[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OS X really is the best OS around and Macs are the best computers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10

File: desperation.png (22KB, 234x200px) Image search: [Google]
desperation.png
22KB, 234x200px
Long time macfag here... been using OSX&MBP for 6+ years now.

My MBP started dying from old age (it's 7 years old) and since I couldn't afford a new one, I decided to build a PC instead... with an older i5 and nvidia 1070. Kept the costs around ~$1000 or so.

I started off with Win7 because a friend gave me a license for it. Win7 looks like shit with all that extra chrome... plus it's dated as fuck. For the life of me, I couldn't get audio to work right and I could constantly hear pops & clicks. Apparently, Gigabyte knows about this but you need Win8+ to fix it. There's other OS issues with Win7... constant software inconsistencies that I didn't like.

So I plunged in and downloaded Win10. Win10 is marginally better. I like the modern look but it's beta software. Sleep doesn't even work well. My PC constantly wakes up when I put it to sleep. Command line is marginally better than Win7 (you can copy&paste easily) but it's total shit when it comes to POSIX. No Quicklook, search is barely usable, File Explorer is shit and I'm still amazed how MS can't copy Finder.

So I decided to dual-boot with Linux. Installed Mint. Initially it was OK (it looked nice) but it's just completely inconsistent and amateurish. I've tried to set it so I can use my mouse wheel for "Natural Scrolling" but even that's inconsistent: works in Firefox and few other apps, doesn't work in any of the Mint/Cinnamon GUIs.

I'm also yet to find a good PC keyboard (Magic Keyboard is still unsurpassed) & a good mouse as well (none of that fucking 1990s wheel shit).

All in all, I regret buying a PC :( With all the Apple's failings, everything just works and it's miles ahead. I'm now stuck with all you plebs in PC world... at least for year.

Any keyboard/mouse advice?

tl;dr: PC world is a giant fucking mess: HW barely works and the OSes are all fucking garbage. OSX is like a decade ahead. I regret my decision. :(
>>
Should have installed gentoo.
>>
>>56115320
>Should have installed gentoo.
And what would I gain exactly? It would still behave inconsistently.
>>
>>56115347
>It would still behave inconsistently.
How do you know?
>>
>>56115158
>No Quicklook, search is barely usable, File Explorer is shit and I'm still amazed how MS can't copy Finder.
You do realize you can get programs that improve the system's functionality? Yeah, it's not the same as if it were just integrated, but still, install Seer and bam! - you have quicklook again.
There are also a myriad of file explorers and search engines like Search Everything.

>Any keyboard/mouse advice?
Depends on what you want from a keyboard and mouse. If it's mainly for productivity use, a mechanical KB like Das Keyboard 4 Pro and Logitech MX Master are a wonderful combo, albeit pricy.
>>
>>56115363
>How do you know?
Because it too uses the same libraries.

>>56115520
>Seer
Thanks! Will give it a try. I've also tried Classic Shell but it's still shit.

>>56115520
>Search Everything
Thanks again.

>>56115520
>If it's mainly for productivity use, a mechanical KB like Das Keyboard 4 Pro and Logitech MX Master are a wonderful combo, albeit pricy.
No, I don't want typewriter-style crap. I have clickety keyboard right now and my fingertips hurt. I want something like Magic Keyboard but for a PC. Light strokes and very low to the desk.
>>
>>56115606
In that case maybe try the Microsoft Designer wireless keyboard & mouse kit, the board is a rip off the Mac keyboard but with a number pad, making it something between the wireless and pro Mac KBs.
>>
>>56115755
There is also the Logitech K780 which has a funky design with round keycaps but comes with an integrated phone/tablet stand behind the board.
>>
>>56115755
Is this the one?

https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/keyboards/designer-bluetooth-desktop/7n9-00001

I'd like to try it out somewhere before dropping $100 on a keyboard & a mouse... does BestBuy carry them?

>>56115819
>Logitech K780
Thanks. I've seen it at WalMart. But I'd like to try it out first as well because IIRC it cost >$60.
>>
>>56115158
>Looks
Are you a hairdresser, or an interior decorator?
>>
Windows 7 user here. Don't have good hardware for Windows 10 but i have used it. Best version of Windows yet i'd say.

