[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we finally put the "Linux is not a meme OS"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: loonix.jpg (101KB, 1221x663px) Image search: [Google]
loonix.jpg
101KB, 1221x663px
Can we finally put the "Linux is not a meme OS" meme to rest?
>>
>>56129814
2% of 7 billion is like 70 million users though.
>>
File: 1468678725322.jpg (67KB, 663x784px) Image search: [Google]
1468678725322.jpg
67KB, 663x784px
>>56129814
WHERE IS WINDOWS?
>>
>>56129829
Fucking everywhere. XP, Botnet 10, and 7 make almost ~80% of the marketshare alone.
>>
>>56129879
So windows is dying, r-r-rite? ;_;
>>
>>56129898
Dying of laughter at how shit loonix is, maybe.
>>
>>56129920
but windows can't AUR XD
>>
>>56129814
Thank Chrome OS, the only desktop linux distro that has a small chance of becoming popular.
>>
there is no doubt that linux users are a minority, but don't you think it actually has more of a 4 or 5% share?

doesn't linux not act as a botnet like windows and osx do? these are people who likely aren't letting themselves be tracked to that extent to begin with
>>
>>56129814
>Desktop
Okay but show us the mobile one where Linux is the most common, and also talk about how there are more mobile devices in use than desktop ones. That's right, Linux is more popular than Windows in consumer devices.
>b-but Android isn't really Linux
It's an OS using Linux as its kernel. So is GNU/Linux. Same kernel, both Linux.
>>
When Linux can be run by normies for more than a year without touching a command line once or having ANY wired complications they won't find in other OS...then it will no longer be a meme OS
>>
Can we have a chart with Windows on servers ?
Because on servers, Windows is a big fucking meme, even on Microsoft servers
>>
>>56129814
>market share
>meaning anything
kek
>>
What are the total numbers for using linux, desktop and server?
>>
>>56129990
there is still nothing better for standard business stuff and managing user policies
>>
>>56130009
Obviously the average consumer knows more than you
>>
>>56130040
the average consumer is an imbecile
>>
>>56130229
You do realize no one dresses like that outside of Seattle right?
>>
>>56129972
>there is no doubt that linux users are a minority, but don't you think it actually has more of a 4 or 5% share?
Nope, It's around 2% and seems to be slowly declining as well.

>doesn't linux not act as a botnet like windows and osx do?
Actually it does, see linux mint.

>these are people who likely aren't letting themselves be tracked to that extent to begin with
sure thing buddy

Let's face it linux was a meme os from the start. It never had any software support from big tech companies like Adobe and it was never user friendly.

It could have succeeded desu, but people wanted to make their own special snowflake distros and refused to share compatibility with each other.

This pretty much proves that if no money is involved in a project then it's pretty much guaranteed to suck. On that note all free as in freedom software sucks for that reason as well.
>>
>marketshare
>muh games

The Linux community couldn't give less of a shit about some undecided teenagers.
>>
>>56129972
5%?

I think 2% is actually on the larger side of the estimate. It's probably something like 1.5% or less.
>>
>>56130366
5 loos have been deposited into your designated account
>>
>>56129820
>2016
>7 billion desktops

Yeah, okay.
>>
>>56129898
everybody need to take the daily sugar dose from the canned products, so do not wonder if you are fat or have diabetes.

the same with windows, everyone needs to loose a little of their privacy, so do not wonder if something goes against your will at some point, due to info that you and other ignorants choose to keep/share on their botnets.

still, even diabetes and botnets are enjoyable, if you have the patience, so you might recommend them to others
>>
>>56129990
Almost every company I worked for, CVS, Chase, United States Government utilizes Windows Server, for their intranet websites in addition to the Remote Desktop systems.
>>
>>56130366
of course it never got support from companies dipshit, would you support a free alternative to your product?
>>
>>56129814
If I remember correctly the real market share is
Linux ~20-25%
Windows less than 10%
There is a lot of simple OS that are made for specific devices and they are like half of the market share.
>>
>>56129814
>marketshare
that 2% only includes linux distibutions that have a paid service like custom support , assistance , etc.
>>
>>56130454
I turned on old pc into a htpc with Linux, have my windows desktop, and a netbook.

