[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Blackberry go full retard? They are making a so call

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: photo.jpg (7KB, 395x397px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
7KB, 395x397px
Why did Blackberry go full retard? They are making a so called secure phone for normies. I don't get the idea behind this marketing strategy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUsa686CwZ8
>>
>tfw I'm the only person in the world with a PRIV

I am single handedly keeping the Canadian economy afloat
>>
>Tfw have BlackBerry Passport and I really like it
>there will never be a sequel to the silver passport
whatsapp is dropping support unfortunately

But the keyboard is ace
>>
>it's a rebranded alcatel idol 4
Blackberry's dead.
>>
>>56081465
I bought a Priv for less than half the price and so far I love it. The DTK50 is a cheaper android Blackberry for normies and companies. Yes it is a rebranded Alcatel, but it is actually a good phone with great speakers. Just wait for a price drop to $250.
>>
I love the secure phone meme
>>
File: 1467511087177.jpg (214KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1467511087177.jpg
214KB, 1280x853px
>>56081836
would use for a work phone
>>
>>56081465
>Steve Jobs coming for their asses
>one founder fucks off to rub dicks with Stephen Hawking
>other founder fucks off to buy an NHL team

It's actually a wonder BlackBerry is still around in some form.
>>
They have a niche. Whether real or imagined, they are making the most of it to sell pocket computers.
>>
if they focused on actually creating a secure corporate ready device instead of screwing around they could have stuck in a proper niche

I feel it's too late for Blackberry at this point
>>
>>56082722
It's a bit more secure than an average stock Android phone. Normie-friendly.

But... it won't sell. Shipment has alreayd been delayed by 1 week, which I assume is due to poor pre-orders.
>>
>>56083126
imagine if years ago they made a corporate/organization deployment ready device that easily integrates into corporate services and needs

make it sysadmin friendly, have an actual secure OS instead of skinned lagdroid

I know this is easier said than done but Blackberry was in the position to do this due to their earlier popularity in the cell phone market
>>
>>56081836
>android passport never ever
Blackberry literally hates money
>>
>>56083178
They could have been HUGE, if not for the lazy, cocky management of the past ~4-5 years, before Chen came in.

They had BBM, they had keyboard phones, they has their own OS, they has (and still do to a certain extent) governments and corporations eating out of their hand.

This was a humongous flop, and a very sad one, too. Now we only have iOS and Android to choose from. What a fucking shame.
>>
File: 1452305634046.jpg (500KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1452305634046.jpg
500KB, 1280x1707px
>>56081465
>"most secure"
>visibly has GApps and Chrome installed
>>
Well, no Google play store but you can download apps from amazon or third party sources

Clover works very well
>>
>>56083240
>wanting a downgraded Passport
BB10OS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Android
>>
>>56083604
BB10 is a beautiful OS, but people demand apps, and without apps any OS is crippled. Look at WinPhone.
>>
>>56083615
You realize BB10OS can run Android apps too, right? Hell, I even have the Play Store.
>>
>>56083604
It's veeery smooth. I've had several android phones of all tier levels and this is probably the smoothest plus longest battery life I've had
>>
>>56083626
do you need to install Google play services?
>>
>>56083626
Sure it can, and me and you know how to do it, but does the average consumer? Nope. All they know is that BB has no apps.

NATIVE apps is what any OS needs. There, is that better?
>>
>>56081465
>>56083288
>major apps ping your location thousands of times per week
Carriers also sell the location data from what towers your phone connects to to advertisers see: >>56083345

In what ways is this phone supposed to be more secure?
>>
>>56083652
You can't even if you want to.