But it's not as polished as OS X. I've been using El Capitan and it's clearly a more mature and stable OS than Windows. I wouldnt use it myself, but it's a better OS.

Plain and simple =(
>>
>>56115886
so you dont care what your OS & apps look like? get real nigga.
>>
>>56115158
>macs are the best computers

Throttling hardware with low performance and """" desktops"""" with laptop parts is good by any means.
>>
>>56115929
>is
Aren't*
>>
>>56115903
Nope, I mainly use OS X from the terminal as it was intended.
>>
>>56115158
OS X is pretty fool proof.

If you are a fool, it's great.

If you aren't a fool, you can get a lot more out of Windows or Linux.
>>
>>56115862
Yes. For what it's worth, Apple sells the MKB for $100 alone, and another $80 for the Magic Mouse, so it's not an outrageous price.
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 312x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 312x250px
>>56115989
>>56116007
>>56116020
>>56116042
>>56116065
>>56116077

Every word you have posted is now a week you will go without sex.
>>
File: 1463704023373.jpg (138KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1463704023373.jpg
138KB, 1280x720px
>>56116100
>Every word you have posted is now a week you will go without sex with men

Fixed that for you.
>>
>>56116108
>>56116147
Wow, you sure are easy to ruse:
>>56114841
lurk more
>>
>>56115158
>OSX
>Decade Ahead
>>
>>56115158
tl;dr

I'll give you some reasons that macs are shit like you, though.

1) thin pieces of shit. They have terrible parts, essentially they're just overpriced cell phones in regards to parts to make up for size

2)In relation to size, they're barren. There aren't even disk drives anymore.

3)OSX is terribly inefficient. Yes, I know, some OS's don't look nice, but something like Ubuntu will be 10x better than osx if you want to be productive and use your hardware fully.

4)Price. A Macbook Pro from 2015 is priced between $1350-$3050. I'll tell you why that's idiotic. As I said, terrible parts compared to PCs. Along with that, no disk drive. In my case, I got an HP PC which i tri-booted with ubuntu, kali and windows 10 for $450 after tax and it has much nicer parts than a mac.

The only reason people like apple is because of the brand.
>>
>>56115347
That's either because you got a shit distro or a shit computer.

Install Debian if you want Linux that "just works" consistently.
>>
OS X is by far the worst operating system I've used. The laptops are nice, but ring me when they have decent Linux support.
>>
>>56116202
>debian
>works

If you can get the elusive firware it's great. I'd go with kali seeing as it's just debian with nicer default packages and a custom version of gnome. Plus kali works with both ubuntu and debian packages.
>>
>>56115996
Just plainly false and pretentious
>>
>>56116242
>rage quitting during an os install

doesnt that fuck with the drive long-term anyway
>>
>>56115996
>If you aren't a fool, you can get a lot more out of Windows or Linux.
Explain. I used to think that, but it's total fucking bullshit.

In one week of my PC use, I've wasted so much fuckign time trying to get shit to work. And it still doesnt work well. My Win10 still won't sleep properly. After I send it to sleep, it wakes up a minute later. I've tried every "solution" known to Google and I still can't fix it. The audio is the same... I still hear occasional click.

My biggest gripe is how shitty Win10/Linux is when you navigate & use GUI with a keyboard. You'd think that Win10 would be miles ahead of OSX when it comes to keyboard navigation, file manipulation and so on... but you'd be seriously wrong.

But anyway, I'm now stuck with this fucking PC. At least I can now run gaymes and other GPU-intensive shit.
>>
>>56116241
I agree, though a lot of default Kali packages will be useful if you're not pentesting.
>>
>>56116242
FWIW, I'm a CS grad student. I can outprogram you any day of the week. I develop ML software for my grad thesis. Building PCs is a waste of fucking time and I know how to use them.

My issue is that PC OSes are years behind OSX when it comes to usability. Nothing works really well.
>>
>>56116287
>MactoddlerOS
yet it does everything way better than your adultOS. your adultOS is like a decade behind.

Linux is great for servers but on a desktop, it's a fucking joke. Win10 runs circles around any Linux distro.
>>
>>56116293
no, a lot of them aren't I admit. But a bunch of useless packages are better than a million missing packages you need. Plus it comes with all that firmware and gnome tweaker.

