[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>he went to college to study "computer science"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 343
Thread images: 42

File: cs major codemonkey.png (125KB, 813x600px) Image search: [Google]
cs major codemonkey.png
125KB, 813x600px
>he went to college to study "computer science"
>he went to college to learn """""programming""""""

CS has effectively become the new psychology degree.
It's the "default" degree that millennials take when they fall for the "everyone needs to go to college" meme and they enter college not knowing what they want.
These are people who think they'll fit in because they've spent their whole lives on their computer and think it'll be easy.

They've never bothered to learn programming or CS concepts in their spare time and just expect college to teach them everything because they really have no passion for programming.
They don't even do their assignments outside of school and certainly never open their text editor outside of class.
Ask any one of them if they've ever written software in their spare time for fun and they'll look at you like you're crazy.

And what do they get?
CS programs are almost unequivocally shitand only people who spend their spare time self-learning the stuff their classes leave out have any chance of making it in a tech world.
In an ideal world, you could self-teach most, if not all of a CS curriculum yourself, but you still need that slip of paper that says you went to college, so that's not realistic.
Most CS graduates cannot program worth a damn, and can't implement any data structure or concept that wasn't explicitly taught to them.

Don't fucking bother with computer science. Major in something you couldn't realistically learn on your own and teach yourself CS on the side.
>>
wtf i hate computer science now
>>
>>56128806
Murican CS may be shit, in my country it's pretty elitist on the major unis, speak for yourself burger.
>>
>>56128806
What is it that you can't realistically learn on your own?
>>
>>56128932
Law and Medicine are basically impossible to learn on your own.
>>
>but you still need that slip of paper that says you went to college, so that's not realistic
Not in all cases. You just have to be able to prove yourself otherwise.
>>
>>56128995
Are you retarded?
>>
>Live in Ireland
>Do some shit tier computing degree
>Graduate and feel like I know fuck all and should have worked harder
>Make a Linkedin profile
>Get offered a ton of jobs and internships day 1
>Take intership
>Company just teaches me the shit I need
>20 euros an hour.
It all surprises me when people shit on college and computing related degree.
>>
>>56128806
Someone's butthurt that they can't get a job, because they never went to college and thought their fizz buzz would wow Google.
>>
>>56128806
How about IT?
>>
>>56129048

i'm clever as shit and i've struggled with law in that past

some laws are from like 1890 bro ain't nobody understanding that shit without guidance
>>
>>56128806
>CS has effectively become the new psychology degree.
>It's the "default" degree that millennials take when they fall for the "everyone needs to go to college" meme and they enter college not knowing what they want.
I see OP is utilizing his Psychology degree to it utmost.
>>
>>56129020
HR people basically filter your resumes for keywords
if if it doesn't say BS you're going in the trash
>>
>>56129110
Mine says BA, but I got a CS job.
>>
>>56129048
He probably means it's hard as fuck to get internship at a hospital or clinic without help from a university.

Law college helps a ton landing you at a good intership but far from impossible to do it on your own, ironically any law major is worse than a CS bachelor's at a community college nowadays.
>>
>>56129110
Couldn't you just make a line of extremely small text.that looks like a decorative line with all the keywords in it?
>>
>>56129151
Your assuming a Weeb who couldn't hack uni is that smart.
>>
>>56129110
True, but that is not everyone does that. There are people who know there are lots of skilled programmers out there without degrees, and they're getting the upper hand over other employers by not filtering them out. If you are skilled you can get a job. Albeit a degree can make up for a lack of skill.
>>
>>56128806

i liked engineeering more but i suck at physics so i stuck with this meme :(
>>
I like programming but I hate math and I still have several years of math shit ahead of me.
I want to cut my losses so bad and just go it alone, but I don't have a portfolio.
>>
>>56129110
Seriously, who bothers with HR? I've always just shown up everywhere I wanted to get a job. Just be dressed good, walk in and demand to talk to the boss and everything will be fine
>>
>>56129286
And give him a firm handshake, right?
>>
>>56129286
Subtle trolls are the best trolls. 8/10
>>
>>56129299
Don't forget to look him deeply into the eyes
>>
>>56129048
> hi my name is pajeet I'm a self-thought medical surgeon I learned my dissections on you tube and bit torrent
>>
degrees help a little but it's more about the right attitude
there are 20 year olds with "meme degrees" that are probably making more than you because they apply themselves and actually get shit done

ricing your obscure tilingwm doesn't make you any better than anyone else nor does have a "real" degree and then not doing anything with it because you tend to get stuck on having a newline after a { or not and other autistic shit not covered in any programming book because nobody cares
>>
>>56129105
He's wrong anyways. They usually just take a gender studies or black history degree.
>>
File: CS is worthless.jpg (89KB, 650x369px) Image search: [Google]
CS is worthless.jpg
89KB, 650x369px
CS is a meme degree for people too stupid for real math and too stupid for real science.
>>
>>56129539
Any half decent uni has that shit in their CS curriculum.
>>
>>56129067
>live in Canada
>Graduate with 2yr IT degree
>apply everywhere
>make LinkedIn
>can't get in anywhere
>everyone wants experience that I couldn't get even though I did learn a lot
>bottom of the barrel jobs are mostly customer service rather than IT and don't want to hire me because I'm quiet

Might as well just end it all senpai
>>
>>56129992
Just lie about experience, dude.
No one will bother to do a background check on you if you do your job well.
>>
>math degree
>$300k/year starting
CS is for normies who can't do real math.
>>
>>56128806
Engineer student here how could I go about learning the language to make a simple UWP app that is an alternative way to access a website?

(Cytube)
>>
>>56128806
t. earned a degree in women and gender studies
>>
I can get behind OP. I'm a computer science senior and I don't think I could sit here and write a program more complex than something I learned in like sophomore year.

I've got 3 years IT experience and a full time job as a security analyst so I really don't care. This shits way easier than programming and pays pretty well.
>>
i'm working with these clowns on some shitty project to make a company internal android app; they like to get answers from indian people on stackoverflow when there's a perfectly good api

i hate the newer generation """programmers"""
>>
>>56130189
>they like to get answers from indian people on stackoverflow when there's a perfectly good api
>a perfectly good api
>api

how would the existance of an API help solve lack of documentation (the reason your monkeys would look at stack overflow) ?

do also you trace IP-s using visual basic GUIs by any chance?
>>
>>56130291
woops yes i meant the api documentation
i got used to saying stuff like "check the api" when translated in my country when it really means the documentation sorry english isn't the native language and that is our way of saying it
>>
Why is CS part of the engineering department? You can always count on the CS kids to ask the dumbest questions during class. Fucking faggots.
>>
>mfw reading OPs post

It's really true desu. Describes me exactly. I went into CS because I knew engineering was above me. I spent all my life on the computer and thought I was good at it. I was never the best at Math, but figured I could do it on this level at least. I also knew that I could self teach, one of the reasons I took it. I'm a master at Google and managed to get my whole degree and additional math minor by googling.

Bonus I wanted to add as well. I realised in high school how easy it was to leech off of other people's successes. I would just copy the code from the person next to me and change it up a bit. This served me well in uni too, I leeched my way to my degree copying many assignments and just gayming all the time. Only thing I had to focus on were tests. Which I did well on because my memorization is above average.

