[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Chrome OS a great solution for making old laptops usable for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 04_-_App_List.png (405KB, 620x388px) Image search: [Google]
04_-_App_List.png
405KB, 620x388px
Is Chrome OS a great solution for making old laptops usable for seniors?

Currently visiting family out in the country, and aside from having a paid vacation around the mountains I typically get asked to do routine computer maintenance.

Would popping in a cheap ass 60GB SSD and throwing Chrome OS be the best solution for helping seniors with laptops? They do nothing more than browse the web, view pictures, watch youtube. Skype is still foreign to them but I see it is possible with some tweaking. Just curious if there's any drawbacks to using it on an old laptop.
>>
Hey fuck you my grandfather went to MIT and learned javascript
>>
>>56052458
That's the reason Chrome OS exists, OP

Since they are so fucking cheap too + it just werks for seniors that refuse to learn how to use a computer as well.
It's like a less expensive and easier Apple OS
>>
>>56052582
K, just making sure there's no real drawbacks before I take the time to do this. I was considering slapping on linux but even that makes me nervous they will destroy it and call me up a week later. Best part is being in 4 hour time zone difference, so I get calls after I get home from work in the late hours of the night.

I'll give the most competent adult out there with a regular windows laptop in case they still have to do anything moderately serious.
>>
>>56052654
>I was considering slapping on linux but even that makes me nervous they will destroy it and call me up a week later
Well if that was your job, you should have put linux in it so you get more money

But i guess you're cool and you don't have time to deal with their shit either so, Chrome OS is OK
>>
>>56052707
I don't want to deal with it regularly. Tech support is not my job and I hate it.
>>
just wondering, what adblocking method compatible with it? hosts file ?
>>
>>56052458
Solus
>>
>>56052823
Couldn't you just install uBlock?
>>
Elders will never fully understand a laptop or desktop no matter what the OS is. Just buy them a tablet and install apps they will need, and show them how to download games. Every time you visit them, you get the clean all the bloat and games they never play installed. It's the best case scenario.
>>
Are there any web browsers that play Netflix besides Google Chrome, without needing pipeline?
>>
>>56052879
This is secondary family, I ain't buying them shit. I'm just doing enough for them not to bug me.
>>
>>56052823
Well, it runs chrome so I would imagine any of the many as blockers available for chrome
>>
>>56052581
do you really consider your grandfather a representative sample of the average senior's computer literacy?
>>
>>56052458
Last time I checked Chrome OS doesn't work decently with less than 2 GB of RAM, so old ass laptops won't really work fine
>>
>>56052899
idk about on a chromebook, but if you have chromium and chromium-widevine installed you can watch netflix, amazon prime, ect
>>
ChromeOS is in breakable, even by old people anti technomancy magic.
It will be just fine for em, show them Tinychat for video chatting.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.