>>56083669
Sure you've worded it better but regardless it comes with the Amazon app store for Android apps and normies definitely know how to open an app store and how to use one.
>>
>>56083248
>governments and corporations eating out of their hand.
this exactly
an enterprise grade phone with one stop shop for features would be greatly valued compared to the tedious setup of making a consumer line phone into something that can be used for a corp/gov

if they focused on sec and enterprise features they would still be a go to phone. It's too late in this market though. This needed to be done when the market was still immature
>>
>>56081465
>Blackberry

Literally who?
>>
>>56083700
Spotted the underage
>>
>>56083700
The phone that your gay daddies used for sexting.
>>
>>56083076
>secure corporate ready device
iPhone
BB got canned by big business for iPhone
>>
>>56083768
>he actually believes the iPhone is secure
>>
>>56081465
WHAT THE FUCK

what ever happened to pic related?

WHERE THE FUCK IS MY CHEAP ANDROID BLACKBERRY WITH A GOD DAMN KEYBOARD
>>
File: BlackBerry Vienna.png (129KB, 451x451px) Image search: [Google]
BlackBerry Vienna.png
129KB, 451x451px
>>56083837
Doesn't the Priv go for like $300? That's relatively cheap, especially for a flagship. Also iirc the Vienna's coming out at some point this year. If I ever give in and get an Android BlackBerry, It'll probably be this one.
>>
Normie here.

I've owned two BBs and they were the best phones I ever had. I own an iPhone now but I plan to ditch this shit when they release a new BB (if it has physical keyboard).
>>
>>56081564
Not the only person with a priv
Typing with one right now
>>
>>56081465
>>56085314
Just watched the video.

>Blackberry
>No keyboard
>Android
>Probably not iDEN
>Probably no BBM

I'm disappoint. It was good while it lasted, let it sink now...
>>
>>56085379
Android and iOS both have BBM
>>
>>56081836
write your own whatsapp application and rake in the dough.

>>56082636
Speaking of speakers, the priv is even worse than the Z10. Disappointing for the premium price.

>>56083604
100% this. Read the rest of the post and know how salty I am about having to use Android.
> apps? great. everything else? not so much

>notifications puke everywhere, even with the half finished hub. On BB10, they would have been put into a "general" bucket
>multitasking and determining app state is difficult and confusing with the "recent apps" screen
>no separate screen lock and encryption passwords until 6.0
>various permissions and privacy issues that don't need to be mentioned again (some fixes upstream in 7.0)
>"convenience key" does nothing but mutes; doesn't toggle playback globally; can't map it.
>volume keys get grabbed by apps when music is playing; though sometimes this is nice, like in connectbot.
>apps take events on a contention basis(?): run 2 background music apps and see which one starts playing audio first. It might end up being that both play audio.
>broken mediaplayer implementation on 6.0 prevents FLAC from playing past an initial buffer
>missing built-in file sharing and device data management abilities of BB10, i.e. smb/webdav shares for network mounting, nfc file transfer support across platforms (Android sends beam, receives everything else), plug in as usb only to charge or mount the SD card directly as a USB drive
>lower anecdotal call quality, worse stock dialer application (better search)

Tell me it gets better, priv bros.
>>
I have a classic, I like it but the screen is too small and lack op app ecosystem makes it a bit hard sometimes (can still get android apps though). Other than that it's a really solid phone.

Will upgrade to the next premium blackberry android phone. Skipping the Priv for now
>>
>>56083178

How nice of you to describe Symbian.
>>
>>56081465
I hate the lack of a keyboard but your average /g/ autist should probably be happy that Blackberry is talking to normies about the importance of privacy and security in the digital era.
>>
>>56086367
16:9 or 4:3 at 4.8-5" curved screen
trackpoint from the classic
blackberry keyboard
fingerprint reader
wireless charging
3500mAH battery
USB-C with micro USB adapter in box

wind up those wishlists anon
>>
>>56081836
Just install the Android version. It works, though it isn't as nice.
>>
The bbm normie craze was fun. Getting nudes and shit with that screenmunch app was gureito
>>
>>56081465
>Why did Blackberry go full retard?

Refused to go Android and kept its own OS that had fuck all apps and support, and normies don't want a phone that does nothing.

They also make their entire corporate identity as being a secure phone (aiming for business and government use) and then turn around during their bad times and brag about how they give user into to foreign entities and governments.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/blackberry-taps-user-messages-1.3620186
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.