And where has this gotten me? 100k starting. You jelly faggots? Haha just kidding. I'm unemployed, but at least I look smart on paper with my CS degree and Math minor.
>>
>>56129992
What skills do you have anon? In what niche do you wanna get a jerb?
>>
>>56130370
everything vaguely involving brainpower, or something that looks like it does, and doesn't fit in things like medicine or law, gets lumped into engineering.
>>
File: 12.jpg (59KB, 952x859px) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
59KB, 952x859px
>>56130487

>mfw reading this as a junior comp sci major with no idea what i'm doing in the major
>mfw doomed to help desk forever
>>
>>56128806
And your autistic opinion holds dominion over the real situation of the world?

I mean you may be right in some places of your claim, but for the most part, employers can tell when somebody majors for computer science or programming for the 'meme', as you call it, versus those who really relish it.

You wouldn't know that, because you possibly haven't the slightest idea of how to read an employer, let alone another person. Maybe YOU should have majored in psych so you can at least have an inkling of how the world works outside of your spergy mind.

>pic related.

thats you. OP you slow ass bitch
>>
File: 1441231037040.jpg (33KB, 521x388px) Image search: [Google]
1441231037040.jpg
33KB, 521x388px
These threads have been posted so many times but it won't change the fact that if you have a genuine interest in the subject and actually do projects in your spare time and are at least somewhat sociable you won't have any problems getting a job.

At least this is what I believe and hope because I am a CS major at a shitty college. Quick anecdote:
>me at orientation
>there are like 3 dates for orientation, all of the people in CS at my particular date meet in one room where the professors explain our prospects
>early on they pass out informational papers based on our concentrations; there are 5 concentrations applied, theoretical, networking, web design, and game dev
>the room is full of fat ugly people. The only approachable looking guy there just talked about weed with our tour guy
>sitting at a table with two girls. Or I think so until I look closely at the one on my right and it's just a dude with a ponytail and red highlights with a bow in his hair. His nails are sharpened to points and his hands flat on the table to show them off. Shitty anime shirt
>around 40 people in the room. Prof asks who is in which concentration
>girl to my left is in web dev. I'm the only theoretical. Two guys don't know. Literally everyone else is game dev
>they talk about how people are with their standing in math. One person took college algebra before and most tested into calc 1. I took calc 1 the previous year and NC the year before that

I fucked up, /g/. At least I'm going for basically free
>>
>>56130709
BC*
>>
>>56130487
I did this, without the math minor. Got a 70k starting. I had a B average and only one project on git hub, which was my capstone.

If you have a CS or CE degree, you have to literally be autistic to not get a job. I literally sent out two aplications, got two offers. Took the better one. Get out of your house NEET
>>
>>56130839
Bullshit.
>>
>>56130839

Honestly, Canada is pretty whack for CS jobs. I'll assume you don't live here, or you do and had experience before graduating. I'm pretty autistic and salty at the world, but still.
>>
>>56130839
>>56130839

This dude is %100 right. If your aren't completely incompetent then you have to legit be autistic to not find a job, especially if you have a CS degree. I got a degree in mechanical engineering, realized too late that I actually prefer programming, but still landed a dev position shortly after graduating even though my only experience was the little bit of C# I taught myself in my free time.

Now only a couple years later I've paid off all my school debt and worked my way to a comfy job at one of the most prolific tech companies in the world.

The fact is that if you're even slightly personable, you're far ahead of a large majority of CS majors. As long as you can act professional and don't look like some weird basement dweller and actually know some practical shit (i.e., NOT game dev), then finding a job is very very easy.
>>
Finished my CE BS Degree here in Italy in March. Waiting September to start my MS (still choosing between CE, Control Engineering or Mechatronics). Got at least 5 different job calls.

>Pro tip: in Italy you are entitled "Doctor" with every BS or BA possible

Anyway, I'm genuinely curious: how are the CE (Computer Engineering) programs out there? Because we did a shitlot of math (well deep into complex analysis, signal theory & transmission, advanced algebra ecc. among my friends in other eng fields I'm the one who knows what is a Laplace transform), digital & analog electronics, system theory and control etc. Basically we took something from any of the IT/EE fields. It's the same for you folks?
>>
>>56128995
Law is the degree with the most self study, and least lectures in Denmark. So yeah, you can learn law on your own.
>>
>>56131228
What good is Law studies for anyway?
>>
>>56128806
ive been programming my whole life, started CS, got out before i even started finals. dunno how it is in another countries but that shit is the worst degree ive ever seen. better be ready to become a fucking code monkey
>>
>>56128806
What about CE?
>>
>>56129734
This

wtf? Are CS programs getting easier?
>>
>>56130709
>applied, theoretical, networking, web design, and game dev
I hope applied means something like systems development/architecture

because those choices seem awful
>>
>>56131373
I'm just starting my CS degree and we have a shit ton of math.
>>
Hey fellas, I dropped out after two years of getting a BS in compsci from an arguably decent school (Clemson in case anyone is wondering) am I fucked? I'm reading up on the stuff I would be studying this year and it doesn't really seem too complex.

Bottom line is, I'll probably be able to find a job right?
>>
>>56131456
Depends. Every job listing i've seen said it requires a BS.
>>
>>56128806
What's happening in that code? I don't understand, is he trying to swap to values in an array?
>>
>>56131423
That would be great, but no. It actually is just easier comp sci. You take some shit course called fundamentals of math and don't have to learn algorithms. I guess applied in the sense that you apply your lack of knowledge to being a code monkey
>>
>>56131521
You take that course instead of calc 1 and 2
>>
>>56131521
so it's basically a disguised codecamp

shouldn't be some regulations about what classifies a CS degree? how can I call my self a computer scientist and not know anything about algorithms?
>>
>>56131456
Yes, definitely. Just immerse yourself in self learning. Then if you can act professional and have some valuable skills, finding a job shouldn't be too difficult at all

Also, this guy is right
>>56131480
most listings will say they require a BS, but if you actually know your shit and can be personable then you can still land those jobs. However, if you have no degree and minimal experience, you might need to accept that you'll probably make slightly less than those with degrees starting out (in my first dev position I started at $2k less per year than my colleagues that had degrees, but being young and inexperienced it was still plenty of money), and that pay gap will quickly close if you prove you're smart and capable. Also most people in the field are basement dwellers so even a modicum of social skills goes a hell of a long way.
>>
>>56131578
>shouldn't be some regulations about what classifies a CS degree?
Maybe in 200 years.

CS has only existed in it's current state for 50 years.
Modern computing has existed for less than that.
>>
>>56131578
It's an accredited program which is why I'm still doing it. I will leave with no debt. I don't know how accreditation works. And you have a real point, I'm not sure how that can happen at all, it's quite sad. But I see it as there are now more people to climb over on our way up
>>
>>56131593
Thank you so much.

I ask this question as often as I can for motivation but I genuinely appreciate the replies.

As far as social skills go, I'm not retarded so I think I should be ok.
>>
>>56128806
I don't know, I went to university and did a BSc and we learnt swap and all important other algorithms in the first year...
>>
>>56128882
this

also
>They've never bothered to learn programming or CS concepts in their spare time and just expect college to teach them everything
I don't see the problem

>ever written software in their spare time for fun
Implying CS is about programming. You don't go to a university to become a code monkey.
>>
>>56128876
wtf I love memes now

I am now on #teammeme
>>
>>56129992
>2yr IT degree
Is IT something you go to college for in Canada?
What do they even teach you? How to connect printers and install VoIP phones?
>>
>>56131731
>I don't see the problem [with not being passionate or interested in CS other than for money]
>Implying CS is about programming.