Lots of people have more than one pc.
>>
>>56129814
Linux is server-worth OS.
>>
>>56129820
>not being able to do math
>>
>>56129814
Gnu/linux isn't used much on the desktop. Who cares? I use it. I like it.
>>
>>56133818
>>56133872
>being this delusional
lincucks everyone
>>
And it took only 20 years to get there. This means Linux will be the dominant desktop OS by the year 2496.
>>
>>56135075
Y E A R
O F
T H E
L I N U X
D E S K T O P
>>
File: Kanal TV.jpg (13KB, 390x309px) Image search: [Google]
Kanal TV.jpg
13KB, 390x309px
>>56135075
but we are living in the future, how can this be?
>>
>>56134767
if you consider every devices, smartphones, servers, desktops, supercomputers, embedded devices, etc.
>>
>>56135418
>every devices
>>
The 80% of Windows users use Windows because they have no idea of what Linux is, not because they consider it a better OS.

People usually don't play games or use Adobe PS on their pc, they're just mediocre people using a preinstalled SO.
>>
>>56135715
no you fucking nigger
people know lincucks and their distro's
linux is a half assed buggy piece of shit, all desktop desktop environments looks like made by 12 year olds, slow as fuck centralized repository, updating it is pure 99% luck not to break anything, god look all freetard softwares even malware in windows are better
>>
>>56135887
Hate to say it but I agree with this anon. I only have Debian as a hobby OS, I never do anything important on it.
>>
Linux and the free software movement are literally memes by Dawkins definition. But not in the colloquial sense.
>>
>>56129986
>more than a year without touching a command line once
b-b-but... where's the fun then?
>>
>>56135887
>>56135909
I read these posts in the voice of an angry script kiddie and laughed
>>
>>56129990
Have you ever worked in a company with >100 employees? I've never seen one which didnt use Exchange or Active Directory.
>>
>>56136118
Whatever helps you sleep at night, lincuck.
>>
>>56135887
I said the 80% of the users. If you think Windows its better because whatever reason you have its ok, chill.

I was talking about people who don't visit a technology imageboard and dont have idea of technology
>>
>>56129990
>IPA vs Active Directory
>Red Hat/CentOS vs Server 20XX
>Overt vs Hyper V
MS owns enterprise for anything larger than 50 employees.
Plenty of linux servers out there, but its shit compared to MS

Try to manage a domain with anything but MS and you'll spend more man hours than it cost to just pay for MS licensing.
I know because I work in a Red Hat shop
>>
File: fvrgvara.jpg (35KB, 680x464px) Image search: [Google]
fvrgvara.jpg
35KB, 680x464px
>>56130366
>mint is a botnet
source
>>
>>56136413
in it's 9 year lifetime, once this year a corrupt installation iso replaced the legit one and some people didn't check the hash.

linux mint will forever be a botnet according to /g/
>>
>the 1% have most of the riches
>similarly, the elite are using a superior OS

If you actually believe that popular = good, then you're not even worth the time it'd take to explain why you're an idiot.
>>
>>56135715
>>56137116
/thread
>>
Can we put the marketing share meme to rest?

Linux is free, you could have 30% of everyone using Gentoo and the market share would still be 0%.
>>
>>56137228
elaborate
>>
how is the information for this gathered, though
is it gathered from web >2.0 locations?
>>
Desktops are memes. Mobile and Cloud are much more important, and Linux absolutely dominates there.
>>
>>56129814
> Desktop
That's the meme here.

Try personal computing, and Linux the Kernel is number 1 in device and usage share.

Try servers (the shit you use like 90% of the time) and it's again the same.
>>
>>56137324
Linux on your desktop is your choice. And it has good merit.

Feel free to go with the Windows 10 (eventual?) majority, but having your computer managed by a company almost actively hostile to you that tries to get rid of workarounds that you've found for making dealing with them less annoying and risky to you has some obvious drawbacks.
>>
 install gentoo 
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.