I just got off ubuntu so I'm generally in love with kali right now.
>>
>>56115158
Same. But I've never owned an Intel Mac, I've just installed OS X on my computer, hardware support for some parts turned out better than linux's.
Also try Kde with all qt apps, they say it's good
>>
And one more thing... I wasted like 5 hrs trying to quiet down the fans. Even though Gigabyte mobo documentation says you can slow them down with PWM, it's a total lie.

I had to buy a fucking resistor, cut a wire and solder it to quiet down the fucking chassis fan.

PCs are a HUGE waste of time & effort.
>>
>>56116326
>Win10 runs circles around any Linux distro.
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT!
>>
File: shitteir.jpg (72KB, 770x664px) Image search: [Google]
shitteir.jpg
72KB, 770x664px
>>56115158
>he fell for the Linux mint meme
>>
Sounds to me like someone cast some sort of evil spell on you. Your issues are very odd and not specific to each particular OS.
>>
File: amused.png (55KB, 151x157px) Image search: [Google]
amused.png
55KB, 151x157px
>>56116360
>>
>>56116339
>zero arguments, 100% shitposting
PCtards everyone.
>>
>PC won't sleep
Update it. I had Windows 10 and that a simple -lastwake told me what the issue was; Microsoft's intrusive updater was waking my PC from sleep in an attempt to update it. It did this despite going into the appropriate settings and turning it off. Attempting to end the process causing the issue simply bluescreens the OS. Truly a masterpiece.
>>
>>56116389
>>56116412
>>56116422
I see I've triggered you hard given the amount of butthurt posts you're exhibiting. LMAO... I love all these apple haters... they're so fucking stupid & defensive.
>>
>but it's total shit when it comes to POSIX

No shit. It's Windows. The windows command prompt gives zero shits about compatibility with Unix. Hell, applel only wanted developer money, that's why the OS X command line is POSIX compliant. Kind of hard to lie and call your OS Unix without doing so. You know, the OS built on a kernel that is called "XNU is Not Unix"?
>>
>>56116445
wish I could, but I'm stuck with you poor ppl now and have to use this clunky shit that barely works.
>>
can you give a single fact about why os x isn't the best os?
>>
>>56115158
OS X used to be the best. Now it's more of a sharing platform than an OS to get shit done with.
>>
>>56116455
thanks! I'll give that a try.

One more thing... is Ubuntu base worth it under Win10? At least Win10 is more consistent than Linux so I'd like to standardize on it... my biggest grip is lack of a good terminal and POSIX.
>>
>>56116465
does Unix imply kernel? Is debian/kfreebsd Unix(BSD)?
>>
>>56115158
>being a macfag
>try to use windows
>blame unfamiliar software and familiar hardware
why didn't you build a HACKintosh? you dumb fuck, Apple is using mostly of the shelf hardware for so long now (custom PCBs that is)
>>
>>56116488
you're wrong. even with all the failings and faggot CEO and SJW pushing and "diversity" bullshit, it's still the best OS. no doubt about it. even a 4 year old OS X 10.8 is better than Win10. I say this honestly... having used both.
>>
>>56115158
>My PC constantly wakes up when I put it to sleep.
I have had this problem and I hate it. I recently found and turned on a Deep S4 state option in BIOS and it hasn't woken on its own since then, so maybe that has fixed it. It's pretty fucking bad when you put your computer to sleep before going out for the day and you come home to find it turned itself on and was just sitting at login screen for fucking hours.
>>
>>56116523
>>blame unfamiliar software and familiar hardware

I've tried various software. I've learned a ton of Win10 keyboard shortcuts. It still fuckign sucks when compared to OSX. And don't even get me started on HW... it's so fucking shoddy even if you buy good brand names.