Millennials... the lowest common denominator.
>>
>>56131795
My understanding is that it's mostly network configuration and whatnot.
>>
>itt: e/b/in memesters and ameritards that think CS is programming degree

but >>>/reddit/ is that way my friends.
>>
>>56131641
No problem, hope you manage to find something suitable

Just learn some industry relevant skills in your free time and work on creating a good LinkedIn profile (this goes a long way)
>>
>>56131920
It's not. But, if you come out with a CS degree and you *don't* know how to program, you and your school done fucked up.
>>
File: unknown herb.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
unknown herb.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
>>56128806
Computer science isn't a science and it isn't about computers.
>>
>>56131974
if you can't learn programming, then you are fucked up. CS is not here to teach you how to be code monkey at specific language. It will teach you most of the things that cover theoretical computer knowledge. Discrete maths and any compiler design course are good summaries of the whole CS curriculum. take a look at those.
>>
File: 1471035175943.png (325KB, 650x452px) Image search: [Google]
1471035175943.png
325KB, 650x452px
>>56128806
25% of all the coders employed in my last job were self-taught with no formal qualifications.
As a result, the product had fewer bugs, was developed faster and fucked the competition's product with a fucking crowbar in terms of stability and performance.

So few fags falling out of academia these days are worth employing. We used coding tests on all candidates. Most with degrees failed or gave complicated excuses that fell apart on closer examination.

Industry knows what it wants and how to get it!
>>
>>56132217
>25% of all the coders employed in my last job were self-taught with no formal qualifications.
and the rest of them?
>>
>>56132313
Do you even math?
>>
>>56132217

The industry is full of a bunch of retard nigger faggots who should consider a career in deepthroating penis instead.
>>
>>56130116
What's the work and pay like?
Is it a SOC?
What knowledge is needed (networking, Linux, security basics like CIA)?

t. Analyst wannabe
>>
This is my CS curriculum
>symbolic logic course
>3 courses of discrete math (combinatorics, set theory,
>3 course of algorithms & data structures (basic algorithms, data structures, graphs)
>web development course
>computer architecture & OS's courses
>networks course (basic shit, protocol implementation, network setup)
>programming languages course (language internals, programming paradigms (OOP, functional, logical))
>2 "software engineering" courses (UML, agile dev, good practices, architecture patterns, testing, etc.)
>3 database courses (SQL, ER design, object relations theory, database administration, query optimization)
>compilers course (automata theory, compiler theory, turing machines, how to make a compiler)
You can also take especialized courses in data mining, AI, algorithm design, game development, computer graphics and some other shit I don't remember.
>>
>>56130505
I would like to end up in a system administration job. But be well rounded with windows and Linux as well as have SQL and networking knowledge

>>56131795
They prepare you for windows mcsa, Cisco's ccna and they teach you some database and Linux basics.

Honestly the windows portion of the program was nice because our professor put together labs with realistic setups. We learned a lot about AD and setting up DNS, DHCP, sans, routers, fail over cluster, and more.

The 2yr program is kind of worthless in a way and my fault since the 3year has coop. I had difficulty getting a coop and dropped to the 2yr. I can go back but I'm concerned to put another 8-10k of debt on my loans.
>>
>>56132470

Just add devops to your linked in and say you are skilled in Docker im sure you will get hired.
>>
>Go to shitty regional undergrad
>Take bare minimum of statistical courses
>Take no math beyond calculus because CS department is scrambling to amputate all math from the curriculum because they're hemorrhaging retarded students who fail trig
>Make it through easily and get accepted to an excellent graduate school
>Put on a research project involving statistical analysis
I'm boned, aren't I? Surely the next five years aren't going to be an awful nightmare that I eventually crash and burn out of, or worse, fake my way through passably (but not well), leaving me in the same sort of position when I start work.
>>
>>56128806
Maybe in the US, but in my country there is a huge demand for both computer scientist and people with psychology degrees
>>
>>56128806
What's wrong with that swap function?
>>
>>56132785
everything
>>
>>56132785
void swap(int a, int b) {
int tmp = a;
a = b;
b = tmp;
}
>>
>>56132876
>needing more than the 2 variables a and b
>>
>>56128806
I did CS. Didn't really do much programming outside of uni assignments, but I did enjoy those very much. Couple of months ago I had to write a path tracer from scratch and I went pretty deep with optimization techniques. That was the most fun I had in a long time.
I planned to improve it in my spare time, but I haven't yet found the motivation and drive to start. I'm just playing vidya now that I actually have vacation.
>>
>>56132898
>MUH XOR AUTISM
>>
>>56132904
b += a;
a = b - a;
b -= a;
>>
>>56132940
What happens if (a + b) > INT_MAX
>>
>>56132940

mov rax, [a]
mov rdx, [b]
xchg rax, rdx
mov [a], rax
mov [b], rdx

Look, ma! No maths!

inb4 won't assemble.
>>
>>56132967
You install a 64 bit OS.
>>
>>56131818
Wtf i hate millenials now
>>
>>56130709
wew it's good to be in one of the only countries where CS is so popular, the classes are overpacked and full of normies
>>
>>56131274
The most powerful people in every society ever are those who know a) the law, b) economics, c) administration. They network together and rule the world, basically.

Law studies are a hell of a lot more relevant than CS, physics, and all of your nerd tech shit.
>>
>>56129069
This>>56131988
Nice copypasta
>>
>>56132940
You do know this is slower, right?
>>
>>56132217
>people without any qualification do near perfect job
nice autism level
>>
>>56132940
>making cryptical code just to save yourself a variable
>>
>>56133177
b += a;    //add a to b
a = b - a; //substract a from b and put it into a
b -= a; //substract a from b

Better?
>>
>>56128806
So will Computer Engy be the most /g/ degree?

Wished i could be an engineer but gotta become a jew first (economics)
>>
>>56132873
>>56132876
?

There is nothing wrong with the swap in op. Maybe a little ugly, but it should work.

Also you can do a swap without a helper variable if you use binary compare.
>>
>>56133379
it's straight up syntactically invalid you fucking idiot
>>
>>56128806
So how exactly does one get a good job if you don't have a degree?

Do Cisco certifications help? I mean those aren't through schools and you can take them online or in person.
>>
>>56132988
>he doesnt get basic secure coding
AHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
I'm really confused. Are your universities that teach Comp Sci not math intensive and theoretical? My school has like four classes that involve programming and the rest are all practically math courses. It even shares classes with the math department. I also live and go to school in America.
>>
Is there a reason to go to college if I'm not going to get an engineering degree?
>>
>>56133276
I hope I'll never have the displeasure of working with your code, dude.
>>
>>56133477
Is there a reason to go to college if I'm not going to get an engineering degree in USA?*
>>
>>56128806
that has to be an indian or something going to an indian uni, if not a troll, because there's NO FUCKING WAY that happens on a normal uni
>>
>>56133433
>syntactically invalid
Enlight me?
>>
>>56128882
>Murican CS may be shit
hahahahaaha what a fucking RETARD

im european but the usa is literally the country where cs is worth the most by far
>>
>>56133505
Yes, a degree is worth something everywhere in the world. Especially if you don't have the work experience to prove your knowledge otherwise.
>>
I go to a large public university in the US that is pretty high ranked in CS.

The department is accepting everyone and growing like crazy...way too fast for the professor count to handle.
I TA'd for one of the required courses at the 300 level (supposedly past the weed-out courses), and the incompetence of your average student was pretty shocking.

It's obvious that half of the students' only programming experience consists of the basic linked list and hash table implementation "projects" from their 1xx,2xx classes. It's not really their fault I guess, since you shouldn't need much prior experience to enroll in a major.

