[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi guys, I've just started seriously learning Java. Currently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Paulbern.jpg (9KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
Paulbern.jpg
9KB, 299x168px
Hi guys, I've just started seriously learning Java. Currently I'm doing it at home and while I work and have come to a realization that I need to work on projects in order to get a true understanding of languages. I get it while I'm doing the practice and reading the lessons but I to do it in a more free form way in order to retain it in my memory.

Can anyone recommend sites for basic tasks and projects one can do?
>>
>>56125890
>I've just started seriously learning Java

WTF is wrong with you?
>>
>>56125913
What's wrong with Java? I want to create apps for those Googlebucks to supplement my mediocre income.

And for something to do in my free time at work.
>>
>>56125913
He wants a job.
>>
>>56125890
Try Project Euler, it's mostly math problems and it starts easy and works up. You can do them in whatever language you want, it just tells you if you got the answer right.

Or if you're looking for bigger projects, I dunno, maybe look through the source of your favourite open-source Android app. (I haven't done this, don't know if it's worthwhile or just full of useless boilerplate.)
>>
>>56126152
Hmm. Looked at Euler. Looks promising. Is there a site that has problems or tasks that are less abstract? I can probably do this for most of the first page but after that it seems like an uphill battle on my end.....
>>
>>56126152
Doing both though. Just to see how far I can get.
>>
Apart from what anon suggested above, my recommendation is to try building some simple games from scratch like pong, a text based adventure, or something similar.
If nothing else they can keep you interested.
>>
>>56126991
Hmmm. That's my plan but at what level of learning is creating something as simple as Pong feasible? I just started to code 3 days ago. Based off books and mooci tutorial. Still on week 1 and trying to do all the exercises without looking back and based off memory. At what point in my knowledge is it feasible to create a game like pong?

Or is it something that I should just try to look up the source code for and copy by typing it out and seeing if I understand what each line of code is for?
>>
>>56127428
I taught a friend to make pong in pygame with no experience in a couple hours. Pong is stupid simple.
>>
>>56127428
Pick a goal and start working on it, look up something when you don't know and REMEMBER the answer to use in the future. It will be easier to retain something when you can specifically see what it is doing in your project
>>
>>56127897
>>56127910
Gotcha. Thanks alot guys!
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.