[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to repurpose my Nexus 5 as a "desktop" now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

I want to repurpose my Nexus 5 as a "desktop" now that I've upgraded.

I've found these launchers that make it more like a desktop. Are there any better alternatives?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andromium.os

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.m_lang.leena

If these are too limited in functionality, how can I replace android with something like Ubuntu mate?
But android does have the benefit of larger software variety.
>>
Also anything to look out for with the slimport adapter?
>>
Bump?
>>
Floating apps is pretty good check that out.
>>
>>56104614
Looks interesting, thanks
>>
>>56104657
Not a prob...I use an android device as a laptop. And I've messed around with it as a desktop OS. Any questions go for it.
>>
>>56104672
What launcher do you use? Do you use an external screen?

What device?

Thanks btw, I appreciate it
>>
No launcher just stock Android.
Mostly I use an :-P slatebook x2 but used my moto x for a while with a miracast display.

The thing is android has mouse and keyboard support baked in already (unlike ios) so using it as a desktop is frankly easy. There really isn't a lot to it. Just use floating apps for most muti window tasks...other shit like emulators and games and such you'll want full screen anyway.

Aside from that it accepts most usb devices as is...though a USB OTG cable is always a wise move. When my moto x desktop was up I used a cheap Bluetooth keyboard with trackpad...a Xbox controller and a external western digital hdd for media storage.

There are actually several docking station made just for this purpose that give a HDMI or div port and a couple of USB ports. Its enough to get by day to day.
>>
>>56105097
Anything like this with slimport?
>>
There is a ROM which turns into a Debian when connected to a display via skimpier, I think it's called Maru OS
>>
Look...the easiest way to the the 'one device that does everything' is with a Samsung galaxy phone (i hate to say it honestly) because Samsung themselves make the best docks for this kinda shit. And it's basically plug and play.

Floating apps is a must in my opinion.

>>56105158
I wasn't even aware of slim port honestly. Its been awhile since I've done this but yeah that's exactly the kind of dick you want.

Now some phones aren't compatible with the HDMI over the connector port (my moto x wasn't hence why I used miracast...which sucked). But either way check the INDIVIDUAL phone for compatibility.

Also they make a few android all in one desktops if you're interested. My wife has a Lenovo one that's actually pretty awesome.
>>
>>56105215
Kind of DOCK you want...phone autocorrect to dick haha...that's priceless...
>>
>>56105158
But yeah if that works with the LG v10 I may get one myself.
>>
>>56105215
How about a miracast dongle?
My monitor is dvi only, no hdmi, will it work with an adapter?
>>
>>56105316
Yeah...if your phone supports miracast.

Really just about every phone supports some way to display on a separate screen...but it's hardly standardized as far as I'm aware.
>>
Just get MaruOs, which does this better. It has a full debian installation.
>>
>>56105785
frankly id be inclined to disagree. Unless he wants to go full on hobbyist i'd never recommend a linux distro when android already works fine with less complication. What we're discussing already is pretty far out compared to normal usage but adding linux to anything is a HUGE time sink.

unless there already a linux-fag then hey knock yourself out.
>>
>>56105891
Android does have a much wider selection of applications
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.