The problem is that, in 2-3 years, the job market is going to be full of these people with their CS degrees who don't know jack shit. I'm not sure if I should be worried that my degree will be worth less, or happy that it will be easier to distinguish me from the rest, though.
>>
File: 1438417288230.png (93KB, 764x402px) Image search: [Google]
1438417288230.png
93KB, 764x402px
>>56128806
Am I a loser for learning c# at tafe?
>>
>>56133610
Your degree is already basically worthless.
It just gets your foot in the door.
Most employers go in assuming that 99% of their applicants are lying about being able to program, which is why they give fizzbuzz.
>>
>>56133497
It's a joke you autist
>>
>>56131578
His degree is probably not ABET acredited
>>
>>56131220
Most CE in America is probably gonna be half EE half CS give or take on either side. Mine happens to be more EE, but we have a nice amount of electives I hope to fill with math and CS but there are EE electives too I think advanced computer architecture is EE for instance. 4 semesters worth of calc up to multivariable, stats, linear algebra, diff eq.
>>
>>56132898
compiler will optimize it so only registers are used you idiot
as in
    mov    eax, DWORD PTR [rdi]
mov edx, DWORD PTR [rsi]
mov DWORD PTR [rdi], edx
mov DWORD PTR [rsi], eax

>>56132940
that's shit
>>
>>56133865
>int temp = a.get(i);
>a.set(i,j);
>a.set(j) = temp;
I think you mean
int temp = a.get(i);
a.set(i,j);
a.set(j, temp);
>>
>>56133865
'set' always takes two parameters

>>56133555
>using a collection type instead of just int[]
>using ArrayList instead of the List interface
>treating the ArrayList as if it were an int[], while at the same time trying to use a 'set' method, something not possible with int[]
there are very few ways to make that code any worse than it is
>>
These threads are all posted by the same autist who was tricked into studying math.

It is common knowledge that CS grads are in very high demand.
>>
>>56134012
>CS grads who will work for minimum wage with no benefits are in very high demand

fixed that for you
whenever you see the word SHORTAGE, it doesnt mean that prospective hires DONT EXIST.
It means that they can't find prospective hires WILLING TO WORK FOR SHIT PAY
>>
>It's the "default" degree that millennials take when they fall for the "everyone needs to go to college" meme

no, that would still be psychology. liberal arts for things like psychology communications and social work still have the highest enrollment by a substantial margin, and bachelor of science has one of the lowest enrollment. You perceive a CS degree to be the new "default" because you spend all day on /g/ and are constantly reading about dummies who think "programming" is all drag and drop stuff and not 40% syntax and 60% math. yeah, those people are dumb, but based on your objective conclusions based on conjecture, so are you.

yes, im doing computer science :^)
>>
>live in middle of buttfuck nowhere
>population 1200: 900 rednecks, 250 decently intelligent people and 50 well informed individuals
>can install Anti-Virus, Malwarebytes and a computer cleaner
>start it up and hit run
>am applauded for "knowing about computers"

Ugh
>>
File: bobbydrank.jpg (8KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
bobbydrank.jpg
8KB, 184x184px
>>56132217
>mfw I attended one of the top CS universities in the US
>mfw I genuinely enjoy software development and made the most out of my time in school, gaining knowledge inaccessible to self-taught NEETs
>mfw I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 years of college and made lifelong friends
>mfw handed job offers by university career department when I graduated
>mfw recruiters recognize the top 25 CS school brand on my resume
>mfw I'm a part of a vast alumni network who I can instantly connect with and talk about my school's sports teams, greek life, etc
>mfw I don't have to explain that I am a self-taught former NEET with fraudulent, unearned skills
>mfw all of these things make me more employable and valuable than you
>mfw you are objectively inferior to me in the industry

How mad does it make you that you will always be a step below the rest of the industry? How much does it bother you than you are structurally inferior to most everyone you work with because you failed to be a normal person and go to college?

I genuinely implore you to kill yourself.
>>
>>56134092
> gaining knowledge inaccessible to self-taught NEETs

Name 1 thing.
>>
>>56134092
University is the path to debt slavery.
Fuck off.
>>
>>56134080
This.
>>
File: 1443479664468.jpg (34KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
1443479664468.jpg
34KB, 704x396px
>>56133956
>>56133980

>mfw graduated last month
>cant get a swap right either without an IDE holding my hands
>>
File: squat.jpg (528KB, 2658x2201px) Image search: [Google]
squat.jpg
528KB, 2658x2201px
I studied CS in an Eastern European shithole of a country in early 00's. My studies were approximately 10% computer and 90% science (maths, maths, theory, maths, formal proofs, maths, formal analysis, maths, more maths). The amount of code-monkey-vocational-school-level classes was absolutely minimal, mainly because:

1. The assumption was: if you have mental capacity to get through all the "science" part, you can pick up the "computer" part (i.e. learning whatever the fuck programming language / architecture / methodology / DBMS / etc. is popular at the moment) on your own.
2. Most people in my year were fairly decent programmers *before* they decided to study CS in the first place.

There was also a 2-step admissions process: a written maths exam and a chat with the faculty staff, during which they tried to see if you're into CS because of genuine interest in the field or because of "muh well paid job". In the latter case, you simply wouldn't get accepted.

That kind of approach is the reason why Slavs, while being shit in many other areas, are damn good programmers and dominate in pretty much every international programming and algorithmic competitions.
>>
>>56134120
This. No one at my node.js job uses any of the useless data structure shit they thought in school. Implementation > theory.
>>
>>56134120
man, am I glad that I don't live in the USA
>>
>>56134112
Ok
>How to work well with peers/colleagues
>How to handle the pressure of deadlines
>How to maintain work/life balance with a busy schedule
>Presentation skills
>Any knowledge I wanted from classes across 75+ majors at my uni

Inb4 you learned all these things at TutorialsPoint.com

>>56134120
Paid off my debt in 2 years because I'm not retarded and stayed in-state. Thanks for meme-ing
>>
>>56134388
Social skills and how to manage your time?
You don't need college to teach you that.

Fucking retard.
>>
I do believe college is a scam, but CS is kinda-sorta what I'm interested in. I know it's not just programming, but I do want to learn to program. Does anyone have tips for self-learning? I already run GNU/Linux and am comfortable in vim, but I keep losing interest in the books I've tried so far, and same with codecademy. I got a couple chapters into both C Primer Plus and Think Python 2nd Edition.
>>
>>56134415
>Fucking retard

Hey friend, you're the one who only picked one thing off of the huge list of things that prove how truly worthless you are.

Again, kys. There is nothing you will ever be able to do to bridge the gap between you and people who did things the right way.
>>
>>56134470
kisses you softly?
>>
>>56128806
>They've never bothered to learn programming or CS concepts in their spare time and just expect college to teach them everything because they really have no passion for programming.
That always bothered me - why do you have to sacrifice your whole life on the Altar of Computer Science to mean anything on the market? In almost all other fields you don't have to go that far. You just have to do exactly what OP complains about - only the shit they require from you in college and you're golden.
I have friends who are civil engineers, mechanical engineers, etc. and they don't seem to be even passionate about what they do. Sure, some of them are working for like 12h a day 6 days a week, but it's their choice while others just do their 9 to 5 and they still manage to make careers and have families while I'm Reading The Fucking Manuals in my spare time.
>>
File: CMU.png (55KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
CMU.png
55KB, 800x800px
>grad student
>always see these posts on /g/ and /sci/
>chuckle sensibly to myself
>>
>>56133142
more like
>people who have been programming since they were kids do better than people who just went to college for the piece of paper
>>
>>56133561
retards like you don't understand yours and his statements aren't mutually exclusive.
>>
>>56134521
Software engineering is more art than it is a science.

