[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help before my computer blows up or something. >Smell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1412647048307.png (626KB, 763x572px) Image search: [Google]
1412647048307.png
626KB, 763x572px
Need help before my computer blows up or something.

>Smell something burning from the other room
>Go in my room, the smell is strong
>Smell is coming from my computer
>Fans are loudest they've ever been
>"Oh shit my PC is overheating"
>I check my thermometers through speccy
>None of them are hot

What does this mean?
>>
Ignore it
>>
PSU is oberheating. Replace it.
>>
File: nervous.jpg (7KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
nervous.jpg
7KB, 231x218px
>>56084963
Frustrating because I have a fairly new PSU that's pretty overkill (Corsair 700 something W's)

I had it running for a bit, when to get a drink, and when I came back it was shut off. Now I can't turn it on. It's not perm dead or anything right?
>>
>>56085169
No, it's obviously temporarily dead. Moron.
>>
>>56085196
Look I suck ass at computers alright

If I replace the PSU it should be fine right?
>>
>>56085169
This doesn't sound like a PSU problem at all. It could be, but it's no more likely than any other possible cause.
>>
>>56085213
The PSU is just a box that takes wall electricity and converts it into computer electricity, so to speak

[If] you get a new box and it was just the PSU that fried, everything will still work
>>
>>56085231
I turned it off and the PSU was the only thing that was pretty warm to the touch. Someone said that I should maybe replace my heatsink, but it didn't feel warm at all.
>>
>>56085286
That doesn't really mean anything. If you want to find out whether it's the PSU that is broken, disconnect the PSU from everything and test it independently.
>>
>>56085313
I don't have a multimeter or any wire to test

Can I just use a paperclip to connect the green/black pin?
>>
>>56085441
Yup. But make sure the PSU is not connected to anything in your computer first. (It needs mains power, of course.)
>>
>>56085455
Okay well I just tried to turn the whole PC on again to double check, and it turned on.. so it was just temporarily dead

Should I just keep it turned off and take it in somewhere tomorrow?
>>
>>56085516
I would suggest so, yes, unless you want to do the error-prone fault isolating thing yourself (in which case you wouldn't be asking here, I presume).
>>
>>56085600
I don't think there would be a point to checking the power supply now that I'm able to turn the whole thing on (because if it wasn't working I wouldn't be able to turn the computer on right)?
>>
>>56085634
Yup.
>>
>>56085671
Guess maybe I do need to replace the heatsink in then.

I'll take it in somewhere tomorrow and see what they think
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.