like /new_root doesn't exist and shouldn't, but something expects it to. Maybe /etc/fstab is wrong. You should be able to repair stuff from the initfs if you somewhat know what you're doing.
>>
Reinstall using Antergos and skip the unnecessary autistic install routine of vanilla Arch.
>>
>>56168050

if you want help to fix it, tell us what guide you followed and post the contents of "echo /proc/cmdline" and "echo /boot/grub.cfg" (or wherever grub is installed, look around in /boot)

if you want the advice of someone who uses linux on the desktop, use ubuntu/fedora or another "easy" distro until you can manage to install arch, because if you can't fix this on your own you'll have no chance
>>
Did you
genfstab /etc/fstab > /mnt/etc/fstab
Before arch-chroot /mnt
>>
Stick with Arch, No matter what. You will find out with flying colours, my friend
>>
>>56168231
*Come out ofc
>>
>>56168218
Yes, I did
>>56168147
Let me get the link
>>56168070
Honestly jumped into Linux and chose my distros blindly.
>>
>>56168050
just install xubuntu or ubuntu mate, or something straight forward like those

what you're doing is like a 6 year old kid trying to drive an f1 race car
>>
>>56168050
you made a mistake, Instead of going to ubuntu.com you went to archlinux.org
>>
>>56168191
Okay I did what you said, here's the result:

# echo /proc/cmdline
/proc/cmdline
# echo /boot/grub.cfg
/boot/grub.cfg

You probably meant cat instead of echo?
>>
Arch Linux Tutorial:
www youtube com/playlist?list=PLaDNrGxv2GQrIKQAG4vqyNT384EhAuDSi
Honestly want so badly to keep using Arch bc I've heard its incredibly versatile but I honestly just want to get to where my GUI looks the way I envision it.
>>
>>56168050
Rotate your phone when taking a picture.
>>
>>56168316
Fuck I didn't respond to the message I wanted to. But still, that's the tut I used and I honestly just want to not quit on this. I've already been through too much bullshit to concede and piss around on ubuntu
>>
File: 34-kim-dotcom2-gt(2).jpg (286KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
34-kim-dotcom2-gt(2).jpg
286KB, 2048x1536px
>>56168340
this is why "linux is hard"
People choose arch linux instead of Ubuntu. You'll end up quitting Gnu/Linux because you'll think all Distros are shit. Just save yourself the trouble and install ubuntu. Point and click. You'll probably want to remove your arch partion. and make sure not to touch your NTFS partitons.
>>
>>56168050
OK guys, NOW some useful stuff.

Using nano open /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, you will see there MODULES="" line. Add the following between quote marks:
crc32 libcrc32c crc32c_generic crc32c-intel crc32-pclmul

Then, run mkinitcpio -p linux

Reboot

Boom, your problem solved.
>>
>>56168359
I already fucked my partitions all to shit bc of the tutorial.
I'm not going to quit on Linux though. I've dealt with Windows 7 for too long and I'm ready to take the next step and get the feel for another os.
Also, is there any "easy" distro that isn't Ubuntu?
>>
>>56168398
Try Gentoo
>>
>>56168398
linux mint
>>
>>56168424
I've heard good things about Gentoo
>>
>>56168398
Linux mint
Debian
Nothing wrong with Ubuntu
>>
>>56168398
Debian is pretty easy, try debian testing if you want semi-recent packages
>>
File: 1430360099217.png (368KB, 509x538px) Image search: [Google]
1430360099217.png
368KB, 509x538px
>>56168398
Sure.
Fedora - Spawn of redhat. Quite stable, best implementation of GNOME desktop. A very easy to use DE. Keep in mind, this uses the dnf package manager, so pacman and apt-get are a no go. I reccomend this for beginners.

Debian Jessie
-VERY outdated pkgs. But also VERY stable.

Debian Testing
-Newer packages. Quite stable.

Debian Sid
JUST

OpenSuse
-Best implementation of Qt.
-Pretty stable.
-Will get you RARE points
>>
>>56168376
Should I get any errors? I got two while still in the install
>>
>>56168474
OpenSUSE was #2 on the blind pick, and since >>56168376 didn't work, I'll probably be picking it up tonight:/
>>
>>56168503
No, you shouldn't

Forgot to mention one thing. You can't do that inside your live machine.

Get your liveusb back, boot it, mount your partition like you did during install, then chroot in, then make changes that I said in that post. After that it'll work.
>>
>>56168070
Found the tard who doesn't belong in tech.

Don't listen to them OP, Gentoo was my first distribution and after a month of wrangling that tard I was ready for anything.

Boot back into your USB, chroot again and Google crc32 driver or whatever it said

Arch is a solid distribution and my favorite for personal machines after 5 years of admining ~20 personal loonigs machines
>>
>>56168542
Do I mount both my boot partition and my main partit in or just boot?
>>
>>56168316
If anyone wants to use arch as a real os instead of for geek cred Arch# is prettch much watch you want. You still get the setup options of arch but it works right out of the live cd.
>>
>>56168600
Both. But main first, then boot. After that run
arch-chroot /mnt bin/bash

and complete everything rest.
>>
>>56168542
Followed all that and still end up with the same error :/
>>
>>56168650
What error? Missing crc32 driver?
>>
>>56168674
The error I got in OP. Still running it all again in case I missed anything
>>
>>56168674
HOLY FUCKING SHIT IT WORKED MAN I LOVE YOU
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.