You expect a musician to practice regularly.
You don't expect a programmer to code in their free time for fun, but as it turns out, all the competent ones do it anyway.

These are the people who went to college for the piece of paper, they didn't even need it but that's how fucked up the job market is these days.
>>
>>56134623
somehow, that doesn't convince me at all
>>
>>56134623
It's more like engineering, not art.

I get the analogy, but no. Programming is a trade in which people who practice get better, like art. Software enginnering is more business-like than simple programming.
>>
>>56129097
Information Technology is babby's programming. That's where women learn programming there.
>>
>>56131220

How the fuck are you the only one of your """"engineering """" friends who knows what is a Laplace Transform?

>mfw im an EE major
>mfw we studied it on the second semester
>litteraly not even half a year into uni

go away son.
>>
>>56128806
just go to an elite uni like MIT, I can't imagine cs being shit there
>>56130081
I hate the 300k meme
>>
can relate

getting a CS degree but don't really give a shit about programming (or anything really). I will probably work retail until I'm about 30 and then kill myself.
>>
>>56134240
Not everyone writes front end CRUD apps all day.

CRUD apps are the easiest things in the world to write.
>>
>>56130081
what do you do?
>>
>>56134388
>asked to enumerate "inaccessible skills gained through college"
>lists some corporate newspeak buzzwords
Ok. Now we know you're just making shit up.
>>
>>56129097
>tfw my college didn´t have CS so I had to take IT
>>
File: d2e.png (78KB, 412x351px) Image search: [Google]
d2e.png
78KB, 412x351px
>>56128806
>It's the "default" degree that millennials take when they fall for the "everyone needs to go to college" meme and they enter college not knowing what they want.
>>
>>56132988
cop out bitch
>>
File: D3.jpg (51KB, 194x193px) Image search: [Google]
D3.jpg
51KB, 194x193px
>>56128806
>>56135914
>its the go-to for people who "need to go to college"
does that mean I will automatically be top of the cohort? I know how to do a swap.
>>
I live like right next to Silicon Valley. Is it still worth regardless of being a meme degree?
>>
>>56134080
to be honest working a fuck-all job like this sounds pretty good. More time to do the things you actually want to do.
>>
>>56128806
CS might be the "default" meme degree people declare going into uni, but if they're not dropping out by the dozens, you're just in a shit program that needs to step up the hard math and theoretical courseload.

Just like how every student wants to study CS, every shitty university wants to take their money by offering a mediocre bare-minimum CS major.
>>
>>56132785
his swap function sets a[i] to the literal value of j, not a[j]... it doesn't work
>>
>>56134193
This. That's exactly how my studies looked like in late 00's. Things have changed though. If you check new curriculums you'll notice significantly less math and more technical stuff.
>>
>le 'CS is just a meme' meme
So if that's what you guys believe, what would you suggest as a major for a software development job?
>>
>>56136107
Self-taught programming you faggot
>>
>>56136107
Coding boot camp
>>
>>56136123
Well no shit, of course I'm doing that, but it seems like a lot of jobs require more official qualifications.
>>
>>56136141
Certificates???

Jesus anon
>>
>>56136107
>>56136141

The "CS is a meme" crowd is a bunch of faggots who weren't good enough to make it into a decent university, or spent all their time playing vidya in their dorm room and never got any experience or connections so they're butthurt they spent the money on their degree.

If you want to be taken seriously you'll go to a decent school. There are LOTS of trash universities with trash CS programs, but there are plenty of good ones too. The spergs on this board just don't aspire to anything more than mediocrity.
>>
>>56136157
Not from what I've seen. Fuck, a lot of them require CS degrees.
>>
>>56136165
/thread
>>
i study telematics systems engineering
>>
>>56136168
Okay anon, if you got the fucking money, time and math skills then fucking do it and do a dual degree with Math

Once you finish that shit, you can do whatever you want and having 90+k dlls/yr starting
>>
I minored in CS and I am baout to start a PhD in CS at an ivy league institution lol.
>>
I know they're pretty much both totally different but should I go with this or server administration?
>>
File: IPBRQYC.jpg (28KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
IPBRQYC.jpg
28KB, 500x371px
This is why you take a CST, T for technician, course. Gives great hands kn experience, and I've been teaching myself stuff like Docker, python, shell scripting, and dickjng with Loonix in general in hopes of getting a sysadmin job.

Lotta foreign students (read: POO) in my course though, specifically a large number that most likely did not get the "don't copy other's work" dealyo. Major mess last sem
>>
>>56136220
What was your major, anon? Fully funded? Doing anything in AI/Machine Learning?
>>
I went the way of a CS minor. It has provided some insight into the concepts and theory of computer science that the progamming books I've used didn't cover or explain well.
>>
>>56136259
Cognitive Science. Yeah I am doing socially-assistive robotics. Fully funded with stipend. AMA if you're interested.
>>
>>56136286
I'm doing CS undergrad at Michigan right now, interested in machine learning and it seems grad school is the way to break into that field.

Still a few years off from it, but it's interesting to hear other peoples' stories. How much research were you involved in, and how was the process of applying to grad school?
>>
>>56128932
Anything beyond textbook knowledge. Although theoretically, you can still figure everything out on your own, but it's going waste you a lot of time.
>>
>>56136359
Do your own projects.
You learn more by challenging yourself than you do reading theory.
>>
>>56128806
>>>/sci/8278994

nice copypasta
>>
>>56136340
Did a whole bunch of research in Evolutionary robotics. Research is really the key for getting into grad school. You need to show that you have a passion and desire to do research. As for the OP, Im not sure what hes going on about. Didnt even discover compsci/robotics until my sophomore year and fell in love. Here's the thing: the majority of people in life are looking to get by doing the bare minimum. If you are willing to work even a little harder than everyone else, you will put yourself head and shoulders above them. This is made easier when you are passionate about something.
>>
>>56136716
He's not wrong tho.
>>
>>56128806
t. Pure Maths Grad
$500k any job I want. Companies are begging for my resume. I learnt coding in my own time. Computer ""Science"" should be moved to the arts dept.
>>
>>56134120
This is why I'm glad I'm not born in the US.
>>
Hey Associates in Science and future bachelor's in BA focused in CIS here.

I want to be a network systems administrator. Is my current degree path optimal or should I go for an actual network systems associates instead of a 4 year business administration focused in computer information systems degree?
>>
>>56130839
Almost my situation also. No internship, a few projects on github, and a static portfolio website. Got a job before I graduated. Although I sent out way more applications, probably like 50 while I was finishing up school.
>>
>>56136746
Cool, thanks for sharing, anon. Reasonable advice is pretty rare around these parts.
>>
What are the current prospects for automated testing? Is it a meme? I got an internship in that position and our tests are flakier than popcorn.
>>
>study CS in college
>watch anime and play video games all day
>never go to class
>still get a 4.0
>start interviewing in October of senior year
>get offer at Google
>make 180k in my first year out
Man, I sure fell for the meme.
>>
>>56131521
>don't have to learn algorithms.
But that's literally computer science.

>>56130709
>Literally everyone else is game dev
Game dev in my uni has their own major. It makes sense because they just work in engines, APIs, and also non-programming stuff like modelling.

