[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should the Atom line be terminated? I've owned two machines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 800px-Atom_logo_neu_01.jpg (60KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Atom_logo_neu_01.jpg
60KB, 800x600px
Should the Atom line be terminated? I've owned two machines (one with an Atom N470 and the other with an N450), and they're just terrible. They're only bearable with a light distro of Linux installed. Thoughts?

Also, what's your favorite Linux distro to put on an Atom machine?
>>
>Should the Atom line be terminated?

no, they're good for what they are for

I used a netbook for over a year, the only bad thing was when I started college I had horrible headaches from typing essays on the small screen, switched to a standard size laptop
>>
>>56120600
>>>/v/
>>
>>56120662
Do you know which cpu was in it and how much RAM it had?
>>
>>56120709
looks like I was wrong, it was a celeron netbook

still served me pretty well, I could even do very basic gaming on it
i just couldn't stand headaches anymore, I'll never understand how so many people on /g/ can use an x220 as their daily driver, and I have perfect 20-20
>>
>>56120751
I understand the feeling of the size, but it's so nice to have a full fledged personal computer (even with processing limitations) so portable. I picked up a Dell Mini 10 for $36 for the hell of it.
>>
>>56120790
Oh I totally understand that too, I loved being able to walk around with it wherever I wanted

for me though 14 inches is the sweet spot, love my T430, I just wish I would have grabbed a 1600x900 res model
>>
>>56120818
I've got an Asus K55A and I wish that little i5 could be packed into a 10.1 inch netbook. The portability and power would be so nice to take everywhere.
>>
>>56120600
> They're only bearable with a light distro of Linux installed.
No, they are actually still quite powerful machines that can run a lot of things, even if they aren't quite the monsters that bigger CPU are.

>>>/v/ is that way.
>>
>>56120866
They can hardly stream videos, and Windows 7/10 take up a lot of system resources. They are so sluggish. Good for typing, but that's about it. Some Atom processors are better than others, though.
>>
File: F-07c.jpg (66KB, 600x409px) Image search: [Google]
F-07c.jpg
66KB, 600x409px
>>56120600
No, Atom is finally coming onto its own now. They're great in small devices.
>>
maybe just change the branding
it might help change their image for idiots like you
>>
>>56120945
Yes, they can stream video and run Windows 10 and all that just fine.

Of course I disregard all the ancient Atoms. I mean what you can buy now.

Even works fine on my two Intel Atom generations old $110 shipped Chinese Pipo X7S that has been superseded by like three devices by this vendor alone.
>>
>>56121091
> vendor
I meant manufacturer, but whatever. Point is, you can easily get a better device at equal price at this point, with a newer and even more powerful Atom.

And yes, you probably want to order it somewhere in China if your market is as shit for these as it is here.
>>
>>56120600
My Atom tablet does just fine for web browsing, can easily play older games (I played C&C Generals and it ran beautifully) and can even play 1080p video just fine. It can even handle Hi10p 1080p decoding (tried a 15-20Mbps rip of Nausicaa) if you don't have shit running in the background and using too much CPU time. The CPU is basically almost as fast as my old 2.13GHz C2D laptop. That's way outdated now, but for light/general use a C2D is still decent in my eyes. The CPU is a Z3740.
>>
>>56120600
>I've owned two machines (one with an Atom N470 and the other with an N450
So you've tried two of them that were produced SIX YEARS ago and declared all of them, including the ones currently made, to be universally shit? You're an idiot.
>>56120945
>They can hardly stream videos
Again, someone who hasn't been paying attention. The atoms have been usable since the switch to four digit model numbers.
>>56120983
Fucking this.
>>
Aren't they supposed to be the cheapest shit Intel can make? No wonder they suck, anon.
>>
>>56121310
The decent atoms of the generation after that do H264 and H.265 at 4k and 60fps and shit like that.

They leave basically nothing to be desired for typical media playback and actually all the other tasks plebs do except gaymen.
>>
>>56121403
>H264 and H.265 at 4k and 60fps
Huh I didn't even know, I'll have to have a good look at them since if that works with Kodi it sounds absolutely ideal for a 4K future-proof HTPC. I'd love to replace my old and somewhat noisy laptop with something like that.
>>
Just bought a winblows 10 chinktablet with 4gb ram and an atom x5-z8300. It's actually bretty gud.
>>
I used an EEEPC with an N455, 1GB RAM, and a 20GB SSD for school. I was using Ubuntu 10.04 at the time, and it worked really well.
Intel Atoms with lightweight Linux distros are great.
>>
>>56123148
Z3735f here with windows 8.
Only 2GB ram but everything still runs great.
>>
>tfw bought a laptop with one of the first AMD APUs when they launched
>it's still very much usable
>E-350 master race
>>
>>56123177
The GPUs in the budget AMD APU line are surprisingly beefy. They make hardware acceleration in Windows 8+ really fast.
>>
>>56120600
atoms nowadays are pretty zippy for everyday use and media consumption. The atom growing pains are long over anon.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.