>why didn't you build a HACKintosh? you dumb fuck, Apple is using mostly of the shelf hardware for so long now (custom PCBs that is)
Hackintoshes barely work. Don't wanna waste time on unsupported shit. Plus nvidia driver doesn't exist.
>>
>>56116523
hackintosh's are generally unreliable and are missing firmware. anyone who wants to ruin a perfectly good computer with osx is an idiot in my books.
>>
>>56116555
I've wasted hours trying various BIOS options to fix sleep under Win10 and audio... and none of the "solutions" I found through Google have worked. I sent an email to Gigabyte and they told me to contact MS. LOL They're just shifting blame around.
>>
>>56116617
>bullshit post
whatever this guyswitched to, I fucking guarantee you it's way, WAY worse than OSX.
>>
>>56116685
go away troll. all you do is hurl insults. if you want to show the superiority of your OS/PC, at least fix its problems. PCs are a fucking joke.
>>
Windows: (>>>/v/)
OS X: toddler
Linux: cuck
BSD: more than cuck or faggot

computers are for retards
if you use 4chan, kill yourself.
>>
>>56116662
I am pretty sure it is something of Microsoft's fault. One thing you can do is use the powercfg -lastwake command to find out what woke your computer.

In my case a USB3 device was waking my computer even though I had no devices plugged into the USB3 ports. Whether that means it was a driver issue or a fault with the BIOS/chipset I dunno but it was bullshit.
>>
>>56116190
>trying to use logic with a mac user

don't even try, anon. he wont get it.
>>
>>56116590
>I've learned a ton of Win10 keyboard shortcuts. It still fuckign sucks when compared to OSX
that's the was my point on why to use a hackintosh, if you want you use a DIFFERENT system you need to learn it from scratch
>Hackintoshes barely work. Don't wanna waste time on unsupported shit
there is a list of hardware on most famous hackintosh sites e.g. http://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/august/2016
you didn't bother to search dipshit
>>
>>56116590
nvidia driver is the only [3rd party gpu] driver that exists for os x
-- sent from my nvidia hackintosh
>>
File: cant sleep.jpg (51KB, 691x483px) Image search: [Google]
cant sleep.jpg
51KB, 691x483px
>>56116817
>powercfg -lastwake
Thanks anon! This is the output. All I have plugged in that's USB is my keyboard and the mouse. It just wakes up 1-2sec after putting it to sleep.

>>56116923
>you didn't bother to search dipshit
I sure did you dumbfuck. There is no nvidia 1080 driver for OSX. go fucking find it and earn $100 from me right now.\

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-1070.192399/

>>56116878
>still zero arguments
your life must be shit when all you're wasting your life away trying to troll ppl on a mongolian picture board. stay mad.
>>
>>56116970
>le command prompt is the same as a linux terminal meme

:^)
>>
>>56117006
>>56117029
>still no arguments
try to get some anti-depression meds anon. I'm not even joking... you need some serious help. so long... wont bother replying to your trolls anymore.
>>
>>56117045
I don't have an arguement, all I've done is pointed out your shitty image and the fact that the other anon was being logical but this is basically a meme thread.
>>
>>56116970
>buying things before searching
you ARE the dumpfuck, either wait for drivers or get a listed 980 ti
>>
>>56117006
>>56117029
>>56117065
>>56117066

Mental illness everyone. Don't be this guy. If you lose it like him, seek professional help.
>>
>>56117077
>you ARE the dumpfuck, either wait for drivers or get a listed 980 ti
I see your shit OS can't even spell check for you. Kek. anyway, you seem too fucking stupid. I NEED 1080 because I don't use it for gayming but for machine learning. Not using a 1080 is a non-starter for me. I have to use it to guarantee compatibility with software that I'm using. Not to mention that 1080 is much faster than old 980Ti for applications that I need a GPU for.
>>
>>56117116
my shit os have drivers unlike macfag os and if you're so smart why don't YOU write drivers by yourself oh wait you CAN'T
>>
>>56117226
>my shit os have drivers unlike macfag os and if you're so smart why don't YOU write drivers by yourself oh wait you CAN'T
I'm sorry, but what's your fucking point? I use Win10 now. It's still shit but it has the driver I need. My argument was that I didn't want a Hackintosh for that reason but you're too stupid to grok it.
>>
>>56116301
>PC OSes are years behind OSX
OS X doesn't even have a package manager which Linux distros have had for decades, what the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>56115903
>he cares what his GUI looks like
as long as the colors aren't harsh and the layout is intuitive I give no fucks about anything else
>>
>>56116360
>I had to buy a fucking resistor, cut a wire and solder it to quiet down the fucking chassis fan.
Can we see a pic? This is somewhat hard to believe.
>>
>>56115158

ITT: After telling us all how superior Windows is, Winfags ridicule a user that tries it and finds problems.