Networking also has their own major of IT. And web design isn't even a real major, that's just like an elective you take that you cna also learn on your own. Basically, what your school calls "computer sciecne" is really just "assortment of computer related things" with the exception of 'theoretical'. Your school is whack dude
>>
>>56128806
>you need to have passion for a subject and study it outside of class if you want to be successful

So it's exactly like literally every other academic subject?
>>
>>56136971
I was incorrect in saying that applied don't learn algorithms. But it is just an easier theoretical. And you don't take calc 2 or real stats
>>
File: IMG_20160817_234338.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160817_234338.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>56136971
Forgot pic related. Applied
>>
>>56136898
So much autism.
>>
>>56132972
>xchg rax, rdx
full on, 100%, retardation. this is so bad that i am angry.
>>
>>56137275
>muh sour grapes
>>
this thread is so embarrassing lol
>>
>>56137226
Damn that's shitty math requirements. My program requires calc I/II, DiffEQ, Linear Algebra, plus stats and discrete math.

Then you've got Intro to Data Structures, Data Structures and Algorithms, Computer Organization, Foundations of CS, plus 26 credits of CS/Engineering electives.
>>
>>56132876
>not passing the variables as pointers
enjoy your swap only applying to the scope of that function.
>>
>>56129151
Just make the text white on the last page at the bottom.
>>
>>56137365
>Having a multipage resume
>$CURRENT_YEAR
>>
File: IMG_20160817_235716.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160817_235716.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>56137326
This is the one I'm doing, theoretical which is pretty much just CS. It's still pretty bad desu senpai
>>
>>56137405
where are you studying, if that's okay to ask
>>
>>56132988
int is still 32 bit on a 64 bit os you idiot
>>
>>56129353

Did he practice surgery on the neighbours dawg or watt.

Lmao
>>
>>56137405
>Core
>OOP shit instead of Operating systems
what the fuck?
>>
>>56137420
Edinboro University of Pennsylvania. One of those universities that advertises on billboards. But free is good
>>
>>56137326
News flash, computers are binary animals
>>
File: 1454218646196.jpg (41KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
1454218646196.jpg
41KB, 550x512px
>>56137461
2 hard
>>
>>56137462
My Uni advertised on billboards. So now I'm stupid?
>>
>>56137494
By my metric yes I guess so. I may have to revise given a larger sample
>>
>take CS in American school
>actually is CS with most programming just there to support learning the CS stuff we were doing
Stop going to bad schools and devaluing my passion. Push more schools to offer SE degrees so the CS programs don't have to pick up those students.
>>
>>56132470
If its a 2yr program just bridge and get a degree
>>
File: courses.png (95KB, 1075x789px) Image search: [Google]
courses.png
95KB, 1075x789px
>>56137476
WTF is that supposed to mean? That because computers run binary, you don't have to know math? Confirmed Pajeet.

Anyway here's the rest of the courses available for CS at my uni, I'll be taking at least 10 I think.

>>56137538
This desu
>>
this probably isnt the place to ask, but since there are so many educated individuals in this thread, is it hard to get into grad school if you just go to a state school?
>>
>>56133672
>ABET
How important is ABET? My school's CE program isn't, but there EE program is. I got accepted to both programs, but kind of wanted to do CE because I've already taken upper level CS classes, because I was going to do EE with a CS minor.
>>
File: Texas Tech Billboard.jpg (110KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
Texas Tech Billboard.jpg
110KB, 500x300px
>>56137501
OK ur right, I tried to find a reputable Uni th@ advertised on billboards but I can't.
>>
>>56137577
Grad school is really competitive. Do really well on your GREs, and have some awesome recommendations. My friend did his BS in physics, did an internship at the chem lab at UW one summer while an undergrad, and because that was kind of his "in" he ended up doing his doctorates in physical chemistry because just doing physics was too hard to get in to with just his grades and GREs. Physical chemistry worked out for him because they already knew him a bit.

You should talk to your professors, though. They all have phd's and have gone through exactly what you have, but more.
>>
You guys must go to shitty schools or have bad friends. My classes are pretty rigorous and seem to be /g/ approved. But the important thing though is that I make friends with other people that also enjoy programming. We drink together and discuss projects or things we hate about whatever language(java), we program together, or sometimes just help each other out, it's fun.
>>
>Not going EE
lmao
>>
>>56137647
Shh, don't tell the CS rejects. We don't need a flood of incompetent morons saturating our field too.
>>
>>56137582
If it's not accredited I'd be highly skeptical.

>>56137577
I have multiple family members who went from a nowhere state U to a top grad school in their field. It's possible, but it depends on how much effort you put in. Someone who slacked their way through an ivy league school won't have a huge advantage over someone who busted their ass through a decent state school.

Of course, that depends on how hard you work and how good you are at what you do, and where on the spectrum your state school falls. There's Michigan and Berkeley, but then there's plenty of shitty no-names.

>>56137638
4chan is full of autists. That's about all the explanation this "problem" really needs.
>>
>>56137667
Difference is that it's harder to get a job or not flunk out as an incompetent moron when you're in EE.
Less SJW batshittery too, which is nice.
>>
>>56134120
Not if you go to a college with decent financial aid.
>>
>>56134120
>>56134240
>He couldn't get a scholarship
>He couldn't get a non-shit job

No wonder you guys are so pissed all the time. If you actually bothered to learn the shit from school you could be writing the backend and make more. Then again, if all the fuckups like you figured that out they'd depress the wages due to increased supply, so stay sleeping, goy.
>>
File: 1444846893803.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1444846893803.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>56137682
>4chan is full of autists
I mean, I'm also an anime weeblord at home but that's irrelevant while I'm at school. Just b urself guys :^) you'll make all the friends in the world.
>>
>>56134120
>He didn't go to CC while saving up, working while taking care of basic courses
>He didn't transfer his junior year and pay for it with his savings
>He didn't get a summer internship after his junior year to pay for his entire senior year.
easy peazy
>>
>>56136783
That's a pretty big stretch to say. I doubt you touched on the finer points of computer architecture or network protocols.
>>
>>56129100
why are the laws harder to understand if they're old

law is easy
>>
>>56137868
they're terribly written and incredibly vague
>>
File: the_average_apple_buyer.jpg (35KB, 453x604px) Image search: [Google]
the_average_apple_buyer.jpg
35KB, 453x604px
>>56134193
The complexity and abundance of abstraction layers has increased exponentially since that time. Since you've been in the field since then it is easy for you not to notice but for newcomers into the field if they learned solely math/science they wouldn't have enough practical knowledge. It is good to learn both but I think you should be pragmatic about what education is supposed to offer at the end of the day.

If a student graduated today in math/science it would take them years to onramp into Linux, cloud, containers, git, their language of choice, etc etc etc on top of the degree. What makes the most sense to me is to teach these skills in parallel; learn math/science but perform with maintainable code.
>>
>>56137868
Ok go ahead and pass the BAR then
>>
>>56129353
>this guy pajeet keeps comin down to our butchery an' buyin about 5 or 6 pig carcasses at a time from us, but I mean, hey, it gets us a shitton o' money so I ain't sayin shit
>>
File: Y5eP1QP.jpg (214KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Y5eP1QP.jpg
214KB, 1280x1280px
>>56133654
>he's the autist
>says the guy who made a programming joke
>>
>>56134193
>Heels not on desk
WESTERN SPY GET OUT REEEEE
>>
>>56132441
id leave if they made me do agile
some hairy prick breathing over your shoulder
>>
>>56132334
>only black and white exists
rms detected
>>
>>56132940
retard
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 300x188px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 300x188px
>>56132988
>>
>>56133561
>usa is literally the country where cs is worth the most by far
yeah but the degrees suck, thats why they hire so much people from overseas like me :^).
>>
>>56128806

>100000000 CS students graduate and apply for work
>they're told to write fizzbuzz
>100 people succeed
>the rest fucks off

Literally no problem
>>
>>56133276
wtf, this code does not work. Are you trying to swap a and b ? Did you read your code ? Are you dumb ?
>>
>>56133276
Holy shit this is so clever !
>>
>>56139619
int a = INT_MAX, b = INT_MAX;
swap(&a, &b);

now what?
>>
>>56128806
absolute meme

your shitty post screams that you have no idea what you do at a university
>>
fizzbuzz is the lamest test/idea/word in the world.
if someone mentions it you are obligated to kick them in the junk.
>>
File: wat.jpg (389KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
389KB, 768x1024px
>>56128806

Right now I am double majoring in CS and math. Should I just drop CS and stick with math?
>>
>>56137891
This is one of the major problems with the current curriculum in CS. They don't teach any enterprise methodology, technology stacks, etc. Only people that load themselves up with as many project classes as possible get even a hint of real world exposure until they land an internship.

