[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i fell for the linux meme i did all you told me but this error

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: sw.jpg (11KB, 250x200px) Image search: [Google]
sw.jpg
11KB, 250x200px
i fell for the linux meme

i did all you told me

but this error keeps popping up

>Cannot install grub on /dev/sda: fatal error during installation

i googled the error, some told me my PC was in fast boot mode, nope
some told me shit about UEFI/BIOS, if mine is BIOS I should have no problem... and it's BIOS

im installing Elementary OS, my other OS is Win10

where else could I go? what do you do when you're stuck like this? i've been trying this shit for hours
>>
>>56139526
Step 1: don't go for dualbooting, format your hard drive completely
Step 2: don't pick Elementary OS as your first distro if you want to experience Linux. Go for something like Debian, although Mint is easier.
Step 3: git gud

Did you make a seperate /boot partition? If so, is it large enough? Also, you don't need to make one.
Make a / (root) partition that's about 20 GB
A /home partition that's the biggest part of your hard drive's space
Then a swap partition that's about twice as big as your PC's amount of RAM.

If you did this, and your BIOS startup settings are BIOS/Legacy you should have no problems

Install it on a USB thumbdrive first (you're gonna need USB 3.0/3.1 though) if you don't want to abandon Winblows completely
>>
>>56139608
Also, if you picked E OS because of the way it looks, you can install it's DE (desktop environment) and iconset on most distros, it requires a little more work though
>>
>>56139526
>Cannot install grub on /dev/sda: fatal error during installation
Is that really the full error? Usually grub prints more than just that

>what do you do when you're stuck like this?
Assuming google fails me, my second step is usually hitting IRC (either of the project I'm trying to install, or of the distro)
>>
Op I don't suppose you have another drive in your system you could put grub on? Would he the lazy man solution but honestly who gives a shit, the Linux police?

Before you update grub, try removing OS prober. I don't think that's your problem, but I've known grub to have issues when I first install it like that so I usually have to install OS prober afterwards.

I guess i don't know how far you can get.

Don't install Debian though. It can get complex.

Go with any Ubuntu flavor. I recommend Ubuntu mate or xubuntu.
>>
>>56139526
Just to piggyback...
My plan is to add a second drive to my laptop with linux installed on it since I have the drive spare. My plan is to disconnect my windows drive, install grub and linux on the second drive, then reconnect the first drive, then set boot order to boot off of the second drive first. Is this all possible and I'm not just fucking retarded?
>>
fuck you
>>
>>56139686
I had this problem. I just switched booting from UEFI to CSM.
>>
>>56139686
This, GRUB gives out more than that generic error. It's basically preventing you from writing on your bootloader partition. If you were using UEFI I'd blame Secure Boot. Are you sure it's BIOS?
>>
>>56140203
That is a better plan. It is easy to overwrite existing partitions if you are not sure what you are doing.
>>
>wasting your life with lincux

God, you must really be a virgin.
>>
>>56142712
nice one, pajeet!

here's a free bonus of 20 bing points
check your microsoft account and redeem it

keep up the good work
>>
>>56139526
syslinux
>>
--force
fix everything
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.