[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In this day and age is there any real reason to not use virtual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 176619.png (240KB, 615x625px) Image search: [Google]
176619.png
240KB, 615x625px
In this day and age is there any real reason to not use virtual machines for everything? There are so many benefits to using a virtual machine over installing an OS raw.

Just for example need to clone that OS accross multiple machines? Easy as fuck for VMs. Doing it normally without VMs would take days tho to reinstall and setup.
>>
>>56102552
You can't even clone VirtualBox machines without fiddling in configs.
>>
File: 1471134199156.gif (964KB, 465x295px) Image search: [Google]
1471134199156.gif
964KB, 465x295px
>>56102552
I fucking hate when people like you call for software support. Cloning VMs breaks pervasive psql licensing because the license ties to hardware.
>>
File: 1327280517272.png (56KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
1327280517272.png
56KB, 251x251px
>>56102886
>using drmed software
>>
>>56102729
Hyper-v, KVM

>>56102729
>licenses
>>
My hardware's not bad (sandybridge i7, 8gb ram), but it still seems to run sluggishly. I'm a normie running Windows 10 in a virtual machine on Arch. Just started playing with virtualbox two days ago. It's serving it's purpose. I use it for excel and Google drive syncing, but I couldn't imagine running anything intense in it
>>
>>56102552
>In this day and age is there any real reason to not use virtual machines for everything?

Yes, it requires powerful hardware which isn't easily accessible to most people.
>>
>>56103137
Wrong. Most machines can handle this fine now. Virtualization extensions are in most chipsets and the hardware overhead for virtualization is small.

Of course huge sized deployments still require dem enterprise extensions that are only in good Goy chipsets, but running enough VM that you have more than you can interact with is now consumer-tier.

>>56102552
The thing is, we can't virtualize some hardware well enough. GPU for instance.

You should also know that you still need SOME OS for a lot of things, and that's actually the typical end user need. One OS.

Lastly, you should know that for actual distributed scaleable do everything anywhere in any size deployments, you kinda also want the programs and their data to "float" around, and that's more the "object container" approach like Docker takes it than full VMs, which ultimately still just too coarse all-in-one not modular enough packages for a lot of uses.

But that shit -while theoretically very interesting- is all not consumer friendly enough.

Yep, many of us would like our photo coolection part a) automatically backed up and checksum verified at all times on at least four devices (don't care which in general) for data safety reasons, plus have it available on your laptop and smartphone to show them around. No less so than companies want that for their databases or various accounting files or whatever.

But it's entirely not end user friendly in terms of software, and just about everyone tries to peddle this as a service managed by THEM on THEIR hardware only.
>>
>>56102552
Worse performance compared to native OSes
>>
>>56103021
>Hyper-v, KVM
On a normal windows 7/10 installation?
>>
>>56102911
Normies don't have a choice. Also there are no drm free accounting solutions.
>>
>>56102552
Muh 144hz doesn't work in virtual machines
>>
>>56106336
But y
>>
I ran a windows VM, passed a GPU to it played some games, worked well except for sluggish mouse movements in some games. Tried various things for a couple of days, reformatted to Windows again. Now I can't be arsed to play anything.. Endless cycle of switching back and forth.
>>
>>56103085
try this
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3lno0t/gpu_passthrough_revisited_an_updated_guide_on_how/
It allows you to directly pass a GPU to a VM which enables you to use this GPU with a performance hit of under 5% compared to non VM access.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.