People will go through 4 years of learning how to code, theory, algorithms, etc.. and never hear something as simple and valuable in the workplace as RESTful, SOAP, Saas, SOA, ESB, etc. etc.
>>
>>56129344
And fuck him right in the pussy.
>>
>>56139988
Those are all meme terms which cropped up in the last 5 years and won't exist 5 years from now.

Colleges have no need to teach about literal tech industry fads.
By the time they make it into college books, they're already outdated.
>>
>tfw going into junior year of CS
>can't really read hexadecimal
>can't convert between anything other than binary and decimal, and only easy stuff, can't do different notations in binary at all
>don't know anything about big O notation
>don't have different types of search/sort algorithms memorized
>don't ever do anything related to CS or programming outside of class
>have a 3.8 gpa

i'll never find a job will i
>>
>>56128806
Agree. it's like majoring in using a hammer. If you can learn it yourself, why major in it?
>>
>>56139988
Universities are not vocational schools. "Enterprise methodology, technology stacks, etc." are not science. Familiarity with a bunch of ephemeral memes like "RESTful, SOAP, Saas, SOA, ESB" doesn't make you a master of science.
>>
File: o i am laffin.jpg (11KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
o i am laffin.jpg
11KB, 250x250px
>>56128806
>he entered college not knowing what he wanted

STAP PLEASE JUST STAP MY SIDES
>>
File: 1356373241265.jpg (830KB, 922x882px) Image search: [Google]
1356373241265.jpg
830KB, 922x882px
>>56134080
>hear this kind of shit all the time
>when I look for jobs they expect 3 years experience, certifications and specific vendor/application knowledge

Fuck actual IT, I just want an easy job clicking a few buttons and browsing the net till im off.
Think ive purposefully avoided a few positions cause they would expect me to actually know shit and put in effort 40 hours a week.

But the simple ones almost never pop up on job sites.
>>
>>56129305
I don't know if you're serious, but here in Germany it always worked fine for me with companies smaller than 500 employees. This probably only works because so few are doing this.

But I don't expect you to grasp the possibilities of a face to face conversation, since you're probably too dysfunctional to even pick up the phone.
>>
>>56131988
is it a branch of mathematics?
>>
Jokes on you, I studied music
>>
>>56140118
Nope.
>>
>>56134120
>University is the path to debt slavery.
only if you, like, suck.

do you suck?
>>
>>56134193
>That kind of approach is the reason why Slavs, while being shit in many other areas, are damn good programmers and dominate in pretty much every international programming and algorithmic competitions.
this. for one piece of evidence look up Gleb Smirnov. everytime that guy speaks i learn some very useful shit
>>
>>56140267
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP_bKvXkoC4
>>
>not just getting a shit load of IT certs and joining the National Guard as an IT guy to get a Security clearance and be more marketable.

Making 27 dollars an hour as a network admin in a town that the most expensive rent is 900 dollars.

And I'm 20. College is a meme.
>>
>live in italy
>ending first year of CS uni
>out of 150 students maybe 30 know how to install an OS
>out of 150 students maybe 10 use linux
>most of them only have a laptop and have never assembled or disassembled a computer
>someone even use duck duck go because "it have a cute duck on the page"
>there are even applefags who thinks they are kings of CS
in my prevision maybe 20/30 of the entire class will be successfull in CS, a lot of people is there just to fill their free time and procrastinate on life, there is not a lot of competition.
>mfw having fun of normies and having fun learning stuff i like
>>
>>56128806
Pretty much this. I think it's really degrading the quality of CS classes at uni because they have way too many retards who say "my lifelong dream is to make gaymes" so they cater to them. I'm a millennial, I started CS straight out of high school because I already knew programming and wanted to improve! CS is way too easy though, probably because I'm literally autistic. Ended up changing to chemical engineering.
>>
>>56128882
/thread
>>
File: 1468284417423.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1468284417423.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>
>>56129144
It's not hard, It's impossible. To work in law or medicine you need to have a license from the government that says you can work in these fields. I'm not even sure if you can get that license without first going through college.
>>
>>56132018
>if you can't learn programming, then you are fucked up.
and if you're that fucked up but still got a degree, then the school is also fucked up and is devaluing their degrees
>>
>>56128806
nice thread to keep others out of CS so it can be ur sekrit club

not complaining tho desu
>>
>>56140267
speaking of competitive programming, based tourist
>>
>>56139988
These are things that you pick up when you actually start working. And it will only be the relevant ones for your job. Hopefully, university have prepared people to have the ability to learn these things by themselves.
>>
>>56132470
sounds pretty similar to what i did in college
might just bridge and get a degree like this guy said >>56137544
>>
>>56128882

CS was born in USA. Everything related to it too.
>>
>>56128806
OP is just butthurt he didn't get shit out of his degree.
You have no one to blame but yourself.
>>
Most kids dropped computer science during the early programming courses.
>>
>>56142629
> who were Babbage, Lovelace, Pascal, Boole, Turing, Dijkstra, von Neumann and a fuckton of other people
Computer science != IT industry, you millenial faggot.
>>
>>56140118

Lmao. You won't need any of that shit when you find a job. Assuming you're not trying to be an embedded systems programmer. Just learn that shit to pass like everyone else, get your paper, then try for a job.
>>
I just signed up to do a BEng/MEng in Electronic and Computer Engineering, turning down an offer to do Compsci at another university.

Did I make the wrong decision? Has anyone here experience with Electronic and Computer Engineering or Electronic/Computer engineering?
>>
>>56131425
No it doesn't. You're just a retard that thinks set notation is a shit ton of math.
>>
>>56128882
You prolly mean computer engineering
>>
>>56142804
What's the difference?
>>
>>56129734
Most schools only require Calculus 1&2 and Matrix Algebra (9 hours). Recently, many schools are dropping Matrix Algebra and offering a watered down CS version instead.

>but muh algorithms class mentioned graphs so it identifies as a trans-math class now.
>>
>>56142766
Which uni?

>fucked up my grades (was planning on getting AAB)
>rejected from Southampton
>now going to Kent
>>
File: Hardest class in CS.png (423KB, 490x684px) Image search: [Google]
Hardest class in CS.png
423KB, 490x684px
>>56132018
>Discrete maths are good summaries of the whole CS curriculum. take a look at those.

>>
>>56134546
>he went to cuck mellon uni
>>
File: Untitled.png (25KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
25KB, 1152x648px
>>56142766
>>
File: 1451044106256.png (14KB, 716x347px) Image search: [Google]
1451044106256.png
14KB, 716x347px
>>56142766
>>
>>56137387
this tbqh fâm
>>
>>56142832
I was rejected from York for Compsci because they wanted ABB (after I went to an interview; originally it was AAB) but I messed up Physics and ended up with BBB; they rejected me.

