[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /g/ Been lurking for a few months and how do I into code?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20160807_000047.jpg (13KB, 404x306px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160807_000047.jpg
13KB, 404x306px
Hi /g/
Been lurking for a few months and how do I into code? It seems pretty interesting and I've been on codeacademy for the past few days learning http and it's fairly easy to get into. Is there a better way to learn?
>>
>>56152514
Easiest way? Learn python. Despite what you're going to hear here, it's a real language that people use to do real-world things. It's also very easy to learn.

Better way? Learn C/C++. There's a steeper learning curve, but it will force you to learn better practices that you can take with you wherever you go.
>>
>>56152605
Alright cool, now do you know anything about the site I'm using? It seems pretty straight forward and I think they have both languages on there so I think I should be okay no?
>>
I used CodeAcademy to learn a little Python, and it's good to learn some of the syntax, but a class on Udemy or a programming book will be so much more helpful to do real life projects.
>>
>>56152514

>56152605

this, also
i guess one of the important things you should answer is why do you want to learn that, i mean, what´s the immediate purpose, do you want to develop solutions for a specific field? in my case, i`m musician and i`m very interested on how to apply tech on music learning, that opens some doors and close others.
what do you want to do with code?
>>
>>56152656
I've not used codeacademy, so I can't speak to the quality of the material you will find there.

For C/C++ you're going to want to learn from an authoritative source. Call me old fashioned, but I like a well written book. Gaddis' Starting Out with C++: Early Objects is a good book geared toward an inexperienced audience that will lay a strong foundation for object oriented programming in general.

I've not done more than dabble in Python, so I can't really speak to good books on it. Learning Python and Programming Python are well reviewed on O'Reilly, though.
>>
>>56152718
I'm a musician too so the best way I could put it is the same way someone would like to learn music theory, to understand and apply it. If I end up sticking with it I would like to make it my focus in school
>>
>>56152756
Alright I'll look the book up, thanks
>>
think about what you want to do, then learn the tools for that

aside: good (free) python book is: learn python the hard way

python is a great language because it's used for a ton of shit (gui, scientific, web with django, etc)

once you feel comfortable with one langauge, picking of the next is much easier

good alternative to code academy is codeschool.com. same type of thing, but with videos instead of text
>>
Sounds like pretty solid advice so far, thanks guys.
>>
You will need to learn the following in this order:

1) A scripting language such as python or perl to help you with basic computing tasks.

2) An industry standard object orientated applications language such as C# or java so that you will be employable.

3) C/C++ for close to the bare metal programming. This is essential, you can't call yourself a programmer until you can do pointer arithmetic in your sleep.

4) Some kind of functional first language, such as comman lisp, f# or haskell.

And that's just language wise... you will also need to study things like data structures, algorithms and computational complexity if you want to write code that's actually worth anything. Don't be disheartened, it may seem like an impossible journey but as long as you keep trying new things and NEVER stop learning you will make it. I suggest you find a mentor to review your code and give you some tips (or just post your code in /dpt/ and they will roast it).
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.