[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the point of the windows lock screen if it doesn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: vulnerability_617px.png (209KB, 617x315px) Image search: [Google]
vulnerability_617px.png
209KB, 617x315px
What is the point of the windows lock screen if it doesn't even give you the option of encrypting all the files in the partition the lock screen is "protecting"? Anybody can use a live boot usb to boot up into any *nix OS, mount your windows partition and have access to all your files. Will winfags actually defend this?
>>
>what is BitLocker
>>
>>56112856
It's a simple solution for getting up from your desk for 10 minutes and locking the physical interface of the computer so people around you can't snoop/look/fuck with it

You don't use it as some kind of actual security measure, just a means of convenience. Most people don't know, or don't want to bother bypassing it.
>>
>>56112948

i mainly use actually not to protect my files, but to protect whatever i was doing. my main thing is to prevent ppl from fuckioing around rly
>>
>>56112921
Do you know? Because you can't encrypt the partition your windows os boots up on with bitlocker.
>>
>>56112856
Doesn't the same apply to everyone who doesn't encrypt his partitions in a Linux installation?
I just finished my encrypted Debian installation, this is my first post.
>>
>>56112856
What's the point of locks on your bedroom door when anyone can just pull out a powersaw or handheld battering ram and easily just tear down your door?
>>
>>56112963
Yes you can.
>>
File: 1442478350700.png (21KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1442478350700.png
21KB, 960x540px
>>56112856
It's for defense against normies and children. It's not intended to be secure, it's intended to be convenient.

or if that's not greentext enough for you,
>windows
>security
>shiggiest of diggies
>>
What's the point in condoms if your parents would break it and deal with the mistake of having you?
>>
File: 1469420468374.jpg (43KB, 570x587px) Image search: [Google]
1469420468374.jpg
43KB, 570x587px
>>56113056
No you can't you idiot lol, bitlocker resides on the same partition you want to encrypt.
>>
>>56113039
Because a powersaw is loud enough to give me enough time to reach under my bed and get my gun and shoot the nigger trying to steal my computer.
>>
>>56112856

Fucking retard.
How about you try that on a machine with a Pass Protected BIOS and USB and Optical disk boot disabled?
How fucking stupid are you?

Nice thread though.
>>
>>56113421

B-b-b-b-but <insert inane what if comment here>
>>
>>56113421
>>56113504
If an attacker has unsupervised physical access you've practically already lost
DMA attacks or merely removing the hard drive and cloning it are both feasible
inb4 this somehow qualifies as an inane comment
>>
>>56113550
And before you nitpick, the former also applies with disk encryption as you can just dump the encryption keys from memory, unless you use TRESOR or whatever
>>
>>56112921
Something that almost nobody uses, and most Windows users haven't heard about.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.