I was going to go to Swansea (my insurance) for compsci, but I'd never been there; York ended up offering me Elec&Comp Engineering which I accepted (they only gave me 1hr to decide).

Not sure if I regret what I did. I really liked the look of York and I'd never been to Swansea.. but I've wanted to do Compsci for 3 years.

>>56142858
>>56142870
Thanks.
>>
>>56139988
I agree that not teaching stacks is a problem, but I also dont think that any of the standard courses are useless enough to get rid of so we can replace them. Its a catch 22.
>>
>>56132876
Idiot.

No return or pointers.

Someone needs to put this in the CS Degree Meme collection.
>>
>>56140643
>scapegoating gamers
>implying it's not the slow-witted that hate quick paced games for making them feel stupid
>>
>>56142823
>mfw I needed to learn 4 calculus, matrix algebra, vector calculus, combinatorics, set theory, statistics, probability, relational algebra, computational math
CS has the second biggest amount of math courses just after pure math.
>>
>>56142889
>messed up Physics

AQA by any chance?

BBB is still pretty decent, I totally fucking bombed.
>>
File: (you).jpg (23KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
23KB, 600x399px
>>56139483
>wasting time testing 100000000 CS students to find 0.0001% that are good
>not just throwing out their resumes on sight and looking at other STEM majors instead

kek
>>
>>56143041
Nah, though I heard the AQA Physics wasn't nice. My college uses WJEC, I think it's because it's easier.

desu I was expecting a lot worse. You going where you wanted to?
>>
>>56142938
>>No return or pointers.
>Not knowing about references

Classic CS major.
>>
>>56143004
>combinatorics, set theory, statistics, probability, relational algebra, computational math

CS courses don't count.
>>
>>56143088
AQA fucked me over so hard.

Nope, rejected from firm.

Doing a foundation year then going to try and transfer to Southampton if all goes well.
>>
>>56143114
I assume you only spent 2 years doing AS/A-level? I messed up my first year (getting CDDE) so I re-sat some things and did alright the next year. I don't regret going for another year to get to where I did.

Good luck.
>>
File: CS 7 step guide.png (178KB, 1068x1142px) Image search: [Google]
CS 7 step guide.png
178KB, 1068x1142px
>>56137800
Anyone can teach themselves CS in under a year.
>>
>>56143202
And then be stuck in a basement because no one would waste their time on an idiot with no degree.
>>
File: my face my life.jpg (44KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
my face my life.jpg
44KB, 500x393px
>>56143164
I wish mate, I fucked up my first year as well.

>rest of my family is super successful
>one of my cousins got 4 A*s and ended up at Imperial or some shit
>meanwhile my life is a disaster
>>
>>56131274
Running companies, countries, leading people. Basically anything that isnt related to creating stuff yourself. There is a reason most bankers, president, hedgefund managers etc have law degrees. Its not about the knowledge itself, its about law teaching you a certain way of thinking.

Of course your can self teach law, you can self teach anything that doesnt require lab time. But the problem with law is that the approach and wording of a sentence are ridiculously important. And how are you gonna improve those? By checking tests yourself? Thats basically something universities do. They point out your mistakes so you can improve upon them. Thats something you can do yourself in programming, you wont notice this shit when drafting a legal doc though. After all, it sounds logical to you.
>>
>>56143235
>I need a degree with the job title to get the job

When will this meme die?
>>
>>56143312
when will you die?
>>
>>56143312
Go on any job listing site. Find me a job paying 150k+ that doesn't explicitly list a degree in its requirements.
>>
>>56143342
>a degree
>not thee degree
>>
>>56132632
Just take a bunch of courses from the math department
>>
>>56143388
Have fun in your mother's basement with your "self study" course.
>>
>>56132967
>doesn't know (Z/INT_MAX*Z, +) forms a group

And CS majors pretend to know "advanced" math....

>>56133123

Addition only takes 1 cycle.
>>
>>56143405
>being so proud you learned how to fizzbuzz in school for only $30K and 4 years of your life
>>
File: 1459302233484.jpg (3MB, 3508x2480px) Image search: [Google]
1459302233484.jpg
3MB, 3508x2480px
>>56143248
I'm not far from your position. Both of my parents work in CS at a university, doing teaching or research. Don't lose hope because you're burdened with high expectations.
>>
>>56143536
Good luck.

Hopefully we won't end up like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5AkBBQWZR4
>>
>>56139988
>>56139988
Your attitude is a result of corporate propaganda, thanks to which people are being brainwashed to forget that it's the company responsibility to train the employee after college.
Corporations will always lobby for colleges to teach technologies and skills that are particularly useful for their own interests, even if it doesn't make sense in the big picture (other anons explained pretty well why), because it's simply in their interest to shift the burden from them to someone else (in this case - colleges).
By definition, companies goal is to maximize their own profit, so no matter how little sense it makes they will always say to teach technology that will make them profit in the short run and not the science behind it that will benefit the employee in the long run.
>>
Man, this board even has /r9k/ beat when it comes to forever alone autists.

Your dirty dishrag single mother whore of a mom hunting for Alabama black snake at Applebee's must be so proud of little anon
>>
>>56143504
>being so proud to live in your mother's basement for the rest of your life
>>
>>56143652
>ad hominem
>>
>>56143578
holy shit that video

I may not be doing the exact course I want but at least I'm doing better than Louis
>>
File: 1452217764360.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1452217764360.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>>56142766
>>56142832
>Birm at first try
Literally the best modules for CS in comparison with every uni I checked. :^)
>>
>>56143983
Lucky you. :^)
>>
>>56139988
This is actually the exact problem most CS programmes have. Thankfully there are a few universities that teach non-shit things.

>RESTful, SOAP, Saas, SOA, ESB, etc. etc.
All memes

>They don't teach any enterprise methodology, technology stacks, etc
Certified Indian Degree (tm)
>>
Read this, OP:
http://matt.might.net/articles/what-cs-majors-should-know/
>>
>>56134092
>>mfw I'm a part of a vast alumni network who I can instantly connect with and talk about my school's sports teams, greek life, etc
lolwut
>>
>>56132217
>I refused to employ the next Sussman/Dijkstra/Stallman/Knuth because autismlol
>>
>>56143578
>we're not going to let you continue living like this because you've become feral

NEETs are not human.
>>
>>56144044
>obvious bait is obvious
>>
File: 2834017-ubermensch.jpg (27KB, 385x500px) Image search: [Google]
2834017-ubermensch.jpg
27KB, 385x500px
>>56144140
>pic related
>>
>>56143578
I wonder, do the parents not forcefully throw them out onto the street because they're afraid he'll kill himself?

neets usually plan on killing themselves before 30 anyway
>>
File: 1449306699219.png (128KB, 2569x603px) Image search: [Google]
1449306699219.png
128KB, 2569x603px
>>56143983
Here are the modules.
>>
Am I fucked /g/. i just started cs? I'll heed the advice of other anons and have side projects.
>>
File: 1471537364451.jpg (70KB, 960x952px) Image search: [Google]
1471537364451.jpg
70KB, 960x952px
>>56129067

what company took you on?

I am applying to a few places but nothing really seems that great

(Irish too btw, graduated with a 2.1)
>>
>>56144419
Holy fuck, if that's what passes as higher education in computer science field these days then I finally get why nobody respects it anymore.
Thread posts: 343
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.