[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If one were to learn and eventually get involved in the pentesting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: kali-dragon-middle.png (967KB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
kali-dragon-middle.png
967KB, 1920x800px
If one were to learn and eventually get involved in the pentesting field, is this the go to OS?

Would it be counterproductive to use windows while trying to learn about pentesting? If so, why?

Also, could you use Ubuntu or other distros to do the tasks one would normally use kali for?
>>
You'll need some Windows boxes to practice on
>>
>use ubuntu of whatever instead
>end up having to manually install all the hacking tools that come prepackaged on Kali

you'd be wasting your time with anything else
>>
>>56119478
>actually believing you're going to learn fast enough that the time spent installing tools will even be relevant
>>
kali has all the tools installed by default, so it makes it significantly easier from a learning standpoint. when you get more experienced and realize what tools you rely on, you could setup a different OS with those tools. until then, just default to kali
>>
>>56119421
If you already have another Linux distro and you use it everyday and have it set up the way you like it, just download the tools that Kali has on an as-need basis.
>>
>>56119421
I'd use ArchStrike if I were you, Anon. More packages and more bleeding edge cuz it's not Debian-based.
>>
>>56121245
Why not blackarch?
>>
File: fdsvsgraa.jpg (213KB, 2880x1620px) Image search: [Google]
fdsvsgraa.jpg
213KB, 2880x1620px
>>56119421
if you dont already know networking, firewalls, basic security, and basic linux you will not be installing or using kali anytime soon.
i wouldnt worry about it.

go get your ccna
>>
>>56121291
what hes getting at op is that if you dont understand the process if what any of those tools are for then you are just a kiddie. Start with general networking and technology, once you have a firm foundation then they two go hand in hand.
>>
>>56121291
I'm your huckleberry, anon.
>>
>>56121291
>>56122011
this
>>
>>56119478
>ubuntu
dafuq kali is debian based, when you want to do this then use a fcking debian OS and install the packages there.

>don't use kali
... and never use it as root, there are to many processes and services who transfer and open to much holes in the fcking system

just stop pentesting it's a meme job. Learn Networking, IT Security and learn python to wrote your scripts self.
>>
>>56122143
i already know python .. what are some good books for Networking and IT Security?

Also, thanks for the advice, friends.
>>
>>56122294
Black hat pyton. Its pretty cheap on amazon
>>
>>56122351
thanks m8, i'll check it out

cheers
>>
>>56119421
Ask your mom, she tests my pen every night.
>>
Could someone give me an input how I get better results on Hashcat with WPA/WPA2 keys? I tried 200GB wordlists and now a mask (?u?l?l?l?l?l?d?d) but it takes 4 days to complete. Don't know how I could do better.
>>
>>56122821
hahaha wow good one bro! the boys over at reddit must have cracked up at that fire joke!! hahaha im dying over here bro .. top lulz hahah, oh man so funny .. dam!
>>
>>56122908
get better hardware. 200gb should take an hour if you have a decent gpu.
>>
>>56122931
Lel I thought so. I have a GTX 960 what reaches 100kH/s. What would be a decent GPU?
>>
>>56122908
>200GB
Oh shit nigger what are you doing? Curate a smaller fucking list and accept a higher failure rate as a tradeoff. Or get a much beefier multi-GPU setup.
>>
>>56122908
>>56122950
dafuq srsly what an autism fgt...
>>
>>56122960
I finished all lists. That was ok, but now I'm using masks but it takes forever.
This atm:
command: -a 3 -1 ?l?u ?u?l?l?l?l?l?d?d
keyspace: aaaaaa00 - Zzzzzz99
>>
File: carl.jpg (80KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
carl.jpg
80KB, 640x640px
>>56122921
> joke of a question
> joke of an answer

I think an analogy for this situation is like thinking you can beef up a crappy used car to be very fast and powerful without any knowledge of mechanics just because you know how to drive a car. You wouldn't ask this question unless you had never become accustomed to using GNU/Linux. The question demonstrated that you have no clue or you're trolling. The serious answer is it doesn't matter if you are given a car shop and every conceivable tool at your disposal if you can't even change your own oil.
>>
>>56123042
autism everybody
>>
fucking Mr Robot
>>
>>56122351

>Black hat pyton
>cheap on amazon

kek you faggot
>>
>>56122351
>python2
seriously hope

is there a non-outdated book for hackering on python
>>
>>56123244
youre a faggot
>>
>>56123042
It's easier to learn stuff when you have the right tools. Actually, I did pretty much what you pictured in your example with my car. I knew about computers, woodworking and electronics. Regarding cars I could change oil, tires and broken bulbs.
I did everything by myself like welding, replacing gearbox, fixing valves, etc

So I think one can learn to hack/pen-test with basic knowledge of networks, having used Linux for a few years a day not being a retard with the right tools
>>
>>56121259
ArchStrike is newer and contains more packages I believe.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.