[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can any of you give me the tl;dr for the different types of databases?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: database.png (28KB, 460x200px) Image search: [Google]
database.png
28KB, 460x200px
Can any of you give me the tl;dr for the different types of databases? I've used them all in class projects before, but I honestly couldn't point out the best use case for each of them.

This isn't a homework question, I'm working on a personal project and don't know what to use. The database would eventually have over 500,000 entries, but I want search box autocompletion for them...

>MySQL - General/long term on disk information storage? Slow right? Can be made fast?
>MongoDB - Faster? Cached or something?
>Redis - Super fast, in memory right? Built on demand?
>Postgre - no idea
>others?
>>
>>56096606
Different types for different ACID wants

Also, mongo and Redis aren't even in the same category as MySQL and postgres
>>
Pic looks like tuna cans
>>
postgre is the best
it's the fastest, it's free, and it's got the most features
>>
>>56096606
>not using ENTERPRISE QUALITY Oracle Database
>>
>>56096606
Just use PostgreSQL if you don't know which one to use.

If you need schema-less, try RethinkDB (it's one of the few NoSQL database that won't lose data left and right).

Please, never ever use the absolute garbage that is MongoDB. It __silently__ loses data, it doesn't even tell you it lost data when it does (which is often).
>>
>mfw i entered a company and the project has hundreds of pages long procedures in sql server for over a hundred tables and some more views and shit. Nothing is documented.

my face is gone
>>
>>56096768
>nothing is documented

You should seek another job if possible.

You aren't going to learn anything there if their process is that shit.
>>
>>56096789
but it's agile.
>>
>>56096768
This is the norm

>>56096789
I don't think you work in industry, go back to your burgers
>>
>>56096768
This, for Oracle. I was working at a university too...

>>56096789
Have you ever worked at a tech company smaller than Facebook? Technical Debt is greater than student loan debt in the country.
>>
>>56096828
No, not documenting long stored procedures is not the norm.

It's only done by shit-tier in-house teams, the same people fucking up everything and shutting down your online banking access for hours every couple months.
>>
>>56096768
Protip: nobody in the real world bothers with documentation. You just hire people to create the program and maintain it until it can't be maintained any longer, then you fire them and restart from scratch with a completely new version. Microsoft, Apple, Sony, all do this.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.