[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of recording setup do you use /g/? My mic recently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: file.png (37KB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
37KB, 330x330px
What kind of recording setup do you use /g/?

My mic recently died and I'm looking for a replacement. Not sure if I should bother going XLR this time around because the extra desk/cable clutter doesn't seem worth the tiny audio differences.
>>
>>56117100
Mackie 1202 VLZ4 Mixer, Multicom PRO XL MDX4600, Heil PR-40 and a Scarlett 2i2
>>
Apollo 8p with U47 as a mic

Little overkill for talking to people on discord but I just use leftovers from the studio
>>
>>56117100
Steinberg UR22 mkII + old electric guitar + Novation Launchkey 61 + Blue Yeti + cheap XLR mic + Yamaha PSR 275 + Yamaha DGX 530
>>
>>56117100
Yes, you should get XLR. The difference is actually quite big.

You might want to start with a BM-800 from /csg/ for the mic itself, it's seriously quite good.
>>
blue meme
>>
>>56118193
I'm thinking about getting a Scarlett Solo. Not sure what kinda XLR mic, I was thinking maybe the AT2020 or AT2035 to go along with it. Any better suggestions? The BM-800 seems like I'd be going backwards no?
>>
>>56118252
Can vouch for the Steinberg UR22 mk II, it's awesome, I'm >>56118074
>>
>>56117100
I like field recorders with usb. Does indoor and outdoor well on batteries. Very versatile and low cost for what you get. Some have variable polar patterns as well. I just like the stereo pair.
>>
>>56117100
Depends on what you need out of it.
I use a AT2500 USB but I just use it to talk to people and for simple voice over shit.

If you want to buy better gear in the future go with an xlr mic, you can always upgrade later. It's also very useful if you do other types of recording and can make use of the mic
>>
File: DSC_0057_n.jpg (3MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0057_n.jpg
3MB, 3000x2000px
>>56117100
Blue Snowball. Not very happy with its default performance, as it picks up everything. Definitely needs a noise gate/filter.
>>
>AT2020 w/ behringer um2
Fell for the YouTube let's play meme snd lost interest 6 months later. That was years ago. Overkill af
>>
File: meaty.jpg (122KB, 700x1050px) Image search: [Google]
meaty.jpg
122KB, 700x1050px
shure sm7b + scarlet solo. Its good, wish I had more gain
>>
>>56119864
one thing I'm wondering about, how does stienberg compare to focusrite? My main irritation with focusrite's usb interfaces is how they crackle and pop or just cut out and start to stutter. This is so fucking annoying and I still have the problem with the new second gen. I process my mic through an effects chain in realtime for VoIP and gaymen so I dunno if I'm just using my shit wayyyy above what its intended to be used for
>>
Chink BM800 + some chink stand = 17$ total.

Then I use it with a scarlett 2i4, its awesome.
>>
>>56123586
>Using a $17 source with a $300 piece of recording equipment
Really?
>>
At2020 mic (not usb) on a boom.
Behringer XENYX q802 mixer
>>
just a little question: i bought a Neewer NW-700 and attached it to my xonar DGX. but it was way too quiet. There's no option for level in my drivers, what can i do without buying an extra audio interface
>>
>>56117100
blu icicle with a rode nt1-a.

What do you do that needs a high quality mic?
or do you just want it
>>
I bought an AT2020 XLR, and it picks up waaay too much. I bought it for like $150 or some shit, pretty expensive IMO
Then at a garage sale I bought a PG58 for $15 bucks. This thing is fucking beautiful, works perfectly, but... it's a little quiet. Needs more drive.
>>56125733
Not OP but I do amateur voice acting, and people online love hearing my sensual voice, so I got better equipment to make it even more sensual for them. :^)
>>
>>56125776
thats why i am asking, i do some podcasts and singing.
If op does something that needs higher quality go for it, but why spend hundreds of dollars to be sit on mumble/discord orso where no one even fucking cares that much aas long as the mic is clear
>>
>>56125805
Discord sucks for voice which is weird cause of what it is
I wish Mumble was still popular. But >gotta host your own server etc

Spending tons of money on something that you barely have a warranted use for is a part of /g/, dude. If it isn't snakeoil, it's actual good shit, but shit you don't need cluttering your house. Because hey, if you post a battlestation picture with your COOL GADGETS in the shot, you'll be instantly popular, right? :^)
>>
>>56125832
Yeah discords noise suppression is shit, and doesn't sound so great overall, it being so easy to use is what makes it stand out i guess.
Mumble is fucking dead sadly enough, i use it every single day tho.

people in /g/ buying expensive shit is like normies buying beats, in the long run they don't care what it sounds like but rather what their "friends" (not actual friends) think of them because of "look at me guise, i got dis 900 dollar mic+audio mixer setup" while all they do is play video games where you cant hear the difference ingame between a 50 dollar or a 600 dollar setup
>>
>>56125915
To be fair though, if you do get a good soundcard, DAC, and excellent headphones (I prefer sennheisers but other brands might be dece as well. Just as long as it's not gaymer headset shit) you'll feel a lot more... enjoying the game. That said, videogames are just for fun. If you wanna blow cash on fun, go right ahead. It's just the "look at me" part that you mentioned that's kind of ridiculous. When they grow up, they'll eventually sell it off on ebay or someshit, or hey, maybe they won't, maybe they'll continue hoarding tech stuff and eventually literally become Lain :^)

But I getchya, man.
>>
>>56125949
true true headphones are a whole different thing, i have a x11 and a q701 combo, and i can agree on that its a better investement, even though i'm probably buying cheaper ones if these break, more around the 100€ mark.
>>
>>56117100
for guitar and bass cabinets I usually use a shure sm57 hooked into a focusrite Scarlett 4i4.
Recently I'm having kinda fun recording with a super cheap neewer nw800 mic (phantom power required), I got some surprising results using two of them,20 bucks each, for acoustic guitars or pianos, like one facing the fretboard and one facing the bridge/soundhole
For serious recording, like drums, or vocals, we usually get some help from the studio run by friends. It's not worth investing in such expensive recording equipment
>>
>>56117100
Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40 + M-Audio Studiophile AV 40s + Sennheisser 558 + MXL 990 and 991.

I do music production and voice overs for my animation so I'm in need of a better mic. Going to get an AT 2035 next.
>>
>>56117100
look into the BM-800
Its a well doccumented cheap condenser mic
constantly meme'd about on /csg/
>>
>>56123393
In 100% of situations you should have a cloud lifter with a SM7
>>
>>56117941
Leftovers?
Which fucking studio do you work near? Abbey Road?
>>
>>56127856
Now I'm kinda wondering about this. That shit is a lot of money for 20db of clean gain. I have my shit setup to run through my daw with a compressor in realtime. This allows me to have the gain set lower so if I suddenly yell I don't get distortion. If I'm doing this then why would I need the extra gain? I know that the scarlett has a noise floor which gets a boost when I compress, does this give me an even larger signal to noise ratio for something like this?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.