Well done, gentlemen.
>>
>>56117358
>OS X doesn't even have a package manager which Linux distros have had for decades, what the fuck are you on about?
you're fucking clueless. OSX has not one but 3 diff package manages that you can pick from. all 3 work really well.

>>56117392
no, I care how it behaves. my problem with Linux is that it's way too inconsistent. Win10 is better but still doesn't work as well as OS X. But Win10 is years ahead of Linux. Unfortunately.

>>56117420
>This is somewhat hard to believe.
sorry, don't wanna shut down right now and open up the case. but trust me, it's impossible to slow down a 3-pin chassis fan no matter what your MoBo's manual says. Gigabyte are straight out lying. You need a 4-pin connector fan but most mobo's don't have it.
>>
>>56116007
>but muh 'palestine', muh abortion

back to /r/worldnews with you, bb
>>
>>56116970
Go into Device Manager, go to keyboards and mice, go into Properties for every device and go to the Power Management tab and make sure Allow this device to wake the computer is unchecked.
Then check everything in the Human Interface Device list as well.
>>
>>56117755
Ok, but how do you suggest I then wake up the sleeping computer? With a reset button?

BTW, I've tried plugging mouse/keyboard into every USB port available but it makes no diff... it still wakes up few seconds after putting it to sleep.
>>
File: 1451960682235.jpg (110KB, 1024x569px) Image search: [Google]
1451960682235.jpg
110KB, 1024x569px
>>56115158

Make a hackintosh, retard!
>>
>>56117809
>With a reset button?
Power button usually does it.
>>
>>56118008

>osx
>implying I'm not using Windows

Fuck off, freetard!
>>
>>56117994
no pascal drivers. so it's useless to me.

>>56118025
hmm.. OK. I wish I could get it to work with a keyboard/mouse. something's seriously fucked with Gigabyte/MS if they can't get this shit working right.
>>
File: medium.jpg (8KB, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
medium.jpg
8KB, 64x64px
>>56115158
Never change, /g/.
>>
>>56121492
Man am I ever looking forward to middle school starting back up so you'll stop posting.
>>
>>56115158
>Long time macfag here... been using OSX&MBP for 6+ years now.

FUCK OFF IF YOU HAVE NEVER USED MAC PRE OS9 YOU ARE NOT A LONG TIME MAC FAG

IF YOU ONLY STARTED USING MACS AFTER THEY MOVED TO INTEL THEN YOU ARE A LITERAL HIPSTER
>>
File: 1440982919845.jpg (94KB, 970x1356px) Image search: [Google]
1440982919845.jpg
94KB, 970x1356px
>>56121544
>mac
Spotted the hipster.
>>
>>56115158
>dying
>7 years
woah pal shoulda bought a thinkpad
>>
>>56115158
custom WASD keyboard and logitech MX performance
basically the best there is
>>
>My MBP started dying from old age (it's 7 years old)

Almost didn't make it that far but that's where I stopped reading. I have a much older laptop, runs Windows 7 just fucking fine and it runs OSX Snow Lion as well, probably better than your "old ass 7 year old MBP" you stupid fucking person.

>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all
>>
>>56121626
>>56121644
#SHREKT
>>
Not gonna read anything in this thread, but I don't think that Macs or Macbooks are able to perform nearly as well as PCs that are the same price.

Apple's marketing is just fantastic. This doesn't go to say that Macbooks aren't beautiful machines, but the price to performance ratio is something that can easily be overlooked and largely ignored by the average consumer who is far more interested in buying the latest, most favored machine on the market.

That aside, I can't wait until I have enough saved to get my hands on a Macbook Pro with Retina. Of course I'm going to buy it used from someone that is upgrading. I want to be able to use OS X, Linux, and Windows on one machine so I can get to know the entire range of machines. Likely going to be working helpdesk for a year or two out of college and that variety is necessary.
>>
>>56121915
>he doesn't have a t420 that already runs all 3 perfectly
>>
File: mineta-smug.png (56KB, 250x232px) Image search: [Google]
mineta-smug.png
56KB, 250x232px
>>56115320
/thread
>>56115347
Not if you weren't technologically illiterate
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.