[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't they make an installer for gentoo? I feel bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Gblend.png (1MB, 1873x1917px) Image search: [Google]
Gblend.png
1MB, 1873x1917px
Why don't they make an installer for gentoo? I feel bad for all the people who don't use it because they can't install it, and then get all "sour grapes" on /g/. It really is a great distro when you get past the installation
>>
I thought funtoo was gust gen2 with an installer.
>>
>>56063001
No

Try Calculate Linux
>>
>>56062989
Isn't the installation process kind of the whole point?
>>
I've been using gentoo as my daily OS for over 10 years now and I'm still not past the installation
>>
>>56063059
No, the whole point is its god tier package manager.

But the bullshit about Gentoo is the fact that the minimal installation CD has only WEP support for WiFi. Like if you use WPA you need to use Ethernet first and then install WPA drivers so that you can use WiFi…
>>
How the fuck are you supposed to be able to use Gentoo if you can't even install it by following a step-by-step guide?
>>
>>56063138
what is a systemrescuecd...
>>
>>56063138
Yeah it's pretty bs. That's probably how they lose 90% of their potential dau

>>56063217
systemrescuecd has shit driver support as well
>>
>>56063138
>minimal installation CD
That's your problem, even Ubuntu live CD is a better installation medium than the "official" installation CD. Or just put a SystemRescueCd on a USB stick and use that, could come in handy later as well
>>
>>56062989
> Why don't they make an installer for gentoo?
This is a legit question. Even FreeBSD have it since v9.
>>
>>56063268
> Why don't they make an installer for gentoo?
Because they are literally retarded.
They made something really good but somehow their autism prevents them from making something user friendly at same time.
>>
>>56063138
The gentoo installation media really sucks imo. It only boots to GRUB so you can't use it to make your OS boot via EFI rather than BIOS. I also had problems with systemrescueCD so I just used the arch installation image and had no problems
>>
>>56062989
>>56063001
>>56063049
I thought Sabayon was just Gentoo with an installer
>>
>>56063049
>>56066043

So should I try Calculate Linux or Sabayon? What's the difference?
>>
>>56066917
They're pretty similar, but it looks like Calculate Linux is more straight forward and less bloat with the super minimal install: http://www.calculate-linux.org/main/en/cls

Also Sabayon seems to have its own binary package manager along side Portage
>>
>Gentoo
>Funtoo

pls, install exherbo
>>
>>56062989
>>56063138
>>5606553
How the fuck is pressing radio buttons and clicking next better than doing it yourself? And if you don't like the installation media just make one yourself (or use some other distro). Gentoo allows you to install it from any linux environment (as long as you have the stage3 tarball) precisely because it doesn't have the installer.

But that being said I personally see little use in source driven distros.
Last time I installed gentoo it went like this:
>finally, the 5 hour compilation of xorg-server is over!
>let me compile nvidia drivers now
>*compiling nvidia-drivers*
>damn it doesn't work, let me compile FOSS drivers
>*hours of copmiling xf86-driver-nouveau*
>finally, now let's compile firefox
>*hours of compiling firefox*
>damn it doesn't work well under this driver. I'll compile Chromium instead.
>*hours of compiling chromium*
Literally what's the point? I could have just tried these things out under 5min in a binary distro like Arch instead of waiting hours for something to compile just to see it doesn't work.
If you you think this is productive for some reason please tell me.
>>
File: 1451504440089.jpg (251KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1451504440089.jpg
251KB, 800x533px
>>56063049
Literally just that OP. Protip: change to the compiled branch once it's installed

>>56067020
sabayon is poo in a loo the distro. don't even bother.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.